Art, Craft and Needlework, August, 2012

A place for Artistry, Crafts and Needlework; Decorating and Holidays.
Harmony

Re: Art, Craft and Needlework, August, 2012

Postby Harmony » Tue Aug 28, 2012 2:01 pm

I made one apron with one long strap sewed onto one side. At the other side I sewed a double round metal ring. The loose end of the strap can be fed through the rings and doubled back through one of the rings and adjust the length. I like that method the best!

Harriet

Postby Harriet » Tue Aug 28, 2012 2:07 pm

Apron neck thoughts
I initially thought of a row of attractive buttons on the strap for every-inch adjustability and showing off cute buttons. (As long as hair wouldn't become entangled) For tradition's sake (European) a collectible antique diaper pin would work decoratively in the way your friend's idea does. Also a row of buttonholes on the strap, but that could affect sturdiness. I don't like velcro around the face, but for someone who always wears hair back or short it could work. Tricky, though. If you want to know what I've actually seen done, a small metal belt-cinch on one side - like what would be used to adjust a purse strap - though it would not look traditional. Oh, I think that is nearly the idea I see Harmony just posted. Hi, Harmony! We must have been here together.

The ultimate answer is the wonderful old-fashioned H-back full apron, but of course that's not always going to be possible/available or what you want. This lovely one is the ideal, of course. :D There we all are girls, when we grow up.

Nancy
Location: Washington state in the Pacific Northwestern part of the USA.

Postby Nancy » Tue Aug 28, 2012 4:59 pm

Couple more puppets done took what I had to the church and I've sort of lost count so hoping to get enough done this week I"m at the bottom of the yarn sack as well.

BookSaver
Administrator

Postby BookSaver » Fri Aug 31, 2012 10:57 pm

Quoting myself from Sunday PWYC:
I have been asked to make a bunch of small bags cut from a fallen soldier's camo uniform. The bags will be auction items at an event next weekend, raising funds to put up a memorial to this young man as well as others from his home town.

Check in:
Sewing project completed. Delivered 5 smallish bags with clips to fasten to jeans belt loops (used by motorcycle riders) and 2 small drawstring bags.

The drawstring bags were just the bottoms of the pants, which already had casings and strong ribbon drawstrings in the hems. All I had to do was cut them off, run a French seam across the new "bottom" and tie the ends of the ribbon together to make a "handle." I don't expect these to get a high bid, they were an afterthought and I thought someone might use them to store tools or device chargers.

I went through several designs trying to come up with the best use of fabric before I cut into the uniform. The bags needed to be a rather specific size because they're worn while riding a motorcycle. The original intent was to utilize the multiple pockets with Velcro closures, but that did not work out at all.

I did end up with 2 bags that had small pockets on the outside. Each bag was a little different. They were all unlined bags with a zipper closure. I did French seams instead of lining, for time's sake.

For the next batch when I have more time, I can add a lining with a pocket or 2.

I have requested feedback about the size and whether or not the clips I was given are strong enough to last. She gave me packages that were labeled as "jewelry" fasteners so they were barely large enough to clip around a belt loop. I went to 3 different stores looking for purse hardware (the clips for removable handles), but everyone was out of stock.

Note to self -- search for clips online. Search hardware stores, though they might have ones that are too large and clunky. For example, I think a dog leash clip might be overkill.

Nancy
Location: Washington state in the Pacific Northwestern part of the USA.

Postby Nancy » Sat Sep 01, 2012 10:09 am

Last puppet is underway yea! SO glad to be at the end of this batch.
Looking forward to getting back to some knitting after this.

Return to “The Creative Home”