*** Holiday Planning, 2012 ***

A place for Artistry, Crafts and Needlework; Decorating and Holidays.
Harriet

Re: *** Holiday Planning, 2012 ***

Postby Harriet » Sat Oct 13, 2012 10:11 pm

Happy to report that both the stamps and the address labels came today. The stamps are little booklets but they still sent them in a large stiff 9x12 envelope. Just for info, the Holy Family stamp is smaller than it appears on the USPS website, which is fine. On the website, it appears as large as scenic stamps like landscapes and ships, but it is really about the size of flags or the 1-cent or 2-cent stamps.

Will have to give zaz zle credit for quickly sending exactly what I customized on their site, in colors, fonts and all the personalization as I had placed it. And the design is printed so precisely there's not a 32nd of an inch off, so none of the words or design is printed too close to the edge. (definitely have that problem when I print labels myself, and our local Hallmark place does, too)

Nancy, no one ever comes to our door for Halloween any more. Used to have folks, but it's been years. So we just don't have much incentive. The grandboys will come on the weekend before, though, and we will dress them up and take them out somewhere - probably a church event. There's a Renaissance Fair but I'm thinking that's expensive. Ddil says she can get dd32 coupons, but I can't imagine they'll take off enough cost to make it seem sensible.

ellyphant, I do that, too - any crease placed right down the middle with a ribbon found to go over it! Some of my packages that are done in folded paper probably look better than with new, because I'm determined with that ribbon! LOL

Ooh, Harmony, there's an :idea: . Another paper could be rolled INSIDE a good solid cardboard roll and save space. See? You may have just given me permission to buy more paper! :o

Ivy

Postby Ivy » Mon Oct 15, 2012 1:26 pm

Harriet, It sounds like you're all set now! :D

Nancy, We don't get anyone on Halloween either. Been that way for years. :(

Harmony, I put rolls of paper inside each other to cut down on storage space, too. :idea:

Elly, We don't do anything for Halloween here. The school has an activity night for kids and at the mall.

Last night, I too 5 good photos, glued them to background paper and put them in a frame. I need to "fix" it though because there are seams :roll: where I added more background paper. I wrapped it anyway, :lol: and it's for DH for Christmas, so I told him he'll need to help me "fix" it. I think we'll glue gold ribbon on the cut paper parts, which will tire in beautifully with the gold designs on the background paper. :idea:
Touch the earth, love the earth, her plains, her valleys, her seas. Rest your soul in her solitary places. ~Henry Beston

blessedw2

Postby blessedw2 » Wed Oct 17, 2012 4:50 pm

great idea dharriet about clearing calendar with dfamily (I will bring my calendar with on dil's gathering
and speak to dkids
dmom leaves for florida in 2 weeks (usually she is gone by now)
look at you getting your stamps and lables together!

divy - so nice about the pictures

hi d elly and d harmony

Halloween: I just love to do fall and sweet halloween decorations - I have painted the windows in the past that turned out very cute, next year I have a wood item I would like to make in the summer. We have pumpkins and corn stalks out front and will have the scare crow. When the dkids were little I let them color face on fabric and fabric crayons, ironed it and then I sewed it as the head. the dkids used their clothes and stuffed them with hay. This year we didn't grow any pumpkins. other years we made Snoopy characters out of wood, and other year we had girl scouts make scare crows. We usually make caramel apples, warm apple cider and in the past did hay rides and corn mazes. Unfortunately at this house we don't have many trick or treaters - I miss that. I wish we were a social couple because I would have a bon fire and a wood walk as my dmom always had a wood walk every fall and a lovely dinner after the chill and a fire place.
it is always a joy to be here with you!

Ivy

Postby Ivy » Mon Oct 22, 2012 12:06 am

I had an occular migraine this morning, no headache's involved in them, stress can bring them on, and since it was in my right eye, I was scared that it was the adhesion. So I let it slowly go away, which was only 20 min., it was a simple occular migraine, but guess what? :?: :lol: It made me proactive! :!: I got our Christmas cards addressed and signed!

I worked on our dgrson's Christmas afghan and I think it's really shaping up. It's a rectangular Granny afghan. I do 2 rows of one color, then 3 rows white, then switch to a different color than used before, for 2 rows again. I am loving how bright and cheery it's looking and I know he'll love it, too. He turns 4 on 2-10-13.

