Art, Craft and Needlework, January, 2013

A place for Artistry, Crafts and Needlework; Decorating and Holidays.
Nancy
Location: Washington state in the Pacific Northwestern part of the USA.

Re: Art, Craft and Needlework, January, 2013

Postby Nancy » Mon Jan 14, 2013 3:59 pm

Finished up the shawl in team colors during the game. They lost :cry:

Sunny

Postby Sunny » Mon Jan 14, 2013 4:51 pm

Harmony, your quilts turned out marvelous. I like the colors and the designs. It's easy to see how dgsons would be thrilled to receive these loving gifts from the heart!

I need to check out the link Ivy posted.
Start by doing what's necessary, then what's possible, and suddenly you are doing the impossible. --- Francis of Assisi

Harriet

Postby Harriet » Mon Jan 14, 2013 5:12 pm

Sunny reminded me of that link ... .. Harmony, I believe we were looking at 2 different things. I meant the lady's challenge to all her blogging readers to finish one UFO per month - I believe she was talking about quilts? Now, if she was talking about small quilts or other projects, it does make more sense.

Here is the only photo I got of the process when dd and I made Zentangle Bookmarks for her teachers. There's the pencil for marking the border and the first "string" image, and the Micron pen for making the actual designs inside each space the "string" leaves you. We used watercolor paper, which is a great weight for bookmarks, but is not smooth enough. We would have had a better time buying one of the papers the books suggest, but we'll get around to that sometime.

I hope you can turn your head sideways to see these! I couldn't get the photo to post well the other way!

TeacherBookmarks2012.JPG

We punched a hole for the tassels and put a circular hole reinforcement (like for notebook paper) on the back.

The one that is closest to finished in the photo is the one she gave her World History teacher, and he just loved it, says he's using it right now. Worked out fine to give to either men teachers or women.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Harmony

Postby Harmony » Mon Jan 14, 2013 5:21 pm

Harriet, those bookmarks are beautiful. Does she intend to do something with her artwork in a career?

Ivy, I like my stitches to show, so I use contrasting thread sometimes. My maroon and beige quilt that was predominately beige, I used matching maroon thread. That looked so nice all over the beige backing. People that aren't into quilting stitches, though, use a neutral color all over. And stitch-in-the-ditch people use a matching color too. I'm still looking for the variegated quilting thread. Good luck with whatever you do. I'm not sure about the yarn, fabric choice...I have never done a combination like that. When undecided about something, I just follow instructions!

Sunny

Postby Sunny » Mon Jan 14, 2013 6:17 pm

Harriet, I wanted to say how much I like the watercolor picture your dd did. The colors do blend so well. The bookmark drawings are very good, too. Your dd has a good imagination and talent to bring it to life!

I looked through Ivy's sewing link for a good while. I thought the patterns were very interesting.
Start by doing what's necessary, then what's possible, and suddenly you are doing the impossible. --- Francis of Assisi

Harriet

Postby Harriet » Mon Jan 14, 2013 6:56 pm

Oh, thank you for the kind words about dd, Sunny. Yes, I want to go back through that site, too.

There may not be much credit to take for a Zentangle piece. It's supposed to be a sort of accident - you're not encouraged to try to make it turn out the way you plan it, but just let it happen. I know that sounds odd, but there are a series of steps to get you to the point of creating areas for drawing, and then you just choose repetitive patterns to draw inside them. There is no eraser, there is no up or down, and it's supposed to be so easy that's it's a way to relax, or to come at creativity differently so that it helps you clear your mind.

I got the impression dd's pattern choices were better than mine. She would get into the "zone" and see which patterns were going to look good in which shape, or beside which other patterns. I would have better follow-through and stick with one I didn't like too much, until I made it better. She would gladly toss one aside and say, no, I can do better with another start. (Which may defeat the purpose!)

Anyway, it was a great quiet activity to learn together, and come up with something in the end that was a nice set of small gifts.

We liked any and all of the books (there are many), but settled on joy of zentangle, Drawing Your Way to Increased Creativity, Focus and Well-Being because it is a compilation of 3 different authors' work into one book, so it was a value.

Ivy

Postby Ivy » Thu Jan 31, 2013 12:58 pm

Harriet, Those bookmarks are so beautiful! Wow! That's a Pigma pen beside them, right? :?: I ask because I have pen holders, nibs, ink and love the look of pen 'n' ink. Pigma pens is another fun was to get the same effect.

I got 1 dress, 2 pixie hats, 1 Kook Kids hat with a bow on top made for the new baby granddaughter. Oh! I forgot! I made 3 flower headbands, too! So cute. They were mailed yesterday, so now I'm waiting to hear back how Ddil/Dson liked them. :D :D
Touch the earth, love the earth, her plains, her valleys, her seas. Rest your soul in her solitary places. ~Henry Beston

Return to “The Creative Home”