Art, Craft and Needlework, September, 2012

A place for Artistry, Crafts and Needlework; Decorating and Holidays.
Harmony

Re: Art, Craft and Needlework, September, 2012

Postby Harmony » Sat Sep 22, 2012 9:11 pm

Harriet, do you put your wreath on the inside or the outside? Our door is 3/4 glass, similar to leaded glass between 2 smooth glass panels. We picked the one that has the highest privacy number. Still, I can put my eye against one of the glass pieces and see who's there, although they can be distorted.

I have success using those suction hooks, which I moisten and then press to the glass. I use three of them in a small arc. My heaviest wreath is my Christmas one, all made of pinecones. But I am mindful to keep an eye on them and give them an extra press to the glass if I see one coming off.

I got my fabrics together and separated into piles for the next 2 quilts. One was just screaming for some red and I shuddered to think I'd have the same problem of the dye migrating like before... but I bit the bullet and got the red out and rewashed.. astounded to see red was coming out. But 4 washings in the sink and 4 rinses seemed to do the trick. Water from the last rinse in a clear glass appears to be absolutely clear, and laying it out on white paper towel left no red behind. So, wish me luck. I have the quilt top all put together in my head.

Harmony

Postby Harmony » Wed Sep 26, 2012 8:46 pm

Now I come with the all-time most stupid question. Hopefully somebody who uses a rotary cutter can answer me.

My cutter got loose and fell apart, pieces went every which way all over the floor. I couldn't figure out how to get it together again.

I took apart an old one, very carefully, I got the pieces together but the little curved metal washer slithered away, from who knows where.

I think I got the new cutter together. blade guard in the front with retaining disk on top, blade next underneath the guard with the bolt going through all. On the back is the loosening/tightening nut. between the nut and the back of the cutter is the little washer. Is that right? When I took the old one apart, the washer appeared to be stuck in the back side of the guard which would make it on the front side of the cutter and not the back. My new cutter doesn't quite go together right that way. They are both Fis kars and I can't quite find this model anywhere to see a picture. Found a picture of the old one and it appears similar to the way I put the new one together but doesn't show the washer.

Videos online are either different models with no guard or not completely taken apart to change a blade.

I'm sure I don't have the talent for all this that some do. I have just enough perseverance to get it accomplished regardless. Right now I'm about to go back to using scissors.

Harriet

Postby Harriet » Wed Sep 26, 2012 9:51 pm

I thought about several answers and have decided on this one: take it to the fabric store and ask there. I can't envision it so I'm scared to say this is right or that is wrong because I don't happen to have that brand. I think this is just a matter of loosening up, not breaking, but what if I'm wrong. I know I've had one start "wobbling" as though it needed to be tightened and I have successfully figured out how to tighten, but again, not the same brand and I don't know if I'd be telling you right.

On my 2 Dritz, it goes: bolt (front part of which is larger), blade, blade guard, full handle, soft-to-hard lever, washer. See? Just not close enough to know.

Although I feel your frustration, at this point I would wait until I had a rotary cutter ready to go, even if I had to buy new (which you shouldn't - folks at the fabric store sell extra blades so should know their stuff about putting one together). When looking at the cutting for a quilt, the time the rotary cutter will save you over scissors will make such a difference.

I know exactly what you mean when you say you have it put together in your head. That is such pleasant thinking when you are lying down to go to sleep - piecing the quilt in your head.

Ivy

Postby Ivy » Thu Sep 27, 2012 12:38 pm

Harmony, Did you take your rotary cutter to a fabric store? :?: How did it turn out?

Harriet, I just wanted to thank you for telling me about your quilting and your shoulders, doing the shoulder rolls to loosen up your shoulders, to relax! :!:

Yesterday, I crocheted on the 5-Point Granny afghan for awhile, I did shoulder rolls periodically, and kept my elbows ON the arms of my chair, for added support, so my arms aren't flying around wildly, loose, and causing pain! It worked so much better! Thanks for your tips! :D
Touch the earth, love the earth, her plains, her valleys, her seas. Rest your soul in her solitary places. ~Henry Beston

Nancy
Location: Washington state in the Pacific Northwestern part of the USA.

Postby Nancy » Fri Sep 28, 2012 11:08 am

I finished another sage green pot holder last night.

Harmony

Postby Harmony » Sun Sep 30, 2012 2:27 pm

I'm not doing any extra running around these days, and I did get my rotary cutters back together, though they are both different and shouldn't be. I did some cutting and it was ok. I'll check next time I'm down there, but will use it this way unless something seems amiss.

I cut another couple pieces of fabric. At this rate I'll be done about 2015.

Return to “The Creative Home”