Art, Craft and Needlework, November, 2012

A place for Artistry, Crafts and Needlework; Decorating and Holidays.
Harriet

Re: Art, Craft and Needlework, November, 2012

Postby Harriet » Tue Nov 20, 2012 10:13 am

٩(-̮̮̃-̃)۶ ٩(-̮̮̃-̃)۶ ٩(-̮̮̃-̃)۶ ٩(-̮̮̃-̃)۶ ٩(-̮̮̃-̃)۶ ٩(-̮̮̃-̃)۶ ٩(-̮̮̃-̃)۶

Rah, Rah, Rah, Sis, Boom, Bah!

Harmony, you can do it.

I'm planning how I'm going to make gift tags this year. Have a few things already on hand.

Nancy
Location: Washington state in the Pacific Northwestern part of the USA.

Postby Nancy » Tue Nov 20, 2012 12:47 pm

I'm on the last of the prayer shawl I've been crocheting.

Ivy

Postby Ivy » Sun Nov 25, 2012 9:26 pm

I've made several hats, 1 scarf, 2 little ones' afghans so far. I need to do some berets, hats for men, 2 stuffed toys, and then some baby girl things for our Princess who will be born in March. :D I haven't crocheted this weekend, but DH mailed a beret and beanie slouch hat to DD and her friend, on Friday. Need to get the fingers and hooks warmed up and ready to go again! :!: :D
Touch the earth, love the earth, her plains, her valleys, her seas. Rest your soul in her solitary places. ~Henry Beston

Harmony

Postby Harmony » Tue Nov 27, 2012 1:07 am

Thanks for the encouragement!

Tonight I put the binding on. I did a label on the computer, and I'll copy to fabric tomorrow.

So many ideas here. So little time. I'm definitely going to scale back in the coming year, it was too ambitious a goal. I knew better when I started, but I went for it anyway.

I make my gift tags out of old Christmas cards. Usually here is an element I can cut out and fold over or glue onto card stock...and sometimes there is a nice-sized drawing on the back that is perfect. Since I discovered how to make these I haven't bought any tags.

Ivy

Postby Ivy » Wed Nov 28, 2012 7:21 pm

Harmony, :D Your idea for gift tags is a really creative one, too. I wonder if you can do a zig-zag stitch around the edges to give it a creative sewer look, too. :idea:

I'm crocheting on a stuffed cat today. I'm working on his front. I'm on his head right now, but after the head's done,I need to make his back side. He's square. After the cat's done, I'm going a dog. I've made the cat before, for 3 3/4 yr. old grson, but 19-mo. grson keeps stealing it away from his brother. :lol: Our Ddil asked that I make the youngest grson a cat for Christmas. I'm using different colors, so they can keep them separate and identified as each their own. For the dog, the colors will be different, too, as not to copy the same cat colors. I'm going to make him a purple head. Deep purple. :D
Touch the earth, love the earth, her plains, her valleys, her seas. Rest your soul in her solitary places. ~Henry Beston

Harriet

Postby Harriet » Wed Nov 28, 2012 9:21 pm

Because my dfirstsil uses old Christmas cards for gift tags, and it's at that family get-together that the largest group of my presents go, I've never felt I could use them without looking like I was competing with her. You have to be very careful not to encourage the competition at my first-in-laws'. Harmony, it sounds like you are so much more creative with yours, fussy-cutting centered images. Basically, my dfirstsil cuts the card in half on the fold line and ties the front to packages with name on the back.

Gee, I like the idea of stitching added to a gift tag, Ivy. A separate needle might be needed in case it would get blunted going through paper, but that's no big deal. And it would need to be lighter weight paper than the index cards I'm using. Of course, I like anything textile! I can tell that now I'll be brainstorming fabric zigzagged onto tags now!!! Yipes I'm even a perfectionist when all I'm doing is thinking.

What colors are in the stripes of this prayer shawl, Nancy? Wide stripes or narrow? Sounds like fun.

Dd14 better start making decisions about teacher gifts. She has one teacher she has virtually promised a gimp (this stuff, woven together) keychain, and while discussing it another teacher complimented so much she might make one for her.

Harmony

Postby Harmony » Fri Nov 30, 2012 5:20 pm

Oooh, Harriet, I remember making stuff out of that plastic when I was a kid. Man, I could use one of them now, my keychain has broken and all I have left is the ring and a snap hook (I hook them inside an outside purse pocket so they never get lost in a store). I've been wanting another keychain, but don't want solid metal or plastic because they'd get all scratched up and look bad.

I can see why you wouldn't want to make tags like theirs. Yep. Need to do your own thing!

I am working on my last quilt. The first block didn't fit together at all and I had to sleep on it and then redo it. It's a modified log cabin, one side has 2X2 squares instead of just a strip...and the good thing is I'm using all the fish and seashell and sailboat material for the 8x8 square in the middle. I only had to buy a couple plain colors to go along with what I already have.

It makes a 13" square when its done. Takes a while with all those little squares, though. I have 2 squares done out of 24.

Nancy
Location: Washington state in the Pacific Northwestern part of the USA.

Postby Nancy » Wed Dec 05, 2012 2:10 pm

Yesterday got a belt at the thrift shop for 50 cents; got it to take apart for the hardware on it for a tote to crochet, hoping to get better at these as I learn doing more of them. But this is a project for the New Year.

Return to “The Creative Home”