Art, Craft and Needlework, September, 2012

A place for Artistry, Crafts and Needlework; Decorating and Holidays.
Harmony

Re: Art, Craft and Needlework, September, 2012

Postby Harmony » Fri Sep 14, 2012 9:50 pm

Nancy, I find working on light-colored fabrics easier too. And bright sunlight is always better than artificial light.

Booksaver, you are always full of such great ideas. I'm thinking I probably couldn't do anything with T-Shirts. My machine is very old and doesn't have a stretch stitch. I tried to re-hem too-long t-shirts once and at the first stretch those hem seams broke.

MT that is adorable. What size frame does it go in?

I am stalled with my sewing. I have the binding material washed and on the table. But I can't seem to find the energy to tackle it. Every day I say I'm gonna, and every night I say tomorrow. Sigh... and the clock is ticking... I wonder how Sunny is coming with hers?

Ivy

Postby Ivy » Sat Sep 15, 2012 1:03 pm

I got so cold after dinner last night! I had a fleece top on, too. So I folded a berber throw in half and safety pinned it at my chest/neck area. :lol:

But then I got an idea! :idea: I had a 2-strand long lap robe I'd been crocheting on early this past spring for me. Why not see if it "fits" and can be a 2-strand shawl instead. I got it out, it FITS just fine, so I'm trying to finish it up today.

I'm doing 6 rows of white/lavender HDC, then 3 rows purple/white HDC, then peach/lavender for 6 rows, then 6 rows lavender white, repeat. I'm using a "P" hook. I'll take an "N" or "M" hook to edge it with. I could never put a fringe on it because I have a Tortie cat who is very playful when she sees loose yarn. :lol: I don't want her to attack me all the time.

I have another idea, :idea: although I don't know how it'll pan out. I thought if I took 2 strands, chained them, and made a "tie" out of them it'd work. I'll weave it in at my chest/neck area, to tie, to keep the shawl on me, so my hands are "free" at the laptop, while I read, crochet, eat, write letters or journal, etc.... Anyway, I'll report back if my idea worked. It sounds kind of odd ball, but I think it'll serve its purpose and it's not an entry to the State fair. It's functional, not beautiful. ;)
Touch the earth, love the earth, her plains, her valleys, her seas. Rest your soul in her solitary places. ~Henry Beston

BookSaver
Administrator

Postby BookSaver » Sat Sep 15, 2012 1:22 pm

Emptynester ~ your picture mat is terrific.

Ivy ~ I think your shawl idea will work fine, and the colors sound very pretty.

I've been able to stick to my goal of 15 minutes every day something related to sewing ... but very little that actually looks like I've done anything. :roll: :) At the very least, I'm organizing projects for sewing retreat next month.

Harriet

Postby Harriet » Sun Sep 16, 2012 4:19 pm

Found something for our yarn artists when I was actually searching for decorative upholstered pillows. Random Yarn Pillow I feel comfortable posting because this etsy artist explains that she's already sold this. I just thought what a lovely use of scraps, and it was by far the most interesting look in a group of photos that came up. If you click on it you can see the stitch closer.

I'm very pleased to have finished my decision-making on my decorating project. I also got a little sample of fabric to consider which would make a wonderful seasonal Christmas pillow, but I don't really have the ability to sew much.

Might get around to finishing the ornaments I mentioned in Holiday thread.

Emptynester, I was trying to post to you about your lovely school days stitchery when the websites were hacked by the bad guys. I really think it looks like it will be an heirloom any young woman will be happy to have for a lifetime.

Harmony

Postby Harmony » Sun Sep 16, 2012 4:34 pm

It's sorta sad here that we can't do much in the way of fuzzy warm things. We do have a few weeks where I'm looking for something warm to wear, and we keep a light afghan for throwing over a lap when the a/c seems too breezy, cool (not often). So, I like the double yarn idea and the yarn pillow. I used to make stuff like that up north. But I guess it'd be lost here.

My favorite thing I've made is a longish lap quilt size fleece quilt, just fleece on both sides quilted together. Just absolutely right with a sheet. Oh, Harriet, it's geometric print on one side, same color solid with white stars on the back. See, I told you I like geometrics!

