Art, Craft and Needlework, June, 2013

A place for Artistry, Crafts and Needlework; Decorating and Holidays.
Nancy
Location: Washington state in the Pacific Northwestern part of the USA.

Re: Art, Craft and Needlework, June, 2013

Postby Nancy » Wed Jun 05, 2013 2:12 pm

Have a white section done on the prayer shawl and now working on yellow.

Ivy

Postby Ivy » Wed Jun 05, 2013 5:42 pm

Nancy, How many colors will be in it? How wide is each section? :?:

I made a prayer shawl once, but it wasn't a prayer shawl "official" pattern. It turned out very long, which was nice, but not deep enough to give my very long arms coverage. I stored it for about 4 years, got tired of it, and didn't have anyone special in mind to give it to. I donated it to Arc, so I'm sure the perfect person who got it was very happy with it. I did that with some hats and a poncho, which was too small for me and made me look gargantuan. :lol: I'm sure a teenager ended up with it.
Touch the earth, love the earth, her plains, her valleys, her seas. Rest your soul in her solitary places. ~Henry Beston

Elizabeth

Postby Elizabeth » Wed Jun 05, 2013 11:34 pm

Hi everyone! I finally finished the yellow crocheted jacket. I think I have been working on it for about a year and a half (not continuously). It has had many froggings in different places, but it is now done! Here it is:
front.jpg
back.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Nancy

Postby Nancy » Thu Jun 06, 2013 10:51 am

Elizabeth that is lovely.

I'm doing and 80 stitch wide prayer shawl, some rows are 6"-8" wide others only 1" I have red white blue and yellow on this one I"m nearing the end of this project. [I did not work on it yesterday.]

Ack! found I skipped one of the colors in the sequence so had to rip out a week's work this morning! ~sigh~ oh well just more knitting fun for me to do.

Harriet

Postby Harriet » Thu Jun 06, 2013 5:02 pm

Elizabeth, that's just beautiful. What a pretty drape it has down the front/closure and around the neck. Are you the model? Very slim and attractive, if so. dd14 walks by and says, "that's a cute jacket."

Sunny

Postby Sunny » Thu Jun 06, 2013 8:36 pm

Elizabeth, I like your jacket. That's a very pretty pattern.
Start by doing what's necessary, then what's possible, and suddenly you are doing the impossible. --- Francis of Assisi

Ivy

Postby Ivy » Thu Jun 06, 2013 11:01 pm

Elizabeth, you do the most beautiful work! You should be very proud of yourself. What a lovely pattern on the model, too. It drapes just "so", to accentuate the pattern more. How lovely! :D
Touch the earth, love the earth, her plains, her valleys, her seas. Rest your soul in her solitary places. ~Henry Beston

Ivy

Postby Ivy » Sun Jun 09, 2013 12:11 am

I re-thought my idea on crocheting the checkerboard potholder for Art, my old art teacher from 30 years ago. It said it's an "easy" pattern, however all the strips, weaving, pinning and then trying to edge and catch in all the stitches of woven & pinned pieces sounded too "fussy" to me. :roll: Too complicated to coordinate all pieces, too time-consuming, is what I came to the conclusion of. :idea:

I had made DH some potholders before, which can be done solid or striped. One stitch is done in the FL and the next stitch is done in the BL across. The colors will red, black and white, for the potholders,in stripes with white in the center. I'll edge them in white. They're the right size for a man's hands, as DH uses them ALL the time. :idea: (Just remembered how he uses them so much, I need to wash them up!) :lol: The thickness is very safe, for holding onto hot pots and handles. I also made this pattern for someone else, but it was in a solid color, which brought the weave of the pattern out, which was lovely. DH's potholders are variegated and very attractive. :D I don't know what it is about me and potholders..... :?: I find them fun to make. :!:

Also, did you know how you can go to a fabric dept. and get thin fiberfill (I've got bamboo insulation in mine) to sew in between the layers of the potholder sides, to insulate them better. I was told to read the manufacturer's washing instructions before buying, so I'd know whether to throw them in the dryer or flat dry only. When given as a gift, a gentle reminder note, wrapped inside with the gift, helps the new gift receiver know how to launder their new gift, too. I don't know if everyone does these things or not, but I used to not do them, but do now, out of consideration for the new owner, but also out of respect for myself and all the time, energy and loving work I put into the project. I'd hate to see something fall all apart in the washer or shrink in the dryer or pucker.

Ivy

Postby Ivy » Mon Jun 10, 2013 11:09 pm

I had crocheted my cat a catnip pillow, about 4" x 2.5" with 2 curly 1.5" curly legs on it, in chunky yellow yarn. She sleeps in the utility room a. k. a. her "night-night room". It's a very large room, she has a lovely comfy bed on the counter, water, foods, and this catnip pillow, she plays with at night.

I've noticed, lately, :shock: :oops: how dirty-looking it is! I downloaded some catnip toys, will also make her another pillow, only will use double-thick worsted weight P 'n' C yarn. 1 pattern on-line said to chain 13 chains, then sc in 2nd ch from hook, sc across, ch-1, turn, keep going until you have a square or rectangle and I forgot if you make 2 and sew them together or not. :?: :roll: :oops: :lol: The old yellow one I made before, was a very long rectangle, which I folded and sc closed 3 openings, stuffing it before closing the last opening. It worked just fine. It's not going to the State Fair as an entry. It doesn't need to be "perfect", just fun for my cat, which it will be. I might put on some curly legs, too, for fun, too.

I printed up a mouse, a fish, and a couple of ball patterns, too. She loves catnip, goes nuts over it, and she'll be able to entertain the grandsons with her gyrations when they come to visit this summer. ;)

Nancy

Postby Nancy » Tue Jun 11, 2013 9:13 am

On thing about being car-less is that I've been able to make some great progress on my knitting project have the white complete now. It's like 3/4ths of the way done.

Return to “The Creative Home”