Art, Craft and Needlework, December, 2012

A place for Artistry, Crafts and Needlework; Decorating and Holidays.
Nancy
Location: Washington state in the Pacific Northwestern part of the USA.

Re: Art, Craft and Needlework, December, 2012

Postby Nancy » Sat Dec 15, 2012 9:33 pm

Have a scarf that's grown in to a lap robe last 2" of it to knit up!

Harmony

Postby Harmony » Sat Dec 15, 2012 10:59 pm

Ivy, you must crochet fast to be getting all those things done.

Nancy, I've had projects that grew and grew...

Still sewing away. So much sewing I cannot even feel the tips of my fingers of the left hand. A couple more days of sewing and I will be ready for the binding. It would go faster, except that I just cannot do just the basic quilting. How can I quilt a square around a sailboat and not go around the sails to make them puff out like the breeze is in them; or how can I not quilt the outline of the big green turtles swimming by, making their shells puff out like real ones? But it is progressing and this adds so much texture to the flat surface. I am REALLY liking the way this one looks. (Have I said this about them all?)

Harriet

Postby Harriet » Sun Dec 16, 2012 1:24 pm

Oh, that's one of the sweetest descriptions of hand sewing, Harmony! Awwwww..... .... little turtles. So you can't feel your hand, so what? The boys will gape at what you've done and that will make it all better. Figure out a change of occupation when you can. Do the few minutes of seated Amazon arm exercise on Teresa Tapp's book page. I love that for my shoulders when I've been bending over work. Stretch your fingers out and in, out and in.

Guys love gifts in team colors, Nancy. Dsonil was so happy when I made him a pillow in team colors.

I enjoy making aprons, scattered. Hope all your projects turn out well.

Ivy, isn't it a relief to find clear instructions, especially for something that could be trouble like attaching sleeves?

Sleeve questions - another post about sleeve troubles from scattered is a few threads down in this forum.

I've resisted posting about my possible project before Christmas. I'd have to work it in between the big Saturday trip and party (which will exhaust me) and Christmas, so I'm thinking IF it's something I can get to, that's great, but if not I won't beat myself up.

So many villagers are working on extra creativity right now. Wouldn't be surprised if we get some happy photos to enjoy. I know LisaB has been doing hand-sewing for patchwork. Emptynester is working on a different type of ornaments of wood. I'm thinking Elizabeth's dd already received her funny stuffed monster, but I know Elizabeth's also been joining a group for more stitching. helia's dd is sewing up a storm and taking classes. I don't know if Twin's Mom had time for Hannukah cards this year, moving to a new house.

Nancy

Postby Nancy » Sun Dec 16, 2012 3:23 pm

I finished up the knitting on a lap robe and am working on the crochet edge of it now.

BookSaver
Administrator

Postby BookSaver » Sun Dec 16, 2012 6:33 pm

Ivy ~ Thank you for posting links to the hat patterns (in the thread for holiday prep). I printed out the "Track Stitch Beret" slouch hat directions, found crochet hooks and some yarn in my stash. Last night while watching a little tv, I worked on swatches to see what size hook will be the right size to make the band to go around my head.

I have some fancy yarn that I think will make a beautiful hat to go with my winter coat. However, since I have not used this pattern before, I'm first making a test sample from easy acrylic yarn. There might not be enough of it to make a whole hat, but there's enough to give me an idea of what the pattern stitch is supposed to be.

I borrowed a couple of comedy DVDs from the library, and now I can crochet while watching so I won't feel as guilty about sitting so long. :)

Nancy

Postby Nancy » Mon Dec 17, 2012 2:14 pm

Edging of the lap robe project is done I did a lot of it watching about the Ct. Sandy Hook School news some how that helped.

Mailed off two gifts I'd made a shawl to mom with the flower edging I'd learned how to make this year and the granny square tote for my dsis.

The best part was she called yesterday wanting to know how I made granny squares! :mrgreen: She will get an example!