I got myself out of my rut today. Boy was it hard. I got the ironing board out, found my big cutting mat under the bed, and set up the dining room. I've ironed the fabric and cut the strips for my binding, next will be sewing them together. Can't say how very hard it was to get started again.

Harmony

Postby Harmony » Thu Sep 20, 2012 10:54 am

Quilt binding is complete. All I have left is the label!

Oh, remember the neighborhood quilt shop that closed their shop? Last week I found it up the street in another spot! I must go see if they have the stuff I need to wash my 2nd quilt.

Emptynester

Postby Emptynester » Thu Sep 20, 2012 8:47 pm

RE: my picture mat questions.

The size is 12 X 18 so DH has to make or adjust the picture frames as we can't find any that size. For the first couple we lived at home and I could find larger ones from garage sales, etc. and he would fix. The last few have come from Wally world and we have painted them to match the stitching.

Harriet - unfortunately, my daughter has not put any pictures in any of her (5) daughters frames. I found them all stacked up on the top of her bookcase. But as it was a gift - I gave it away. Someday the girls will realize what I did for them.

Thank you for the complements.
It’s never too late to be what you might have been.
“You are never too old to set another goal or to dream a new dream.”
― C.S. Lewis

Nancy
Location: Washington state in the Pacific Northwestern part of the USA.

Postby Nancy » Thu Sep 20, 2012 11:20 pm

This week I finished the sage green prayer shawl I've been working on.

Harmony

Postby Harmony » Sat Sep 22, 2012 4:26 pm

Well, MT, it seems as though others do not understand the time and effort gone into homemade gifts for them. I find it sad after all the effort spent. I was sad to see my favorite quilt so far folded and put up on a shelf, while similar store-bought one was being used. I'm sure in her case she was concerned about keeping it in good shape...but still...

Quilt label is made and sewed on. I put the striped binding fabric around a square of pale blue and lettered in the middle. I was amazed that I used up a whole afternoon doing this.

I'm in the planning stages for next quilt.

Harriet

Postby Harriet » Sat Sep 22, 2012 6:34 pm

Harmony, I'm thrilled for you on the finish of yet another grandchild quilt. Woo Hoo! Ah, the planning stage - how fun is that? A merry heart doeth good like a medicine, and planning the next quilt - that's like 3 Abbott and Costello movies rolled into one feel-good activity.

Emptynester, there is a good possibility she has gathered photos, though, and has a plan of getting this done. I know it would be just like me to have a stack of photos but still not have accomplished the framing.

I like sage green a lot, Nancy. It's unusual in that it's a light color that can still be kind of sophisticated.

I decluttered magazines and catalogs today. It was tough, but I let all the Clotilde and Current catalogs go except the most recent ones. :) I always figure the very cutest idea is probably in the very catalog pages I just tossed!!! :roll:

I switched out my wall-sized quilts in the living areas and it was so pleasant to see again the autumn ones I've made. My Tree-of-Life is especially nice. My Broken Star is graphic and crisp but doesn't have as many fabrics, so doesn't look as special.

I tried to switch the wreath for the one I've used in cool months before, but it is heavier and POP! there went the nail that has been holding wreaths for 20 years. Sigh. Dd32 will give me a disapproving look, as she told me I ought to toss that heavy wreath. I was able to get the lightweight wreath back up at least, but the little nail is barely hanging on.

I'd like one of those over-the-door hangars but HRH says they hurt the weather-stripping and he'd rather not. He says he'd like me to stop wreaths at the panes of the front door and put up a curtain instead. But I like the partial line-of-sight the wreaths offer, and a curtain would have to be pretty deep/long to cover the normal person's eye-level. If I could do it with a valance, sure, but it will have to be tiers and I'd probably have to hem to get the right length. He doesn't understand why I'm not more private about someone standing at my front door when I'm so private otherwise. I guess I figure if someone has taken the trouble to come to my porch they are already my guest.

Return to “The Creative Home”