Art, Craft and Needlework, June, 2013

A place for Artistry, Crafts and Needlework; Decorating and Holidays.
Ivy

Re: Art, Craft and Needlework, June, 2013

Postby Ivy » Tue Jun 11, 2013 12:03 pm

Made a catnip pillow out of P 'n' C double-thick yarn. SC 13, then made a rectangle, sc around, we put catnip into a knee-high stocking, DH tied it tight, and I crocheted it closed. Our cat was in the garage, as I made this, so put the finished pillow on the great room rug, on the black pattern part of the area rug. We let dcat inside, she came in slowly going around the great room, getting her pets, as she does when she comes in at first. Then she went straight for the catnip pillow! She kissed it, rubbed her head all over it, played with it in her paws, and had a gay old time! :lol: She went to bed with it, I heard her playing in the night. She woke this a.m. and she's sniffing the catnip smell left behind on the area rug from last night. I'll make a ball next, with catnip in the toe of a nylon stocking. :idea:
Touch the earth, love the earth, her plains, her valleys, her seas. Rest your soul in her solitary places. ~Henry Beston

Harriet

Postby Harriet » Tue Jun 11, 2013 4:18 pm

Nancy, that's actually pretty cool that you find more chances for knitting right through the car trouble! Good that you caught the mistake and were able to do it over - I hate when I get so far along past a mistake that it seems like a chore.

Ivy, you certainly know you were appreciated, don't you? :lol: Funny that you surprised her.

Dd puts some of her sketches onto an online art site (free). You get "likes" there if someone notices your work and wants to compliment. Recently she put her own version of a sketch by a famous sketch artist who has published several books, and gave him credit. Today she got a "like" from the head of his fan site, who also looked over her other original sketches, giving "likes" to 3 of them. I told her to examine those 3 and try to see what was better about them, maybe, than other sketches, what caught the person's eye.

Ivy

Postby Ivy » Tue Jun 11, 2013 6:45 pm

I made my cat a 3rd and last catnip item. This time I used double-thick P 'n' C yarn, which made a larger more sturdy catnip ball. Between the catnip things and treats I give her, she REALLY-REALLY like me! :lol: I gave her fresh water and DH fed her. She runs this house! But I tell her she's NOT the Queen- I AM- and SHE'S the "Princess". ;)

Nancy, I'm glad you caught your mistake, too. How far along before you're finished with it? :?:

Harriet, It's great your DD posted her sketches on-line, too. It's always fun to get "likes" to what we accomplish. :D
Touch the earth, love the earth, her plains, her valleys, her seas. Rest your soul in her solitary places. ~Henry Beston

Elizabeth

Postby Elizabeth » Wed Jun 12, 2013 1:19 am

Harriet: Yep, that's me!

Nancy
Location: Washington state in the Pacific Northwestern part of the USA.

Postby Nancy » Wed Jun 12, 2013 10:42 am

I make prayer shawls another 6" or so on this one.
Last edited by Nancy on Wed Jun 12, 2013 7:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ivy

Postby Ivy » Wed Jun 12, 2013 6:47 pm

I'm crocheting a couple of little halters for 5 month old dgd, Megan, who just got her ears pierced. Ddil said she'd lost all her hair and everybody was asking is Megan was a baby boy, too. :lol: So the pierced ears will help. She needs to wear more floral headbands or cute girlie hats, I guess. The halters are feminine and Gpa bought her an outfit they love, too.

After shipping Megan's halters, hopefully Fri., I'll begin the red, black, and white potholder and mitered dishtowel set for a dfriend turning 93 on June 29. I'll try to do a back scrubber, too, if it fits in the mailer, but we have boxes, too. :idea:

Ivy

Postby Ivy » Fri Jun 14, 2013 10:33 pm

Things change. I'll try to post the mailer to Megan on Monday or Tuesday. The one halter turned out cute, which is a round toddler halter from http://www.redheart.com It's measurements were small, so I'm sure it'll fit. The other halter I started, has a good top over the short bodice, but when I did the skirt, the stitches weren't quite right and it made the top narrower and narrower. I tore it out, am doing a DC-ch1-DC shell stitch back and forth. It buttons in the back with 3 buttons on about a 4" length bodice and the skirt will be about 7" long. I'm using Red Heart Luster Sheen again. It's so nice to work with. When I finish this halter, I might try the toddler halter using a next size down hook and Luster Sheen yarns because the original pattern calls for RHSS and an "H" hook. I felt "G" would be good for Luster Sheen, on a baby girl. :idea:

Nancy
Location: Washington state in the Pacific Northwestern part of the USA.

Postby Nancy » Sat Jun 15, 2013 10:12 pm

I have finished the striped prayer shawl project.
I have another grey scarf going in a chunky yard it's fun to do!

Ivy

Postby Ivy » Sat Jun 15, 2013 11:39 pm

I did the bust-bodice top of the Luster Sheen halter. Then I did about 4" in their pattern, but it went smaller on the edges, than I liked. It looked like it'd be too tight and when I re-did the skirt part of it in the shell-stitch I posted I was doing, it looked so much cuter! I'll shoot for about 8" on the skirt, to see how long the halter is. I think 12" from top to bottom might be a good length. I asked Ddil to measure dgd, but they're so busy with both parents working, 6 boys and dgd baby, so it's hard for them to get everything done in every day. If I don't hear back, I'll shoot for the 12". I think that might work. :?:

My art teacher turns 93 on June 29 (which I've probably already said). The red, black and white potholders pattern, which I finally re-decided to do, I've made before for DH and another dfriend. My art teacher will be getting them, too, which are perfect for man's hands. Good size. The mitered dishtowel will be re-designed by me from a pattern for a mitered dishcloth. If there's enough yarns in the same colors, :idea: I'll go back and make him a matching mitered dishcloth to make the set complete. I'm blown away by his art. :!: He'll be blown away by my crochet. :D

Ivy

Postby Ivy » Thu Jun 20, 2013 8:14 pm

I gave up and decided to make Art, who turns 93 on June 29, Lion Brand's 1-hour potholder pattern in his kitchen colors. :idea: Now, to just sit down and get it done! :oops:

Return to “The Creative Home”