Art. Craft and Needlework for May, 2013

A place for Artistry, Crafts and Needlework; Decorating and Holidays.
Nancy
Location: Washington state in the Pacific Northwestern part of the USA.

Re: Art. Craft and Needlework for May, 2013

Postby Nancy » Sun May 19, 2013 2:29 pm

I have gathered yarn for this project so making some progress on it but the white has flaws in it that I have been ripping and then clipping out ~sigh~ so it's been like two steps forward one step back with this one kinda like life some times.

Ivy

Postby Ivy » Mon May 20, 2013 12:37 pm

I crocheted a variegated baby girl Sweetie Pie vest from Red Heart. The variegated colors come out as bands of about 3" of colors on the vest, both from and back. If you start the front of the vest, on the exact same place you started the back of the vest, once it's sewn at the seams, the front and back match. It turned out cute in yellow, mint, and white. :D
Touch the earth, love the earth, her plains, her valleys, her seas. Rest your soul in her solitary places. ~Henry Beston

Ivy

Postby Ivy » Mon May 20, 2013 8:45 pm

I couldn't figure out the pattern, for the wrap sweater, after putting sleeve holes in. :?: :twisted: :roll: :oops: :shock: I decided to make a hoody instead.

My 92-year-old art teacher, in CA now, Art is his name, :lol: is doing pencil portraits now. He told me to mail him photos of the grandkids or us, for him to do pencil portraits for me. In an exchange barter, I'll be making him things in crochet for his kitchen and bathroom. The sketches will be nice Christmas gifts. :idea:
Touch the earth, love the earth, her plains, her valleys, her seas. Rest your soul in her solitary places. ~Henry Beston

Ivy

Postby Ivy » Tue May 21, 2013 12:34 am

I got out Art's yarn colors for his kitchen and bathroom. I'm slowly getting patterns together. I'm collecting .JPG photos of the grandchildren for the pencil portraits. I've printed 3 so far. The barter with crochet will be fun! His plates are black and red in his kitchen, he's a widower, and I have 1-Lb. cones of black P 'n' C and red P 'n' C. Wonderful potholders those would be! :idea: For a man's kitchen. ;)

Also, I've often made myself facecloths and others dishcloths, where after the foundation chain is SC, CH-1, SK 1 ST, SC in next SC, across. The pattern seems akin to woven. It's warm, easy to do and is brainless work. What I'm surprised about is this:
1- First, I find a striped afghan using this stitch to make for our 3 youngest grandchildren for Christmas
2- Then, the "Baby Clouds" vest I crocheted, used the SAME stitch! :!: :o
3- THEN, the matching hat pattern I found, was the SAME STITCH, TOO! :shock:
4- So today, when I gave up on the obvious too-difficult-for-me to do sweater, I started the hoody and yes! :lol: It's the very same stitch, too. :D I'm so happy, too, because as my eyesight fails, I'll be able to crochet this stitch easily because my thumb and forefinger can feel that space where the ch-1 is at, so I can "feel" where to put my hook. No way is any eyesight diminishing going to take ME away from crochet! I can use different colors and types of yarns from baby up to chunky to get different effects to make different types of things for others. I'm so glad I've made this discovery on my own because now it doesn't make losing sight slowly so terrible. I have a dfriend who is legally blind and a pen pal who's DH is blind and yes! Blind people work, too! And so I shall be crocheting, too! :D

Ivy

Postby Ivy » Tue May 21, 2013 11:11 pm

The Megan crochet's going slow. I wasn't chipper today, had a nap. I worked a bit on the hoody, it's almost to the 6.5" mark where I start forming sleeves. It's going to be cute. I'm going to crochet now through next week, in hopes to ship the box of goodies between June 3 - 5. :idea: I found some short-sleeved size "G" newborn short-sleeved tops, but I'm going to use a "J" hook, to make them larger for her to grow into, since she's wearing 0 - 3 months now. I believe a "J" hook will be perfect, since I crochet looser.

Nancy

Postby Nancy » Wed May 22, 2013 4:40 pm

I got some knitting done this morning. :mrgreen:

Ivy

Postby Ivy » Thu May 23, 2013 8:04 pm

The ophthalmologist said I've got a viral infection in my right eye, to cease crocheting for Baby Megan, for 10 days, until the virus runs its course. When I resume crochet, he said the items I crocheted prior to coming to his office today, should be washed. Good idea! :idea: I'll miss the crochet, but I can crochet for myself, and wash items when I'm done, such as dishcloths, etc..

BookSaver
Administrator

Postby BookSaver » Fri May 24, 2013 11:09 pm

I am on my 4th crocheted face cloth using the easy "woven" pattern that Ivy posted last month. (Thanks again, Ivy!) I crochet when I am sitting watching tv, which I'm trying to limit, so it is slow going.

I'm only doing them because after Ivy posted the pattern, I was walking by the craft dept. in WM and a big cone of "Peaches & Creme" brand cotton yarn jumped into my cart. ;) It is in variegated colors that coordinate perfectly with the counter in my upstairs bathroom.

I'm trying to keep my tension loose so the cloths will stay soft.

Ivy ~ Hmm, I guess I automatically wash everything after I finish crocheting. I never know what the yarn had been exposed to in the store before I bought it. And of course here at home it usually falls on the floor at least once while I'm working on it.

Ivy

Postby Ivy » Sat May 25, 2013 1:33 am

Hi, Booksaver! You can also edge those woven stitch washcloths/dishcloths in a variety of ways using SC with DC or HDC, etc.. to make different looks. Also, I've seen the same pattern made where they use a CC yarn to SC an edging, then CC to do DC around, followed by CC SC again. It's really pretty. Also, some patterns chain a loop so you can hang the cloth on a faucet or hook, too. :idea:

I didn't ever hear about washing crochet before giving it away or using it, but it sure does make good sense to me now! :!: Thanks! :D

I've been browsing patterns tonight. This is what I've found:

At http://www.redheart.com liked the "Happy Halter for Toddler" and it is LW2343,if you search for it there in their engine.

Also, "Little Baby Bee Playsuit & Hat" is at the same site with the pattern number of LW3348. It could be made in other colors minus the antennae, I think. :idea:

Same site is "Baby Candy Stripe Vest" and number LW2284. I love the style to be honest with you. Could be made in coordinated or contrasting colors. :idea: ;)

They also had "Darling One-Piece Romper & Hat" with number LW2128.

And they had LW3320, which is "Peapod Baby Sundress". They said it can be worn over tops & leggings. :idea:

I only have to wait until Sunday the 2nd to resume my crocheting, then I'll wash everything. In the meantime, I'll take care of myself and slowly work on stories for the Sept. deadline.

Happy Memorial Day Weekend! Happy Crocheting & Crafting, Everybody, too! :D

Nancy

Postby Nancy » Sat May 25, 2013 1:15 pm

I went to a yard sale and got some more fabric and have hemmed a cloth for the table and made up three feed bags for the chicken feed that is easier for me to lift! Yea!

I did some knitting too.

Return to “The Creative Home”