*** Holiday Planning, 2012 ***

A place for Artistry, Crafts and Needlework; Decorating and Holidays.
Harmony

Re: *** Holiday Planning, 2012 ***

Postby Harmony » Mon Dec 17, 2012 12:57 am

I wanted badly to put up lights at least around my entryway arbor. I would have liked to put lights on the baby hedge plants across the front too. Sadly, I ran out of time today. I did get the pinecone wreath attached to the front door. Sometimes I missed the lights out there, sometimes when I thought about it I was glad we didn't get into all that this year, especially when not doing it kept us off the ladders.

I did finally get a long table in the family room cleaned off and the nativity set up and plugged in (it's lighted). At least the inside looks nice!

Nancy
Location: Washington state in the Pacific Northwestern part of the USA.

Postby Nancy » Mon Dec 17, 2012 2:19 pm

After sewing up the gift bags I needed got the two gifts to mail ready and off this morning yea!

My gift of 4 more hens producing an eggs I'm so happy now!
Last edited by Nancy on Wed Dec 19, 2012 10:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Harriet

Postby Harriet » Mon Dec 17, 2012 10:54 pm

Dd32 and I are planning a Grandma's Thank You Note Lesson with the two older boys ( 6 and 4 ) on the 27th or so. That will be fun but aw, shoot, found out they already have received their own return address labels! (I keep forgetting their mother is in the Superwoman stage of life, lol.) I was going to enjoy getting them some. I do have the Pixar stamps that will be ideal. Need to find some very little-boy-like Thank You notes. They don't know it but Grandpa owes a Thank-You too, and needs to sit down with them and send a note at the same time! (That should make the whole process more interesting.)

We'll probably just buy some cards, but these are excellent ideas: 13 ideas for children's handmade cards

The box from amazon finally arrived, with the UPS guys pointing out to me that very little tape was used to seal it. :? Things inside were fine, thank goodness.

A few of the children's gifts for Saturday don't quite measure up to others, and I sort of need them to be even-steven, so I may take a trip out for small items that will work for package decorations.

Ivy

Postby Ivy » Tue Dec 18, 2012 8:43 pm

I only have 1 crocheted dog to finish. His back and front body are done, his 2 feet are done, I'm on 1 arm of his now. This is taking forever. :roll: I have a week, but have a sore arm, feeling pressured to finish it, and am just baby stepping it.

After the dog's done, I'll wrap gifts and bag them,too, then figure out a day with DH to deliver gifts to 3 homes, in the area. I need to try to find some gift tags, too. I don't know if I have any. I'm writing names on cards, which go with the gifts, so I might just do that this year and bag the entire gift tag idea. :lol: Their cards with their names on them will be taped to their gifts. I think I'll take the easy way out and not stress myself about gift tags. :idea:

I want the holidays to be relaxing, joyful and fun- not "Scroogie"! So maybe by bedtime I'll have 2 arms done and it IS A LOT OF FUN, sitting in the recliner, next to the big screen TV, facing DH on the sofa, where I can see his face, and visit with him, while I crochet and he watches TV. In my usual chair, I'm on the other side of him with an end table between the back of his head and where I am. I can't see his face, just the back of his head and it's hard for him to hear me, when I sit there. He has hearing aids, :D which helps,too. But the recliner in the evening, while we chat and I crochet has really been enduring to me. ♥♥ I enjoy it. :D
Touch the earth, love the earth, her plains, her valleys, her seas. Rest your soul in her solitary places. ~Henry Beston

Harmony

Postby Harmony » Tue Dec 18, 2012 9:36 pm

Harriet, that is such a valuable lesson for children to learn. I don't think adults most times even know such a thing. You know our story, one family of relatives does not even acknowledge presents, cards, etc. received or not, and they are out of state. DH has told me to quit sending, but this year the box went out anyway and he said thank you to me for doing it. sigh....

Ivy you are doing great with your gifts.

Does it seem like everyone is playing catch-up with Christmas prep? It sounds like it around here. You should hear my DD's story. She doesn't have tree decorations yet and they're inaccessible in her attic right now. She has no presents bought.

Our Christmas plans have changed yet again. Different daughter is hosting all of us on Sunday, because other daughter cannot get things done enough. We could all get it together with her, but she is still in the middle of a never-ending remodel. I have told them wherever they want us is fine.

The rub is this: both of them think we'll be there on Christmas. One is leaving in the afternoon for a trip and wants us to bring their dog home to keep. If we don't do this right, we'll be traveling back and forth a lot between their houses...and now with all this, the family who thought we'd be with them might have their feelings hurt... The way things are we could go up there and have a totally working-time holiday if we wanted, there is that much to do...(ah, you're not going to help us pack for our trip?)

