Art, Craft and Needlework for April, 2013

A place for Artistry, Crafts and Needlework; Decorating and Holidays.
BookSaver
Administrator

Art, Craft and Needlework for April, 2013

Postby BookSaver » Mon Apr 01, 2013 11:29 am

The days are getting longer in the Northern Hemisphere. That gives us more hours of natural light to play with the colors in our creative projects.

Nancy
Location: Washington state in the Pacific Northwestern part of the USA.

Re: Art, Craft and Needlework for April, 2013

Postby Nancy » Tue Apr 02, 2013 9:19 am

Dgd did some knitting here yesterday.
With chicks in the basement again not much sewing will be going on around here.

Ivy

Postby Ivy » Tue Apr 02, 2013 3:15 pm

I'm crocheting facecloths, which is a "Woven Stitch Dishcloth" pattern from Geocities, from years ago. I believe it's still on-line at Crochet Pattern Central or Linda's Lists. Here's the link. You might need to go to the Wayback Machine to get it, too. It's very sweet, I'm edging it in HDC around in a CC. Here's the link:

http://www.geocities.com/lindaslists/wovenstitchhdc.htm

I believe it might also be at: http://www.crochetpatterncentral.com Under "dishcloths" and go to "Woven Stitch Dishcloth". It makes a wonderful facecloth.

Also, you can chain any odd # of stitches to make a scarf, shawl, baby afghan or lap robe or afghan. I also believe, if you made several of them in different colors, in 100% acrylic yarn, such as Red Heart Super Saver, Caron, etc... You could edge them in a MC and the sew the squares together, to make a lovely afghan. :idea:

EDIT: I checked, it's not where I thought it would be. Here goes:

Crochet Hook size "H".

Foundation Chain and Row 1: Ch 29, turn, Skip 1st 2 ch, sc in next ch, *ch 1, skip 1 ch, 1 sc in next ch. Repeat to end. Ch 2 and turn.

Row 2: *Sc in ch space of previous row, ch 1, repeat to end and do 1 sc in turning ch 2 space. Ch 2 and turn.

They say repeat for 25 rows, edge, but I found 24 rows was large enough for me and I do the HDC or DC around for edging. I've seen this pattern at all sorts of sites, using different starting chain lengths, too. I've seen it used for scarves, etc.., too, so it's a universal pattern, very common. :)
Touch the earth, love the earth, her plains, her valleys, her seas. Rest your soul in her solitary places. ~Henry Beston

Ivy

Postby Ivy » Tue Apr 09, 2013 12:21 am

Hi! :D I just found out from DD how "Infinity Scarves" are the latest rage now. They're big circular scarves, in soft light-weight yarns, can be lacy-looking when done, and you can wear them down into a long single descending circle or double them up, to make it look like there are 2 circle scarves around your neck in 2 sizes. My question is that some of the yarns used, are lightweight and EXPENSIVE, like mohair, etc... :roll: :? :!: I don't see why I cannot take any lightweight baby yarn, sport baby yarn or baby weight really skinny yarn to get the same effect as the more expensive mohair yarns. Does anybody else agree with me that a cheaper substitution is not only reasonable, but can be equal in the beauty of the scarf, too? :?: I don't want to sound CHEAP, :oops: but..... I looked on-line at ONE site, which has the recommended yarn for its infinity scarf and $9 for four skeins is just a bit too much $$ for my style. Since I've got baby yarns on hand, which are thin, lightweight, too, it'd be just a nice, in my opinion and washable, too. :idea: I'd like something cute for spring, but don't want to go out paying an arm and a leg for yarn, when a more reasonably cheaper version is available. This is what knitters and crocheters do anyway, right? :?: They try to simplify and use a more cheaper, yet just as nice yarn, don't we? :?: :?: :?:
Touch the earth, love the earth, her plains, her valleys, her seas. Rest your soul in her solitary places. ~Henry Beston

Nancy

Postby Nancy » Tue Apr 09, 2013 12:15 pm

Ivy I would go ahead and use baby yarn for me especially until I figure it out takes me 2-3 to get it the way I want on a new project any way! Baby yard is easier to un-knit too!

I have been working up another knitted tote tweaking the idea I had for the first one that turn out okay but I have some improvements I want to make on this next one.

Ivy

Postby Ivy » Tue Apr 09, 2013 3:12 pm

Thank you, Nancy! :D

I looked up the yarns, they listed the weight they are, which are just the same weights as baby yarns are, too. :idea:

Once, while DD was here, I was crocheting a tan variegated purse. I'd gotten to the portion where I was doing the top of the purse, because the portion where you fill it up, was done. So DD got an idea! :idea: She said (years ago!), "Mom! Hand me your purse! I want to try it on my head!" :lol: She put it on, it was a perfect HAT, so she had me add a brim and she had a hat! :!: :P I have inherited it back now, washed it, air dried it, and tried it on today. It's such a cute hat! So whenever you're making yourself a purse, try it on your head, too, because you'll never know when you'll get a new hat! ;)

Nancy

Postby Nancy » Wed Apr 10, 2013 10:05 am

I've been toying with the idea of jewelry making it sounds fun but spendy. I looked over the selection of beads & supplies for that and chatted with another shopper about doing it at W-mart it was great. I'll be looking for some beading mags. as well. Dil does it or did it so she might have some pointers. I've been taking a few notes from Jewlery T.V. on the Jewel school spendy stuff but fascinating at lest some of it it.

BookSaver
Administrator

Postby BookSaver » Wed Apr 10, 2013 9:14 pm

Ivy ~ I've seen a lot of the infinity scarves here in specialty fluffy yarns, but of course it's been winter. I think your baby yarns would work even better for spring.

Nancy ~ A friend who makes jewelry once told me that she finds some of her best supplies at Goodwill and Salvation Army by looking at long necklaces, bracelets, and even belts that can be taken apart. A very popular designer near here buys broken jewelry at garage sales and turns them into gorgeous art pieces that she sells for high $.

So yes, both knitting and jewelry making are like sewing in that they can be very expensive hobbies ... but they don't have to be.

Nancy

Postby Nancy » Wed Apr 10, 2013 10:17 pm

Booksaver thanks for that input! I got a mag. on beads have a belt I took apart to use for this that I'd forgotten about so I'll hunt that up. I remember making a bead ring when I was in high school that turned out well I used wire for it.

Nancy

Postby Nancy » Sun Apr 14, 2013 1:29 pm

EN I've been meaning to ask where you get your beading supplies and if you took a class or not to learn.

Yesterday we were able to get a few things done went to the library and I got a couple books on beading, then to the store for beads a couple guys were there one an Indian [Nez Pierce tribe is 13 mi. from here I assumed he was one.] His pal showed me a set of beading tools, I got and then found a beading board he decided that he needed one too.

When I got home opened up the packet of mixed beads and spent the evening sorting them out. That was hard on my neck.

Return to “The Creative Home”