Art. Craft and Needlework for May, 2013

A place for Artistry, Crafts and Needlework; Decorating and Holidays.
Harriet

Re: Art. Craft and Needlework for May, 2013

Postby Harriet » Wed May 29, 2013 9:36 pm

Ivy I know less than BookSaver about your question.

I thought of our crocheters today when I saw a pair of crocheted booties in a gift dept.

Elizabeth, thank you for posting photos! The playsuit looks difficult to do and is fitted so nicely. The lines almost look princess seamed. What did you use to make the belt? Gorgeous sleeves on the dress.

Ivy

Postby Ivy » Wed May 29, 2013 11:28 pm

Harriet & Booksaver, I decided to just stick with regular patterns for Megan's age/size, which I've downloaded in her size. Currently she's in 0-3 months, her dmom said she'll be into 6 months next, so to focus on that size so she has something to grow in to. I'd hate to "experiment" and put a lot into something that turned out "dorky". :roll:

I LOVED the Barbie clothes! What a wonderful job! :D

I finally found a "manly" enough potholder pattern for my art teacher, Art, who turns 93 on June 29. It's called "Checkrboard Potholder" from Priscilla Hewitt's site. My URL goes on into ....... so I'm afraid it wouldn't come up, but if you "Googled" her name, her site would come up or if you "Googled" the pattern, it'd come up. I printed it in 2010, so I don't know if it's still there and it says it's from a web archive. :?: Anyway, it's a white and black checked pattern edged in red with a red loop. He said his kitchen is white and tan, but he bought himself some black and red plates. These potholders will fit in perfectly! :idea: I'll try to make him a dishtowel with a corner loop to hang from, on the mitered-type pattern or diagonal-type pattern. I've got a diagonal dishcloth pattern in a pattern leaflet, which I could enlarge, edge, and add a loop. :idea: He'll love these potholders because he's an artist and has an eye for color and pattern. :)
Touch the earth, love the earth, her plains, her valleys, her seas. Rest your soul in her solitary places. ~Henry Beston

Nancy
Location: Washington state in the Pacific Northwestern part of the USA.

Postby Nancy » Thu May 30, 2013 11:27 am

I thought of a use for some yarn that I was not able to use to complete a knitting project due to quality probs. with it stained from coffee or ? any way we cut it up for the birds to make nests with and the grand kids can put that out and we will be watching to see where the nests show up with that yarn in them! :mrgreen: How fun is that?

Ivy

Postby Ivy » Thu May 30, 2013 5:28 pm

Nancy, That sounds like a LOT of fun! :D

I found the perfect mitered dishcloth pattern, which with added rows will turn into a hanging dishtowel. I'll add the loop. The colors will be red,black, and white, to match Art's black and white checked potholders edged in red. Very manly.
Touch the earth, love the earth, her plains, her valleys, her seas. Rest your soul in her solitary places. ~Henry Beston

Ivy

Postby Ivy » Thu May 30, 2013 10:53 pm

I got to looking at the checkerboard potholders closer. The red and black checks are crocheted in strips, then are woven over, under, over, under, to weave the potholder. You pin it at the end, then crochet through all thicknesses to add the edging. It might be challenging to do the pinning and crochet while keeping the weaving pinned together, but the pattern says, "Very Easy"! We shall see. ;)

Elizabeth

Postby Elizabeth » Fri May 31, 2013 6:32 pm

Harriet: The belt is a purchased trim (plastic).

Return to “The Creative Home”