Art, Craft and Needlework, July, 2013

A place for Artistry, Crafts and Needlework; Decorating and Holidays.
Harriet

Art, Craft and Needlework, July, 2013

Postby Harriet » Mon Jul 01, 2013 12:19 am

“You can't use up creativity. The more you use, the more you have.”
― Maya Angelou

Have you been creative lately? If so, you're probably on your way to more creativity. Be sure and let us know about it!

Don't miss Elizabeth's photo yesterday, on the last page of June's thread. If we ask her pretty-please, she might repost for us here so we can enjoy it through July! :)

Ivy

Re: Art, Craft and Needlework, July, 2013

Postby Ivy » Tue Jul 02, 2013 1:29 am

I got out a potholder pattern, which I've made for us, for another gal as a gift, and I want to make it for a b-day gift to celebrate the gal's July 26th b-day. I got out P 'n' C yarn, but put it back, so got out other, but decided again, nah... Let's use these two colors instead! :? I put the 2 cones in the tote by my chair. I walk into the kitchen, as DH is pulling BBQ chicken out of the oven and guess what? :?: The EXACT same yarns, the EXACT same pattern, are the EXACT same potholders, which DH uses ALL the time! So my Dfriend will have the same exact colors and patterned potholders as I do, only she's on the East Coast. I thought, how cool! :P
Touch the earth, love the earth, her plains, her valleys, her seas. Rest your soul in her solitary places. ~Henry Beston

Nancy
Location: Washington state in the Pacific Northwestern part of the USA.

Postby Nancy » Tue Jul 02, 2013 1:22 pm

I am about half way knitting up the grey chunky yarn for a scarf.

BookSaver
Administrator

Postby BookSaver » Wed Jul 03, 2013 1:12 am

Sewing group meeting tonight was fun. The presenter was the owner of a fabric shop in a TinyTown half an hour from me. We invite her to present to our group once a year and she always brings good demonstrations. She also brings several bolts of brand new fabric, and tonight she brought some that she had just received yesterday.

I resisted buying fabric tonight because I'm always multitasking at the meetings, and I'll probably go over to her store next week anyway. We're doing a sewing retreat in a couple of weeks and I need to put together a list of supplies for the projects I'll be taking. Of course, first I need to trim down my list of possible projects. ;)

One thing I know I want to try at retreat is a quilt block she demonstrated tonight. She said it was called 10 Minute Block, and it's made from 5 squares measuring whatever size you want, using only 3 seams. I just googled "10 Minute Block" and the first link was to a youtube video by Suzanne McNeill. That is the same block, and I'm glad I found the video because I was sitting in the very back row tonight and couldn't really see anything. Now the geometry makes a lot more sense.

Harriet

Postby Harriet » Wed Jul 03, 2013 10:47 am

BookSaver, I started thinking about that idea in terms of changing it into a border plan that would offer some interest as a finish to an existing quilt top. If you didn't mind having some leftover scrap strips (and I never do, lol), you could cut an inch or two away on opposite sides of each block, then join the remaining rectangles into a border.

Then you could use inner solid border(s) to bring the quilt top up to an easily divisible number, and make the 10-minute blocks so that they finished at that size. Decide on corners (which could also be made of cut-down blocks, if desired) and you're done, with Cathedral Windows shapes all around the edges of the finished quilt top. Oh, :idea: Oh, what if you cut only on one side of each block and staggered the placement of the "windows" along the border, some near the edge, some not - cool.

Speaking of the pre-cut squares, aren't they a wonderful help. I just love scrap quilts. Right now I have UFOs of course, so I need to stop thinking in terms of "starts", though. I could just "start" all the time. :roll:

Btw, I linked above to the last page of last month's thread.

BookSaver
Administrator

Postby BookSaver » Wed Jul 03, 2013 11:07 am

Harriet, dear, remember you're talking to a non-quilter. :) I thought I was doing well last night to understand how the folding and seaming work for this block, and accepting that it uses extra fabric in the interest of saving time. Now you're talking about borders and math and :? :?:
:lol:

Although ... I understand what you say about staggering the Cathedral Window placement. I think that would be interesting in a table runner.

I like that this block can be made from any size starting square, since I will be limiting my quilting projects to wall hangings, table runners, and placemats.

If we get enough fabric donations for our Quilts of Valor community sewing event in September, this would be a quick way to make up a lot of blocks.

There is another youtube video for the same designer's 5 Minute Block. (Suzanne McNeill) She shows how different ways of setting the blocks will create a wide variety of designs that look really complicated but are in fact easy to stitch. Those could also make stunning Quilts of Valor, and they would look unique even if all used the same set of fabrics.

Nancy

Postby Nancy » Wed Jul 03, 2013 11:40 am

Got a few rows knit today.

Ivy

Postby Ivy » Wed Jul 03, 2013 10:59 pm

Will try a crocheted halter on my 6-month dgd tomorrow, to see if it fits. Also, will measure a halter, half-made, to make sure of the correct length. She's got a long torso and short arms and legs. It's the way DH, DD and Dgranddad was built. I'll hold up the pieces so far crocheted to a hoody, to gauge if I should finish it immediately or if the end of August will be a better time, since it's so warm now. It would give me more time, this summer, to get it completed.

I have that potholder project to do, keep procrastinating, because I'm getting sidetracked. Perhaps I can get to them this evening. :idea:
Touch the earth, love the earth, her plains, her valleys, her seas. Rest your soul in her solitary places. ~Henry Beston

Ivy

Postby Ivy » Thu Jul 04, 2013 12:59 pm

My Dfriend doesn't want crocheted kitchen items. Instead, she wants me to give her a list of my quotes, which I sometimes put in emails and letters, which are quotes, blessings, poems and Bible Verses. This will be a fun job! :D

I'll be starting the Christmas afghans soon, have decided to keep it simple and probably go with a large Granny square, a rectangle Granny and a Diagonal Granny, for something different for all 3 of the youngest grandchildren. :idea:

Nancy

Postby Nancy » Fri Jul 05, 2013 9:09 am

It's taken longer to get that ball of yarn knit up but I'm nearly done with it glad I could make some progress yesterday.

Return to “The Creative Home”