Art. Craft and Needlework for May, 2013

A place for Artistry, Crafts and Needlework; Decorating and Holidays.
Ivy

Re: Art. Craft and Needlework for May, 2013

Postby Ivy » Sat May 25, 2013 6:57 pm

I'm not crocheting right now, because I could be contagious on the yarn, but I'm making plans on what to make next and it's very fun to make plans and look ahead.

You did great, Nancy! :D

Booksaver, :idea: That woven stitch can be used for scarves, hats, crocheted in the round or flat, then sewn closed, for shawls, dishtowels, scrubbing towels, and for afghans, too. I found a pattern at Lion Brand, which is black and white striped in the photo, which is the same stitch, only striped! :!: I'm going to crochet it for the 3 youngest grands for Christmas. When Christmas is here, their ages with be dgd-11 months, 2 dgsons-2.5 & 3.5. ;) The older boys have tons of afghans and hats from me from over the past 16 years, they think crochet is "dorky" now and don't want/need anymore. Their moms have told me how they've felt. :roll: :?
Touch the earth, love the earth, her plains, her valleys, her seas. Rest your soul in her solitary places. ~Henry Beston

Ivy

Postby Ivy » Sat May 25, 2013 10:22 pm

When I wash the baby items I've made, I've saved the labels, for laundering instructions, and have printed which item is which yarn, onto the label so Ddil knows. My question is, when I also follow instructions, isn't it better to launder them on delicate in a lingerie bag, and then dry them loose in the dryer on delicate? :?: I don't want to mess anything up.

I also have another question. :?: :oops: One hoody pattern I'm making (on hold for now though) said after all the pattern pieces are crocheted, to pin them, to the measurements, such as on an ironing board, lay a wet dishtowel over them, to dry. DH thinks this is absolutely ridiculous! :lol: However, isn't it a form of "blocking" the pieces, so that as you sew pieces together and the hoody's washed by Ddil, it won't stretch out? :?: I have 2 ironing boards; 1 super large Italian Costco one and 1 short tabletop Walmart one, so I have plenty of places to do this. Also, I can put them in the bunny room, as the cloth dries because my kitty cat loves to jump on ironing boards for some reason. :roll: I can close the bunny room door.

Another question I have is, if I find a cute pattern for a 1-year old, but I want a 6-month sized item, all I need to do is use a crochet hook 2 sizes down, right? :?: I was thinking about a particular pattern requiring an "I" hook, but felt if I used a "G" hook, it'd come out all right. It's a halter top with a neck strap that buttons at the front bodice and the rest is a shorter skirt. I have cute buttons and sure would love to make this for her for "THIS" year, rather than needing to wait one more year. If all else fails, Gramma will just wait 1 more year. :lol:
Touch the earth, love the earth, her plains, her valleys, her seas. Rest your soul in her solitary places. ~Henry Beston

Ivy

Postby Ivy » Tue May 28, 2013 2:08 am

I wear AFO's in my running shoes, which are Ankle-Foot Orthotics. They come up my calf about 8". They're made from suede, plastic and have Velcro closures. They're very nice. I wear them for balance. Today, in my recilner, I was napping with a blanket, sweat pants and a tee and cardigan. My legs got so C-O-L-D from where the AFO's end, on up to my knees! I thought, "What about leg warmers?" :idea:

The doctor said not to crochet for Baby Megan, while I have this virus, to wash everything before I give it to them, but nothing says I can't crochet leg warmers for myself and yes, I CAN and WILL wash them before I wear them. ;) I think it'll be fun, while I'm "supposed" to be resting, to crochet leg warmers. It was that, or pay $16.97 for 2 pairs, which looked very cheap + throw in taxes + S/H. My idea's better, cheaper, and keeps me out of trouble. :lol:

Ivy

Postby Ivy » Tue May 28, 2013 3:09 pm

Found a simple leggings pattern from the 80's at the Wayback Machine Archive. No photo, but the pattern is similar to one from Ravelry in color. I'll do the Wayback ones first. :idea:

BookSaver
Administrator

Postby BookSaver » Tue May 28, 2013 3:27 pm

Ivy, I'm sorry I cannot help with your question about using a different size hook to make a pattern smaller. I have not crocheted baby clothes in many years. I assume, going from general experience with making other clothes, that you would need to know the baby's actual measurements rather than just a general age.

For example, I have 2 great-nieces born just 2 months apart. The younger one even from birth has always been a much larger size than the older one, I guess because her daddy is a big man.

Therefore, if I wanted to try to make matching outfits from the same pattern for the little cousins, I would need to know both of their measurements. Looking at a pattern or store tag that just says "age X number of months" will not really tell me the real size.

I think making leg warmers for yourself is a great :idea: idea.

Ivy

Postby Ivy » Tue May 28, 2013 4:35 pm

The leg warmers didn't pan out. I have too much writing to do for an upcoming deadline, plus and organizational writing project going on. Sitting, crocheting on the first rows on the leg warmers just drove me up the wall. :oops: I'm not feeling well today. :cry: So I ordered 2 pairs of leggings to total $16.97 for 1 pr. white, 1 pr. black to total $20, so I'm taking the easy way out, saving myself the aggravation of trying to get something homemade to fit me, etc...

Once, in 2004, when we moved in here, I tried crocheting myself a pair of leg warmers. :roll: It did NOT work. It was terribly dumb, wouldn't stay up on my leg, so I stopped at 1 leg warmer and have always wanted to buy some instead. :lol:

Ivy

Postby Ivy » Tue May 28, 2013 9:52 pm

I've decided, since I won't be crocheting until this weekend or Monday, how it'll be a great time for me to get patterns firmly decided on for my art teacher, turning 93 on June 29 and plan out more Baby Megan crochet. The kitchen yarn's all toted up for the art teacher and his patterns are in files in the bedroom.

I find that doing gift crochet for others is rewarding, it relaxes me and I find it so worthwhile and blesses others. But when I crochet for me, I'm not as blessed-feeling, as when I do for others. It's not that I'm not treating myself, too, but it just warms my heart so much to do for others, when I know how it's appreciated. I've blessed myself with tons of hats, potholders, dish/facecloths and afghans. I like to do for others so much. :D

Elizabeth

Postby Elizabeth » Wed May 29, 2013 12:53 am

Here are the two latest Barbie dresses. The first is a playsuit from 1958 and the second is a dress from the 1840s. I finished the latter tonight.

ScreenShot004.jpg

ScreenShot005.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

OKay

Postby OKay » Wed May 29, 2013 8:33 am

Elizabeth - those are darling outfits! BWTG!

Nancy
Location: Washington state in the Pacific Northwestern part of the USA.

Postby Nancy » Wed May 29, 2013 4:21 pm

Cute!

Return to “The Creative Home”