*** Holiday Planning, 2012 ***

A place for Artistry, Crafts and Needlework; Decorating and Holidays.
Ivy

Re: *** Holiday Planning, 2012 ***

Postby Ivy » Thu Dec 20, 2012 4:29 pm

I finished the wrapping and gift bagging. Have only hats to do now. Only 6 of them. I put my mess away, except for patterned tissue paper and the hats and cards, because they'll have gifts inside each card with each of their hats. :)

I only had to scold Kitty cat ONCE, when she was about to trip me up as I was feverishly trekking from the eating bar to the dining room table. Then, she was my "helper", stayed out from under foot and was ALL EYES at what must be going on! I know she doesn't know, but she's very expressive and reminds me of Garfield the cat commercials from years ago. :lol: She's 1/2 Calico and 1/2 Tortoise Shell. Looking down from above her, she looks Tortie, but under her belly and chest, she looks Calico!

It was nice to have a "helper"! :lol:
Touch the earth, love the earth, her plains, her valleys, her seas. Rest your soul in her solitary places. ~Henry Beston

Nancy
Location: Washington state in the Pacific Northwestern part of the USA.

Postby Nancy » Fri Dec 21, 2012 10:31 am

We have a family thing Sat. evening need to plan what to make take. Thawing a cherry cheese cake, turkey breast to grill / smoke, and some treats for kids to take.

That is good b/c it will free us up for Christmas Eve service this year.

Ivy

Postby Ivy » Sat Dec 22, 2012 9:14 pm

Our Dfriends gave us 3 glass candle holders in red, which you put tea lights in. So pretty. I'll save them for Christmas Day when tiny children aren't around.

Next, I need to wrap hats and get cards filled, labeled and ready for Christmas Eve gift exchange. :idea: I'll try to do it this evening, so there is less to do Sunday. Sunday we plan on cleaning, but I'll do some tonight, so that everything isn't hitting us tomorrow.

Happy Holiday Planning, Everyone! :D
Touch the earth, love the earth, her plains, her valleys, her seas. Rest your soul in her solitary places. ~Henry Beston

Nancy

Postby Nancy » Sun Dec 23, 2012 4:28 am

Dsis sent a card and letter in it she talked about having a Christmas tea with mom sounded like so much fun I am thinking of borrowing that idea.
Bil will be here on Christmas Day and dkids want to come to see their uncle so I need to get ready for that. [Fighting a bit of a cold tonight can't sleep so I got back up and having coffee while I plan.]

Ivy

Postby Ivy » Tue Dec 25, 2012 2:13 pm

Now onto planning for the New Year! :idea: I have made some cards with goals on them for 2013, which I need to put around the house and 1 in my purse.

Also, I'll be working with 2 books: "A Confident Heart," by Renee Swope and "A Perfect Word," by Debbie Macomber, too. They'll be sort of a "Quietude" time thing I'm doing for myself. :D I think they'll help me to be more confident and to be a better person,too.

DH and I have gotten 2 gifts of meats and cheeses, so we'll have New Year's Eve goodies this year, too. :idea: We watch fireworks on TV at the Space Needle. :D :D

Harmony

Postby Harmony » Sat Dec 29, 2012 10:04 pm

What did you all learn that worked or didn't work this holiday?

I learned that being flexible and helpful while I was away was the best way to be. Keeping my expectations low worked also.

Perhaps next year things will be easier, I won't have been ill beforehand, and I'll get a better start on everything. I learned that the world didn't come to an end because I had no decorations except the wreath outside. I learned that I did miss having some lights outside. I need to find something easy to do next year.

Nancy

Postby Nancy » Sat Dec 29, 2012 10:41 pm

A back up plan is a good thing to have like if original plans do not workout
like bad weather can't go where we were expecting to go we ate at home with the cold cuts we had bought for just in case!

Ivy

Postby Ivy » Sun Dec 30, 2012 10:35 pm

I learned this year, we had to accommodate our adult children and do Christmas celebrating when they could. Dson/Ddil/Dgrsons (6 of them) came Christmas Eve. DD was working late that evening, wasn't feeling well, went home to bed, got up to work some more from home, on her job, and went to bed again.

DD and Dgrson-16 came today, Dec. 30, to celebrate Christmas AND her 41st b-day, so we celebrated 2 holidays at one time. :) :)

I believe, by remaining flexible and not getting all worked up over each others' schedules or illnesses, which cannot be helped, everyone's happier, more content, and we all respect one another, show our love for each other and it's just a happier family all the way around.

About my last post here, my plans for the New Year- they've changed. I'm reading ONE book at a time, starting with "A Perfect Word," by Debbie Macomer first. The other book will be next, and sometime in the New Year.

When we all get ready to post our resolutions here, I've got an 8-item list to guide me as I journey through the New Year. They're not difficult things to do, except one will be because it means I'll be working on the job more hours.

I'm looking forward to journeying with you all here, at the Village, in 2013, while we learn so much from each other and get such fantastic, creative, helpful ideas, and support, too! :D

BookSaver
Administrator

Postby BookSaver » Mon Dec 31, 2012 8:48 pm

When I decorate for Christmas, I leave everything up until 12th Night. This year I never did put UP Christmas decorations so don't need to take them DOWN.

However, I did spend time this month dejunking the storage area where the Christmas stuff is supposed to live.

That meant the decorations and gift wrapping supplies were OUT ... and now they're back IN and much better organized.

One minor mis-step: I saw a box of really cute Christmas gift bags at Sam's and almost bought them, but told myself that we had enough at home so buying more would be clutter. Then, of course, I couldn't find the cute ones we already had. I ended up using plainer bags, which were just fine, but I still haven't figured out where I stashed the others. It's possible that I gave them to DSis last year? Therefore, Saturday when we were doing some other shopping, I went ahead and bought a small package of new Christmas gift bags for 50% off. They are safely tucked away on the reorganized shelves so I should be able to find them next December.

It just occurred to me that with the extra space gained in the Christmas storage area, I can put the holiday dishes in there and get them out of the kitchen. :D

Return to “The Creative Home”