Art, Craft and Needlework for April, 2013

A place for Artistry, Crafts and Needlework; Decorating and Holidays.
Nancy
Location: Washington state in the Pacific Northwestern part of the USA.

Re: Art, Craft and Needlework for April, 2013

Postby Nancy » Mon Apr 22, 2013 3:42 pm

I saw some stuff at sportsman warehouse a pink gun case, and pink tackle box that would be great for beads! :idea: I am stringing kids beads today for fun dgd was not interested but I'm putting on a few 3-5 each time I do a chore as a reward! It's making the chores a bit more fun!

Ivy

Postby Ivy » Mon Apr 22, 2013 8:15 pm

I just finished crocheting mint origami (folds in on itself) potholders,which form an envelope, for a pen friend's 65th b-day the 30th. DH will mail it and a long letter to answer 3 of hers, with a cute b-day card, probably on Wed. He goes to Costco tomorrow.
Touch the earth, love the earth, her plains, her valleys, her seas. Rest your soul in her solitary places. ~Henry Beston

Nancy

Postby Nancy » Tue Apr 23, 2013 11:09 am

This month I've started knitting on a throw of sports team colors it's fun to work on!

Ivy

Postby Ivy » Thu Apr 25, 2013 1:03 pm

The potholders got shipped. Next project is to finish potholder #2 of the Lion Brand One-Hour Potholder set for a dfriend's b-day gift, and have the other potholder and hot pad done. Then, I'll finish dgd's dress. After that, I'll work on dishcloths/potholders because a pen friend's going to go to her thrift store to look for Debbie Macomber books for me. I'm going to crochet her facecloths/washcloths, dishcloths and potholders in exchange for getting the books. :idea: ;)
Touch the earth, love the earth, her plains, her valleys, her seas. Rest your soul in her solitary places. ~Henry Beston

Nancy

Postby Nancy » Thu Apr 25, 2013 1:30 pm

This week my art date was to an antique and rock shop that had beads too :mrgreen: fun I found the crosses I'd been looking for. I'll go back to that one. I mentioned that I'd seen the add. before the local news and came in so got a good discount!

Ivy

Postby Ivy » Sat Apr 27, 2013 11:03 pm

Congratulations on your discount, Nancy! :D

Here's the link for a dress I made dgd today.

http://sabraspatterns.wordpress.com/2009/01/04/basic-baby-dress/

I used Caron Simply Soft Brites yarn in a mint color. I added extras to it to make it more "fancy", too. I added picot edging to the sleeves edges, where the pattern had left it plain DC without edging. I added a silk ribbon off-white tied bow with a pink carnation silk flower with green leaves, sewn on top of the silk bow, at the waist. It's very, very pretty. :D

Also, I'm crocheting the 3 - 6 months size "Basic Beanie" from http://www.BusyMomDesigns.com

It's got the patterns written from preemie up to adult size! :!: :P :D :idea: It has a stripe in the cap, but I'm making dgd's cap solid mint, to match the feminine dress, instead of the sportier-looking style.

Also, recently, a dfriend of mine had a 2-month preemie dgs born. This beanie pattern calls for worsted weight and I've got 2 different pattern colors of camouflage for "manly" preemie boy caps. I'm planning on making her 3 or 4, to ship in a mailer to her. I have some blue yarn, too. It's fun to make things for babies! :D

Harriet

Postby Harriet » Sun Apr 28, 2013 11:21 am

What a cute dress pattern, Ivy! The other site has fun headbands, too.

Nancy, I like that concept of "art date". Yes, I would think a rock shop would be super interesting to you right now that you're enjoying beading.

I will count as my "art date" my trip to the large creative garden nursery. The place itself was beautifully designed with paths leading to so many cubbies, nooks and room/greenhouses of design ideas. Also "fairy gardens" like this one, of small-scale plants and decor to seem to be little homes with gardens, all in a container the size of a birdbath.

My art project from there was to choose 4 flowering annuals in varieties or color/varigations I've never seen before, that will trail out of a hanging basket. Even though this could be considered "Outdoor Spaces", you guys have to put up with it here because it's all the creativity I've got! :D Later I found the perfect hanging basket, lined with coir (another item with which I've never worked) , that will match the "wrought iron" standing plant hangar I already have. Although I'm also making large containers for the tomatoes and marigolds, this basket will satisfy my creativity more.

Here are the plants (in other people's photos)
Lemon Slice Calibrachoa
Cherry Star Calibrachoa
Calypso Bacopa
Coralberry Calibrachoa

They all trail, but the two pinks trail the most and the light yellow is more erect, so if I stagger them, it should be an interesting basket. I read online that coir-lined baskets will do better and not dry out if you line with plastic and just poke holes before putting in the soil - did not know that. But anyway, one of our stores here uses brown plastic bags so I'm thinking I can use that and keep it from showing.

I'm also using this as a little bit of a learning experience to see how these small-flowered trailers look in a basket, so I could plan some mixed baskets or containers sometime with larger flowered annuals, too.

Nancy

Postby Nancy » Mon Apr 29, 2013 2:38 pm

Dgd's grey dolphin is back from the toy hospital :geek: had to sew up a part of this new toy her dad won for her at the carnival this weekend.

Ivy

Postby Ivy » Mon Apr 29, 2013 5:49 pm

Harriet, I've made Megan about 5 baby girl flowered headbands in various sizes already, too. :D

Nancy, I remember when I was a little girl, how Dmom sent my one favorite doll to the doll hospital, too. :D Now that I'm an adult, I recalled how one Christmas when I was about 11, my Daunt made Barbie clothes for my Barbie and her 3 girls' Barbies and guess what? :?: :lol: It just HIT ME that's probably the doll hospital Dmom sent my precious doll to! :!: :P

I picked out some patterns for Megan, to make in 6-month sizes. One yarn took 3 (3oz.) skeins of special yarn. I needed 3 skeins color A and 3 skeins color B. The yarn has rayon and bamboo in it, I recall, so I added it up and it would have been $29 from the yarn-maker's site! :roll: I decided to improvise with a normal baby yarn or Red Heart Soft Baby or whatever it's called or another one. The pattern is so precious, I cannot give up wanting to make it, so I WILL. :idea: :!: :D I found halter patterns, a shoulder-tie tunic short-short top, which hits the thigh, to wear with leggings. I found baby legwarmers, some sweaters, etc.. They'll be a start. :idea:

OOPS! I just remembered my dfriend's b-day's on May 6 and I have the last 1 potholder mate to make by her b-day, too! :oops: :lol: I got busy and forgot! :lol:

Harriet

Postby Harriet » Wed May 01, 2013 9:15 am

Oh, if her Daddy won it for her, it's important enough to stitch up at the hospital, yes!

Potholder making seems like such fun to me, but every one I've ever made has either made me sad when it gets ruined or sad that it gets put up and not used! :lol: Still, they are quick little pieces of creativity, for sure. My favorites I've made were diagonally strip-quilted (strips sewn, flipped over, the next one sewn, flipped over, etc., onto the batting and backing already in place.) That's fast, but then the binding takes more time than if you had just made a pillowcase type and quilted later. I used to save denim scraps or even the still-good parts of denim jeans for potholder backings - it works great and looks good with most anything, really protects the hands.

Return to “The Creative Home”