Harmony

Postby Harmony » Tue Dec 18, 2012 3:44 am

Nancy, that is so nice of you to send your handmade gifts like that. Can I be your sister? :lol:

I'm sure glad your package arrived safely, Harriet.

About 3 hours of sewing today. I have 1 row of 4 13" squares left and the side borders for that much plus the border across the bottom yet to do. Whew!

Nancy

Postby Nancy » Tue Dec 18, 2012 11:56 am

The side ways knitting at an angle project is finally going well after spending most of yesterday discovering to knit two together not four at the beginning of the row and add one not two at the end of the row but what I did do would look really nice as a sweater yoke so this experience will come in very handy! I had to remind myself that part of learning is doing it is starting over when we have done it wrong.

Ivy

Postby Ivy » Tue Dec 18, 2012 8:56 pm

Nancy, I'm glad the side ways knitting at an angle project is going well. It sounded challenging. But isn't it super when we teach our minds new things? I feel like a rock star when I accomplish something I've never done before! :D You've been really productive! :D

Harmony, You are quilting, right? I have some quilting books, supplies, scraps and only 1 spool of quilting thread. Is it possible that Dual Duty thread can also be used for quilting? I don't know how to quilt yet, but I have some lap frames because I wanted to quilt by hand, while in the lit-up-better great room with all the can lights. :idea: I was just wondering if I need to buy a special quilting thread and if I can use Dual Duty, too? :idea: I might need to go to Joanne's and fight the after-Christmas crowds and pick up some more things. :idea: :)

Yes, I was crocheting really fast to get the box done and posted.

Booksaver, I'm glad you liked the "Track Stitch Beret" slouch hat. It was a beret, but it looks just like a SLOUCH! :lol: When I tried it on me, I was amazed how nice it looked in off-white. After Christmas I plan on making myself one, too. :idea:

Harriet, It's a God-send when somebody posts easy-to-understand good instructions on-line. I was so thrilled how she showed it in 2 contrasting yarns, wrote it all out in baby steps with several photos step by step. I learned something new! :D I was so happy! :!:

Happy Crafting, Everyone! :D
Touch the earth, love the earth, her plains, her valleys, her seas. Rest your soul in her solitary places. ~Henry Beston

Harmony

Postby Harmony » Wed Dec 19, 2012 11:37 pm

Ivy, quilting thread, for hand quilting anyway, is stiffer and stronger than regular thread. I like that it comes in so many colors. It also comes variegated, though I can't seem to find that locally. Maybe online. They say to use just 18" of thread, sewing with a single strand, and I guess that's to keep it from tangling and fraying from so much in-and-out of the material. I use a much longer piece, though and it seems to do alright.

From my experience: I once made a ring-bearer pillow for DD1, using 2 quilt squares, English Wedding Ring on one side and another wedding ring pattern I can't remember. When I got to quilting it, I thought since it was fancy (I used white-on-white prints,etc.,) I thought it'd be nice to use fancy shiny thread...so I got that shiny rayon thread. What a disaster. About every 6 inches it frayed! So I'd advise you to use the thread marked for quilting.

There is one specifically for machine quilting, and I just looked at mine and it seems shinier though not thicker or stronger to the touch. So I'm not really sure of the difference. I put my blocks together with all purpose thread, that works alright I guess. I'm just learning as I go, self-taught, I'll bet Harriet would chime in with something here, she's been at it a long time!

I'm furiously trying to finish my 5th quilt this year. Presents for DGSs. My advice to you is start with something really really simple. My first one this year had lots of triangles and beyond my skill level... and fix a lamp so light shines directly on your work or sunlight directly on it or your eyes will get very tired. I think mine feel worn out with all the fine work I'm doing. Good luck!

Went to the quilt shop down the street and got my Synthropol to try and fix that bleed on the beach quilt. Wish me luck on that chore!

Return to “The Creative Home”