Art, Craft and Needlework, July, 2013

A place for Artistry, Crafts and Needlework; Decorating and Holidays.
Harriet

Re: Art, Craft and Needlework, July, 2013

Postby Harriet » Thu Jul 25, 2013 11:37 am

Nancy, I like any art/craft catalog better in paper format, too. You can easily mark a page or flip back and forth.

Even so, I've fallen in love with a window treatment/decorator pattern catalog online :roll: over the last couple days. If anyone hasn't seen a catalog from a window-treatment pattern company lately, I highly recommend this one. Wow. You just click on the page and it will get larger to read. Warning - there are 50 pages and every one is such pretty line drawings of ways you can make a valance, or pillow, or shade, from simple to fancy. You can spend a LOT of time looking, so watch out. LOL.

Their patterns are expensive, but I don't think you'd need to have every one you were interested in after you learned. And frankly, some come up on ebay, saving about a third after shipping. They are probably a good value, since they are not tissue paper but kraft paper to take harder use by pros who are going to make a lot of window treatments, and I must admit it is so interesting to see such an array of decorator looks made up into patterns for someone to make themselves. The catalog is large. There's a lot you can learn from it, a lot of ideas you could figure out yourself. One I'm interested in looks like I could do it myself, one looks like I'd have to buy the pattern.

So I'm also looking at online tutorials on making valance boards and how people do that inexpensively or easily. I've never made any type of curtain or valance except for those that thread onto rods, and I've found out I've been missing a lot. I've learned the word "board" means different things to different people.

To someone who wants a valance that is smooth and neat at the top, but the fabric hangs down free, "board" means a piece of wood like a 1x6 or 1x3, etc. It rests on the top of a window frame or on top of higher-set nails, jutting out. Velcro is attached to the 3 edges of it that will be visible, and the other part of the velcro is attached to the cloth valance project (top, wrong side), and you put it up and tada, take it down to wash.

To someone who wants what I call a cornice, also called a pelmet (like an upholstered, rigid valance), "board" means a shape like a box lid with one long edge gone where curtains might hang. That long edge might have a pretty curve. It could be made of wood or foam board. You cover that with batting and fabric, maybe trim, and hang it.

Ivy

Postby Ivy » Thu Jul 25, 2013 12:33 pm

I finished crocheting all 4 kitchen mats, they're beautiful and now I'm making myself a mitered hanging dishtowel to match the set. The color is variegated a.k.a. ombre in white, deep royal blue, and aqua. It's very pretty. :D

After the mitered hanging dishtowel is done, I shall:
1- Work on 3 youngest grandchildren's Christmas afghans
2- Do potholders for a gift stash.
3- Someday, I'd love to crochet myself an infinity scarf. :idea: But others come first, (sometimes).

I might reward myself, if I get things done for others, then I'll do a bit for myself. :idea:
Touch the earth, love the earth, her plains, her valleys, her seas. Rest your soul in her solitary places. ~Henry Beston

Nancy
Location: Washington state in the Pacific Northwestern part of the USA.

Postby Nancy » Thu Jul 25, 2013 1:29 pm

Back up from the sewing cave capri's are done, now to cut out the top that goes with them. One load of laundry done it's neat when I can do more than one thing with my time & enjoy at least one of them. :mrgreen: The sewing room it looking great this week I'm happy about that.

Ivy

Postby Ivy » Fri Jul 26, 2013 12:16 pm

I looked closer at the P 'n' C cone-1-Lb. yarn variegated color. It's royal blue, aqua, light blue, mint and white. I finished the kitchen set. I have 4 mats and 1 hanging mitered dishtowel out of the cone. Very little is leftover. I took a mitered dishcloth pattern and another dishcloth pattern, with edging on it, and added the edging from one pattern,onto the mitered dishcloth, which was 11" square or bigger, and it's such a beautiful set and it brightens up the sink/DW area a lot. DH really likes it! Me, too! :D :D
Touch the earth, love the earth, her plains, her valleys, her seas. Rest your soul in her solitary places. ~Henry Beston

Ivy

Postby Ivy » Sat Jul 27, 2013 12:24 pm

I'm currently crocheting on a Christmas afghan for dgd who will be 11 months old in December. It's a single large Granny square in pink, lavender and dark purple.

The dgrson who will be 2.5 at Christmas will have a large Granny in royal blue, grey blue and pastel blue.

The dgrson who will be 4.75 at Christmas will get a large red,black and white Granny.

It's fun getting a jump start on the Christmas afghans now. I'll do potholders for my "stash" for last-minute or "just because" gifts, too. :idea:

Ivy

Postby Ivy » Sun Jul 28, 2013 12:04 pm

I continue to currently crochet on dgd's afghan, need to finish her hoody sometime soon before she outgrows it, and these 2 projects will keep me out of trouble for awhile.

Nancy

Postby Nancy » Sun Jul 28, 2013 7:42 pm

I've put elastic in the stuff I sewed up last week that needed it plus one other pr. of sweat pants.

I got some plastic bead at a yd. sale and the grands had a blast with that when they were here for a sleep over!

Ivy

Postby Ivy » Tue Jul 30, 2013 11:39 am

I'm working on sleeve #2 for dgd's hoodie. It's not a "perfect" match, but it's only about 1/4" wider in one spot. I think it'll go together nicely, but it's very challenging. :roll: I wanted to finish it by the 3rd. Time will tell.

Ivy

Postby Ivy » Tue Jul 30, 2013 9:24 pm

I'm crocheting dgd a hoodie, but there isn't enough yarn to make the hood and pocket, too. The sleeves, back and front are finished in variegated white, pink, and lavender. I've decided to make a pink front pocket and hood. I'm going to do that SC top-stitching (like on a baseball, only on crochet), down the sleeves and around the bottom hem in pink over the variegated. Then, the pink front pocket and hood will have variegated top-stitching, to tie in with the same theme, so it looks tailor made. The idea popped into my head when I was drowsy and almost asleep. I "see" it in my head, I think it'll be so unique and cute. I didn't have the $$ to buy new yarn. So I'm trying to make do and be frugal using my talent. :idea:

Nancy

Postby Nancy » Wed Jul 31, 2013 1:11 pm

I had dgd cut out a fabric tote kit for me as she had done one already but she cut one accent strip too short I can piece that one and put it on the inside. I used it for a pattern and cut out another one in a fun print.

Dgd in her teens was working on some fun braiding for a project looked like trim but was for a coaches whistle if it's long enough.

Return to “The Creative Home”