Art, Craft and Needlework, August, 2012

A place for Artistry, Crafts and Needlework; Decorating and Holidays.
Harriet

Art, Craft and Needlework, August, 2012

Postby Harriet » Thu Aug 02, 2012 10:35 am

Welcome! Come in and tell about your art! For many of us it's HOT and literally pressing us inside. So this many be an excellent chance to pick up a crafty task, go on a decorating tangent, or tackle a UFO. What are the creative outlets that are exciting you for August?

Last month in our thread,

BookSaver made others welcome at Sewing Camp, plus worked on dish-scrubbies, a scarf and jackets.
Harmony quilted happily along by the window, completing the newest of her quilts for grandsons
Nancy readied 8 puppets for children at church, crocheted on a shawl and kept up with knitting projects.
Sunny noted in PWYC that she's cutting out the pieces for her grandson's quilt now.
Harriet put on a circus themed birthday party and is claiming that for craft time!

Nancy
Location: Washington state in the Pacific Northwestern part of the USA.

Re: Art, Craft and Needlework, August, 2012

Postby Nancy » Thu Aug 02, 2012 4:27 pm

I now have 10 puppets ready for the church project. I like to keep them here until I"m done so I can make 'em all just a bit different.

Sage green shawl is a few rows longer now.
I also have a cranberry colored one going.

Thinking of at least one more costume to sew up to use for Bible times character.

Nancy

Postby Nancy » Fri Aug 03, 2012 4:27 pm

Big sigh just as I suspected there are no costumes @ the church and they want to do a Christmas program. :? So I'm thinking and remembering what has been done in the past with bathrobes, curtains, old sheets & fabric.

BookSaver
Administrator

Postby BookSaver » Sat Aug 04, 2012 9:30 pm

Upcoming projects:

1) DH's nephew & wife are helping with a fund raiser for a memorial to local guys killed in Afghanistan. They have asked me to look at a "fanny pack" she has, and see if I can copy it to make some from the fallen soldiers' uniforms. They think they can sell them at the fund raiser. I really want to help with this, but they just asked me yesterday and the event is September 1st. I told them I would not guarantee any quantity because it's too late to ask anyone in my sewing group to help, but I'll do as many as I can after I get back from my trip mid-month. They are meeting us at DMIL's tomorrow afternoon and bringing the stuff for me to start figuring it out.

2) At the book sale today, there were a bunch of library Tshirts that they marked down to $4. All they had left were the smaller sizes. I like the bright blue color and the logo looks really nice, so I bought one. My plan is to figure out a way to cut it up and combine it with another Tshirt so I end up with something that fits me. The problem is that they made the logo large enough to cover the whole upper back, and put "Got books?" in really large letters on the center front. I may just cut out the logo and put it on another shirt, and then do some color blocking with the remaining blue fabric.

3) I still have to alter a pretty floral summer dress that's too big for me. I would like to wear it at least once this summer!

4) Almost forgot that new purse pattern with the 120-petal flower. It's been too hot to even think about ironing the cotton fabric.

Nancy

Postby Nancy » Sun Aug 05, 2012 10:23 am

Booksaver if it were me I would focus on just doing one and take it to show then take orders. Then maybe you could get help from the group later.

I've made two shy of having enough puppets to say I have half done. [A count of 13 at the moment.]

Saw vests in a box at a yard someone had made for sale for $15. marked down to $5. but were not displayed well and not selling.

Made a tote bag out of old tee shirts yesterday tweaking this a bit more to work up later on.

BookSaver
Administrator

Postby BookSaver » Sun Aug 05, 2012 11:47 pm

I can't take the risk of offering to take orders. She told me they've had RSVPs for the event date from several hundred people planning to attend. (Wow!) I'm not going to be able to attend the event myself, and I don't want someone else making promises on my behalf.

I'll just do as many as I can before the event. If I run out of time, I'll tell her how many more I think I can make from the supplies she gave me. Those can be for family members that she sees often so she can deliver when finished.

She brought me the sample bag and only 1 uniform, so she's obviously not expecting a huge quantity. That's a relief! She thinks she has another of his uniforms somewhere and will look for it.

The bag is quite small, the size of a wristlet, that clips to the belt loops of jeans. The sample has a zipper top, but we agreed that it would be cool if I can figure out a way to use the uniform pockets with their heavy-duty Velcro closures.

Quite a coincidence, yesterday's sewing shows on public tv included one by a designer who makes things from uniforms.
Deploy that Fabric: 23 Sewing Projects Use Military Uniforms in Everyday Life by Jen Eskridge
http://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/deploy- ... 1607052449

There's a link to the table of contents with a list of the projects. Looks like a lot of fun stuff. I sent the link to DNiece so she can see if her local book store has it in stock.

The young man's mother apparently still has a lot of his uniforms. She might find something in the book to help her deal with letting go of some of them.

Nancy

Postby Nancy » Mon Aug 06, 2012 10:18 am

I made up some tee shirt bags and then used jean fabric for one and it turned out well I still need to tweak the strap a bit but was happy how it turned out.

I'm half way done on the puppets now. Yea!

BookSaver
Administrator

Postby BookSaver » Mon Aug 06, 2012 11:08 am

Nancy, I really like the way you have made it a priority to do something creative every day.

Nancy

Postby Nancy » Mon Aug 06, 2012 5:17 pm

Thanks for saying that Booksaver! It's too hot to do much outside these days so I'm delving in to my crafting supplies.

Nancy

Postby Nancy » Thu Aug 09, 2012 9:57 am

I made a couple more puppets and got some knitting done on prayer shawl projects. My ankle was bothering me so got a bit more crafting done.

After doing The Artist's Way by Julia Cameron book I try to do something creative each day and journal.

Return to “The Creative Home”