Art. Craft and Needlework for May, 2013

A place for Artistry, Crafts and Needlework; Decorating and Holidays.
Ivy

Re: Art. Craft and Needlework for May, 2013

Postby Ivy » Wed May 08, 2013 11:04 pm

I forgot to say something, which is important to me. :lol: The yarns for the 6-months sizes tops, vests, and cardigans I purchased today, are way new-to-me yarns to crochet with! :!: One is Red Heart "Baby Clouds". 3 are different colors of Red Heart "Baby Sheen". There were so few colors of the Baby Sheen there, but they were exactly the SAME 3 colors listed in the pattern's photo! :o :!: Wow! It was like destiny! :!: ;) Then, I had to purchase a #3 crochet thread for making tie-on straps for halter tops. I chose pink because the different halter tops pink ties will match will be a pink halter, lavender halter, and white halter, too. :idea: :) I also bought some baby yarn called "Little Treat", but I can't recall who it's made by. It had a great sale on it. :)

Also, I'm going to crochet 2 cardigan sweaters in pink, for 1, and in lavender for the other. I got white kitties buttons with pink on their faces for features and whiskers, for 1 cardigan, and for the other, we picked up 2 little hippo lavender buttons. Too cute for words, actually! :lol: They'll be adorable sweaters when done. :idea: ;)

When we got to check-out, I had $40 cash, but as the clerk kept ringing items up, DH reached into his pocket, for his wallet. He just "knew" he'd be needed to help me out! :lol: I ended up paying for the entire purchase myself and I got $2.73 back in change. DH was pretty surprised and said, "Huh. That worked out pretty good." :) It was such a funny moment for me. I usually need to be helped out because I've gone over the amount, but not today! I did good!

I'm looking forward to crocheting with new and different types of yarns, too. I think change is good. I'm going to live on the wild side. :D
Touch the earth, love the earth, her plains, her valleys, her seas. Rest your soul in her solitary places. ~Henry Beston

Ivy

Postby Ivy » Thu May 09, 2013 10:43 pm

I'm working on a baby vest in Red Heart Baby Clouds, in pink, for Megan who turned 4 months old yesterday. I'm making 6-month sizes. It took me awhile to find where I'd put my size "M" crochet hook, but I finally found it in a tote with another project. :roll:
Touch the earth, love the earth, her plains, her valleys, her seas. Rest your soul in her solitary places. ~Henry Beston

Nancy
Location: Washington state in the Pacific Northwestern part of the USA.

Postby Nancy » Fri May 10, 2013 9:01 am

Knitting project is going well kelly green to begin with and then some navy and purple stripes to break it up are the colors I have that will go with this bag project.

Ivy

Postby Ivy » Wed May 15, 2013 7:33 pm

Baby Clouds pink yarn Red Heart pullover warm and cozy vest for Megan, in 6 months size, turned out adorable. There's so much pink Baby Clouds yarn leftover that I'm going to make a Bernat baby hat in a larger size hook with a cuff. It'll be a sweet outfit when it's chilly here in W. WA State, for evenings and mornings, too.

This is the very first time I've bought and used Baby Clouds, I did very well and am so proud of myself. It truly looks like a ready-made vest! :!: :P I'm just so happy that I finally caved in and bought yarn, other than R.H. Super Saver or Caron Pound, did something specifically for the pattern and my-oh-my. I'm so happy!

DH also bought a $2/off to become $5 baby girl set with a onesie that says, "Daddy's Little Girl" and then there is also a diaper cover and little dress with a whale on it. DH is a softie for his new DGD, too. ;)

Nancy

Postby Nancy » Thu May 16, 2013 1:15 pm

Finished up the shades of green piece I've been knitting on.

Next will be red and :?: not sure if it will be pink or white then I"ll be out of yarn and thinking of doing something with the softer stuff next time.

Harriet

Postby Harriet » Thu May 16, 2013 1:58 pm

All the yarns are so beautiful whenever I pass by their displays - I think of our crochet and knitting artists here!! There is a yarn shop I saw with a darling name - knit one, stitch too. She means she has yarns for crewel, rug-hooking, needlepoint, etc.

