Art, Craft and Needlework for April, 2013

A place for Artistry, Crafts and Needlework; Decorating and Holidays.
Ivy

Re: Art, Craft and Needlework for April, 2013

Postby Ivy » Mon Apr 15, 2013 11:37 pm

Nancy, What's a beading board? :?: I just use a dark green felt-type foam flat thing I roll out, to hold beads as I work.

I have a gigantic fishing tackle box to hold my beads. :idea: Walmart and/or big box stores, like Costco, sell beading kits, which are nice, full of a good variety of nice beads, and sometimes they have tiger tail or the stuff you string the beads on, in there, too, along with the earrings wires, etc... :idea:

Also, I go to thrift shops, Goodwill and I suppose estate sales and rummage sales would all :idea: have beaded olden-days necklaces, with several strings, when once cut apart, gives you oodles of beads to work with! :!:

Also, there is "Memory Wire", which I find at Joann's or Michael's, and it's a wire, you cut one end with needle-nosed pliers, then give it a "crook" to keep beads on the wire, then you string on your pattern of beads, for a memory wire bracelet and crook the end to hold the beads on. :idea: Also, you can get Memory Wire in the shape of chokers, for around the neck, so you can make a set of matching choker-bracelet pieces, too. :idea:

I guess a good idea, too, would be to keep an eye out for woven Native American beading things, if you wanted to cut them up to get more beads. Pony beads are good for hair scrunchies, too; crocheted ones. I don't know how to knit, so am uncertain if knitted scrunchies can take beads. :?:

An art table desk lamp helps with lighting while beading, too. Keeping an eye on your posture is good, to try to avoid neck pain and shoulder strain. :idea: Anything can be baby stepped and also stretching would come in handy, too. :idea: We used to have a local bead store, which is where I learned how to tie tiger tail off with a barrel clasp. They were very good to teach their customers, who came in to browse. Sometimes, a broach can make a nice center "bead" on a choker, too. Also, if you have a broken ring or earring, they can also help make a focal point on a necklace or bracelet. :idea:
Touch the earth, love the earth, her plains, her valleys, her seas. Rest your soul in her solitary places. ~Henry Beston

Nancy
Location: Washington state in the Pacific Northwestern part of the USA.

Postby Nancy » Tue Apr 16, 2013 11:48 am

At w- mart on the shelf under the beads you find a white one mine is grey wish it was white, holds the beads in a U shape for stringing and if you want to do multiple strands keeps them in order a place for beads and they do not move around as much as on a towel according to my DIL any way. I've not done any beading yet. :roll: I still have to get stuff to string 'em on wire or streachy stuff. [I need finding pins too.]

Ivy

Postby Ivy » Tue Apr 16, 2013 1:07 pm

Nancy, I didn't know they made a board like that. It sounds smart to have on hand. You said you need finding pins, too. I've never heard of those either. Maybe I know what they are, but just don't know that's what they're called by. :?: You'll enjoy beading. :)
Touch the earth, love the earth, her plains, her valleys, her seas. Rest your soul in her solitary places. ~Henry Beston

Nancy

Postby Nancy » Tue Apr 16, 2013 3:44 pm

Finding pins are the looped wires you bend to put beads on to string together. Some of the beads I have do not have the same sized openings.
Jo Ann's had a sale found some stuff there.

At one craft shop they had a kit that would have been a great thing with every thing in it and the right sized beads too.
:roll:
You don't know what you don't know. A beading class is looking like some thing I need more all the time. Will be investigating more on that found a shop near by. [Plus another one but it was closed today.]

Ivy

Postby Ivy » Tue Apr 16, 2013 5:43 pm

Nancy, I have one of those, but didn't know what it was called! :!:

Oh, a beading shop class would be wonderful to enroll in! :idea:

I donated some books to ARC with complicated patterns in them, which I'll never make or master. Also, 1 book was for potholders, but the yarn sounds foreign and upon investigation on the Internet, it said it's a 3-ply sport cotton yarn, which can be ordered and it's very pricey. I decided to donate it, since I have tons of potholder patterns for 100% cotton worsted weight yarns in Peaches 'n' Creme, the Lion Brand's brand, Sugar 'n' Creme, I believe, etc.. I enjoy the heavier cotton for safety from heat, when doing potholders. I'd rather use something cheaper, too. The 3-ply sport cotton potholders looked very thin in the photos and totally complicated and way over my head. I'll bless someone with my pattern books, which is a good feeling. :)

Nancy

Postby Nancy » Thu Apr 18, 2013 11:14 am

Went to a gem shop found larger glass beads for less than 5- cents ea. so I was exited about that. He showed me how to do crimping beads. I'm re-thinking stringing on wire undid what I'd put together the other day. He showed me beading needles $12 a pack :shock: left those there and the string stuff, still looking for the stretchy cord.
One gal said she re - did her first strand three times.

At W-mart they had a mag. on wire work it was amazing! The beading supplies are getting skimping there stock is down.

One other new shop is closed on Tues. - Wed. each week so now I know what days to not go! LOL!

Got crossed and added one to beads from a thrift shop that was awesomely fun and fast! Another bag of ast. beads was fun to go through and I found a cross [brass] new there and it needed buffed to polish it and now I'm thinking of what beads to string with it and if I can do the knotting thing there is a board for that basically a nail don't have that but could do one up I think...

I have not even been to the town across the river yet! I think an art date is coming in my near future to make up for the ones I missed in the winter.

Harriet

Postby Harriet » Fri Apr 19, 2013 8:59 am

Nancy, I don't know if you ever shop ebay, but you might find some small auctions there with variety, or maybe vintage beads. I went through a stage of collecting buttons, little bits here and there. I found that on ebay I could really get a good look and have lots of choices. Sometimes someone was selling just a few, but unusual. I am a sucker for "orphaned" things, one or two of a kind that don't have the rest of their set.

Also some auctions for older issues of magazines for small prices might save you some money.

I know ebay can be time-consuming, and lately they have more restrictions on selling, so it also is more of a hassle to buy when the sellers' have it harder - there is good and bad to considering it.

Nancy

Postby Nancy » Fri Apr 19, 2013 11:59 am

Harriet yes I've looked at E-bay but I need to know what to call beads for 4 ply knitting yarns with a thicker opening. :roll: Don't know that all I seem to be able to find are the ones with too small openings.

Next I need crimp beads in brass color will look and see if I have one. It's getting frustrating every time I want to do any thing to have to do a run to town for something / then have the shop closed or not see what I want. I'll be glad when the catalog comes in the mail I think that might help as I know what to call the items I want by the right name.

They have silk and other threading stuff also that info. sort of went over my head as I was getting info. over load at the gem shop. But I'm learning.

Nancy

Postby Nancy » Sun Apr 21, 2013 1:54 pm

Went to a shop yesterday and the gal said beads with a larger opening are very hard to find she uses thread or what every in similar color and knits strung beads in side by side with her's so I learned something. $25 seems to be the going rate with beading classes.

Watched jtv and they had macrame on today the part I saw any way and I used to do that now if I can remember how to do a square know.

Got a bead reamer yesterday. I'm looking for a thing for beads to keep them in guys use for bolts etc. or a tackle box.

Found crimping tubes so that helps.

Ivy

Postby Ivy » Sun Apr 21, 2013 11:24 pm

Nancy, I use a great fishing tackle box for my beads, but a good toolbox will also do nicely. :idea:

Return to “The Creative Home”