Art, Craft and Needlework, October, 2012

A place for Artistry, Crafts and Needlework; Decorating and Holidays.
Nancy
Location: Washington state in the Pacific Northwestern part of the USA.

Re: Art, Craft and Needlework, October, 2012

Postby Nancy » Sat Oct 27, 2012 1:33 pm

I finished a prayer shawl last week white fuzzy yarn in a child's size.
I have a friend that takes in ironing to make $.
Cut out some black calico fabric for bags and maybe a child's apron.

Harriet

Postby Harriet » Sun Oct 28, 2012 10:21 pm

Dd32 and I took the boys and dd14 to a Renaissance Festival (Renaissance Fair?) I'm so impressed. Creativity and imagination in architecture, textiles, performance, and all types of art was abundant.

If I had to mention one, it would be the wonderful costuming. Hand-painted silks, tapestries, rough cottons, embellishments, leathers. Everywhere you turned, some amazing costuming. Some were worn by those who were there all the time, some by visitors who had had fun preparing their costumes for this one visit. Dd14 fit right in, wearing a purchased brown princess dress from the costume store. But her look wouldn't have held up to close scrutiny like many of the other very authentic ones.

The permanent village buildings ranged from tall structures with multi-mini-cupolas to rustic half-open dark cottages. Tents were carefully placed to give the illusion of even more architecture. You just walked and walked on these long winding paths/roads among tall pine trees that were never removed from the middle of the paths, so the whole area was half-shade, half-sun. Lots of details - some of the shingles were even put on in multiple arcs rather than straight (very storybook).

So many crafts displayed - fired signage, floral headpieces, jewelry and wood artistry of all kinds, puppet-making. There were stilt-walkers, belly-dancers, a sword swallow-er, harpists, individual performers of all kinds among the crowds, duets, trios, stringed groups, shows by the side of the "road" everywhere you turned.

All that inspired me generally, and specifically inspired me to keep my eye out for bodices for ladies garments and ideas for bodices. I noticed that many different simple separates worked for the women's garments as long as the bodice was fancy - either laced, corset-like, or including some central gore/panel. Since dd chose a hair-holding piece of jewelry, it inspires me to keep my eye out for charms for it and ideas for charms. While NOT watching the sword swallow-er's act, I taught myself how they had made a rustic bench out of one 8x2x12 of treated lumber. :)

Nancy

Postby Nancy » Mon Oct 29, 2012 1:02 pm

Harriet how inspiring!

I've done a bit on the current crochet project but not really impressed with how it's turning out at this point ~sigh~ not sure if I should keep going or try a better pattern.

Harmony

Postby Harmony » Tue Oct 30, 2012 9:59 pm

Boy, I wonder how long it's been since I've crocheted anything. Probably about 10 or 11 years!

Progress on my quilt. The entire top is put together including the 3" borders all around. Yesterday I was working on the backing. I have some big pieces left over and am just cutting/sewing together in big pieces, no particular pattern, just to use up the material that I suspect I will never use again. I kept leftovers of plain colors, and am using up the sports prints on the back.

It's very bright and cheery. All bright primary colors except for a few greys and the sashing and borders are grey. (This bedroom has medium grey walls).

Harriet, the fair sounds wonderful. I can just picture your DD!

Nancy

Postby Nancy » Wed Oct 31, 2012 10:50 am

I ripped out that project and have a diff. prayer shawl going now that I"m much happier with the results on this one a diff. crochet pattern.

Return to “The Creative Home”