The hanging basket experiment of little mini-annuals is very pretty right now, though just starting to fill in. The white Calypso bacopa has put out 10 new blossoms just through the morning, I think! Tiny white fairy-like blossoms. I'm so glad to find that the nearby nursery regularly sells such a pretty white filler, because you can always use those. (Hybrid, so no use for me to try to save seed.) My dear gardening aunt used to love filling in her mini-roses with daintier filler plants. She would have loved this one. Of the calibrachoa mini-petunias, the Cherry Star is the standout and I would recommend it most. Hate to admit it, but the yellow one, under the same conditions, has been a disappointment. Interesting.

Ivy

Postby Ivy » Fri May 17, 2013 1:14 am

I'm working on a "Color Block Cardi" found at:

http://www.redheart.com

The pattern number is LW3289, if you search in their engine there. It's a very "challenging" :roll: :!: :o pattern for me, for some reason. I'm now doing the blue skirting. I've got the pistachio green yoke done, the sleeve holes formed. Now I'll be working on the skirting and then the sleeves will come tomorrow. :idea:

One thing, which I found rather odd, yet very wonderful is this: We went to Joann's Fabrics & Crafts, with my clipboard of computer print-out baby patterns. I knew specific yarns to purchase. This Color Block Cardi takes Red Heart "Baby Sheen" yarn. There were ONLY 3 BALLS left in the bin! They ALL THREE were the same colors, required in this particular pattern, for Megan, for 6 months size! :!: :D :o Now if THAT'S not "destiny", then I sure have no clue what is! :lol: I was very, very surprised, yet very, very pleased, too. I can hardly wait to finish the cardi. We may take it back to Johann's with us, to get the 1/2" buttons. I know, in the pattern photo they use plain white ones, which is simple enough, but it would be so wonderful to find some animal or flower buttons. I'm planning on making a pink cardigan (not this pattern - a long-sleeved one) and I got pink and white kitty cat faces buttons for it and for the lavender cardigan we got purple little hippo faces buttons. ;) It's so fun to have DH drive me places to spend my prize money! I find such great things with his help! 4 eyes are better than 2! :idea: Or should I say six because I'm a 4-eyes lady with eyeglasses, too. :lol:

Nancy

Postby Nancy » Fri May 17, 2013 10:37 am

Wish me luck getting yarn for my current project today!

Ivy

Postby Ivy » Sat May 18, 2013 5:27 pm

Good luck, Nancy, on getting your yarn! :!:

The short-sleeved "Color Block Cardi" for baby girls from the Red Heart site, is turning out adorable! I bet her dmommy has her photos taken in it. I can't believe I've done this, but I pray while I crochet, so I get help when I "pray crochet" or "crochet pray". It's calming, too.

I've already decided on my next cardigan for Megan in variegated pink and white with white kitty cat faces buttons with pink features, etc.... ;) I've not had so much fun since I was 7th grade and made Barbie doll clothes, while bedridden with Hep 1 for a semester. :D

Ivy

Postby Ivy » Sun May 19, 2013 1:03 am

The "Color Block Cardi" from Red Heart's site, turned out absolutely gorgeous for my dgd! :!: I truly cannot "believe" I made it! :lol: It's THAT nice-looking!

Now I'm making a pullover vest for dgd in white/yellow/mint variegated yarn.

Sunday, I plan to start a pink/white variegated cardigan with 2 white trimmed in pink cat buttons. The cardigan doesn't button down the center, but more over to the side, like the same area where Kimonos fasten on the top. Between center and the shoulder area.

I'm enjoying crocheting for dgd and getting the box filled up. :idea: I've been thinking about Christmas afghans for the younger 3 grands. I'm considering something simple because of my eye problems. :roll: I thought if I started out a rectangle Granny and then rather keep it in the 3 DC pattern, I'd DC in each stitch to make it warmer. I'd stripe them, too. I need to do something easy and not intricate because I'm having eye difficulties and the easier the pattern the better. I WANT to make something. When Christmas is here, the ages of the 3 youngest grands will be:

dgd = 11 months old
gson-next = 2 1/2
gson-next = 3 3/4.
Picking out the colors is the hardest part of all. With dgd though, pinks, lavender and white are a good idea. The boys are harder to figure out. I'll decide when I go get the yarns. :idea:

Return to “The Creative Home”