I do feel bad for their busyness, but I really would like a little peace and quiet ...and I did host Thanksgiving... but I'm determined to keep the peace and be helpful and happy. I feel bad we do not live closer. DD could really use my help sometimes. Her schedule is just impossible. If there was a way, I would make things easier for them, but I just do not know how.

I did get one Christmas letter typed today. I have a girlfriend from HS, we correspond with Christmas cards every year. So that is done. Nothing else, though..

Harriet

Postby Harriet » Wed Dec 19, 2012 11:21 am

Harmony, from my point of view there is an obvious priority. How can you have the best everyone-included gift exchange in which all the boys get to open their gifts together and realize the tangible result of how they have been in your heart this year, and have that moment of cheery connection to each other. Photo-taking (more than one camera ideal) is the number two priority so that the memory is well-preserved. Otherwise, no matter how oddly the celebration may go, no matter whether the dog exchange is frantic or the driving frustrating or a whole new glitch comes up, you and Mr. Harmony will be happy during it all.

The Christmas when my dfirstmil gave family quilts to my 2 sisters-in-law and myself, and we held them up with such surprise on our faces for a photo - that is still a happy family memory all 'round. If I were you (and I'm not) I'd even insist the boys open their presents at the same moment, even if it made everyone look at you like you were crazy. ;)

Yes, preparations are not in line here, either. I told HRH yesterday I can't believe I was bright enough to be working on cards on Halloween night but still haven't gotten any further along by now than I have. I think my 2 daughters-in-law are prepared but then each of them has one descendant only :) , and all their living ancestors are in excellent health! :lol: Dd32 with the 3 boys and full-time work will likely get it all done, but it will be tight.

Ivy

Postby Ivy » Wed Dec 19, 2012 10:18 pm

The dog's body front and back are sewn together, turned inside out with the stuffed arms and legs sewn on. I've been at it all day, except for my walk and 1 hour nap. I found out that I need to crochet TWO muzzles and I've only done one. I got tired, so I'm taking a pre-dinner break. Hopefully he'll be done by bedtime. :idea: ;)

I got out boxes of gift bags, tissue with festive designs on them, and never did get to wrap anything because of the attention focused on finishing this little dog. I hope to wrap and bag tomorrow.

Then we need to pick a day to deliver to 2 couples in the area and 1 widow lady who is 97 now.

After that, I'll start cleaning for Christmas Eve and our Ddil/Dson and 6 grandsons arrive at 11:30 a.m. We're having take-out pizza and Ddil brings her own gluten-free food. It doesn't seem it's possible that it's so close away! I'm excited.

DD doesn't think she'll make it here this year. :(
Touch the earth, love the earth, her plains, her valleys, her seas. Rest your soul in her solitary places. ~Henry Beston

Harmony

Postby Harmony » Thu Dec 20, 2012 12:24 am

Wow, Ivy, that'll be a crowd Christmas Eve. How old are the DGSs?

Well, our Christmas plans are changed a bit again. Just about where we'll be and when. DD1 will host Sunday for all of us together and we'll open everything together then. I guess we'll stay there Sun. eve. and go to DD2's Monday AM sometime.

Throw the big double french doors that need installed and possibly DH's help in the mix for that day!

I guess we'll stay with DD2 through Christmas afternoon then, pack up us and their dog and come home. I need to find time to make a lasagna ready to bake, we'll have that either Mon. night or Tues. lunch. I doubt with all that's going on DD2 will have much time to get a meal together, I totally understand, and I will find time to do that here.

Course, I still have to make cookies. They are expecting them. Cards are done, though, ready to go out. For holiday prep this is the worst year I've had for a while. I'm wondering what our dear organized Indiana would think about all this?

Nancy
Location: Washington state in the Pacific Northwestern part of the USA.

Postby Nancy » Thu Dec 20, 2012 10:31 am

I forgot to get the 2 cards done that I do have one letter half way written so will be working on those.

Harmony

Postby Harmony » Thu Dec 20, 2012 2:32 pm

Talked with DGS13 while he was coming home from school. (He says to his Mom after we hung up, "Ah, Grandma's so sweet.") :lol: We were talking about his future career choices. I'm so blessed to have good relationships with all my dgkids.

Of course, he says, "are you bringing those cookies you always make?" So that is why I can't quit doing them!

Return to “The Creative Home”