I got out the 5-point Granny afghan to finish after the rectangle one's done. It would be so nice to have them both done by Thurs, Nov. 1! :idea: Then, I plan on crocheting them each a toy and making DD and her BF each slouch hats. That will be all of the Christmas crochet I'll be doing this year.

After Christmas crochet is done, I'll be crocheting baby girl things, for our March-due-date first granddaughter. I'd love to give Ddil and DS the baby things at Christmas, rather than shipping them. Also, her last 2 babies were 3 month preemies, which means the baby girl could be here in JAN.! :o They have several preemie things, from the previous 2 babies. I'm counting on this baby going to full term, I hope. ♥

It's nice to know that Thanksgiving is just around the corner. I'd love to clean out my china cabinets before Thanksgiving. :idea: We still don't know if we'll be home alone or if DD, Dgrson, and DD's BF will come or not. DD said it was too early to make a commitment. But at least the invite is there. :D

I'm sort of wondering if I should make a scrapbook for DH for Christmas now, too. :idea: I know it means a lot of work, I'd need to work in "secret" and work fast, try to do a good job, and all. But it's an idea that keeps coming to mind. :idea: I know I'll have time to devote to it once the crochet is out of the way. :D

Look at me! I'm rambling and rambling! Have a great week! :D Happy Holiday Planning, too! :D
Touch the earth, love the earth, her plains, her valleys, her seas. Rest your soul in her solitary places. ~Henry Beston

Harriet

Postby Harriet » Mon Oct 22, 2012 10:57 am

The planning stage is an important stage, Ivy, so in a way you are working on the scrapbook already, even if you use the planning stage to decide it's a present for later.

Dd32 and family arrive Friday of this week, so holiday prep will have to resume next week. Since there are 3 more days until November after that, I'm still well on-track! (Ah, but can I get HRH to sign cards in ONLY three days? :lol: )

I bought dd a new stylus pen yesterday but as I did, I gave her the "it's almost Christmas now" speech. She knows what that means - anything she has on a wish list from now on has to stay on the wish list. From now on they are called "gift ideas"!

Nancy
Location: Washington state in the Pacific Northwestern part of the USA.

Postby Nancy » Sat Oct 27, 2012 11:44 am

Made cookies h. took those to work, others are nearly gone I only do 9 per pan now and those are the ones I don't eat works better now. I have forgotten I was going to roll these in coconut so will try to do that on the rest of the batch. So I can do these with the ch. cake mix a couple of diff. ways.

I got some things to donate to the "Christmas connection" for the needy in the car trunk that I'd made earlier in the year freeing up some space in the closet!

blessedw2

Postby blessedw2 » Sun Oct 28, 2012 10:03 am

divy so glad your ocular migraine went away! Look at all you have been doing. It makes me feel in the holiday spirit already.
dharriet... have a wonderful time with your dfamily!!! I love the holiday's are coming speech!!!
dnancy your cookies each year sound so wonderful!!! dd younger wants to make cookie dough and give it to others as a gift so they don't have to make cookies from scratch.
it is always a joy to be here with you!

Nancy

Postby Nancy » Sun Oct 28, 2012 1:19 pm

Blessed I love that idea of giving cookie dough! Are you going to do a master mix?

Harriet

Postby Harriet » Wed Oct 31, 2012 8:18 pm

Tonight's the night (October 31 idea) for working on Christmas Cards! Dd14 is sitting with me and we have The Munsters playing! Hope to get a lot done.
If you don't believe in miracles, you're not being realistic.

Nancy

Postby Nancy » Thu Nov 01, 2012 4:05 pm

:idea: :idea: :idea: Today got more Holiday lights white ones on a white cord for the chicken run but you have to get these while you can find them this time of year even if it's for the spring or Jan.! :idea: :idea: :idea:

Also got red and green muffin cup paper liners I was out so decided that we might as well get some in festive colors dgd was with me to help pick those out today. :mrgreen:

I decided against turkey paper plates and decided to go with some like I found last year that will work for all the holiday season through new years. I'm putting that on the list and will be keeping my eyes out for some.

Return to “The Creative Home”