Art, Craft and Needlework, August, 2013

A place for Artistry, Crafts and Needlework; Decorating and Holidays.
Ivy

Re: Art, Craft and Needlework, August, 2013

Postby Ivy » Fri Aug 09, 2013 1:28 pm

I finished the variegated white-pink-lavendar hoodie for dgd! Yeah! :D

I found some patterns to make pillowcases to match the two youngest grsons' afghans, for Christmas, on-line. :idea:
I also found some scrap fabric blocks you can put letters on, for dgd for Christmas. :idea:

I found a wall-hanging yo-yo quilt and yo-yo placemats. :idea: Then I found my book on miniature quilting, which might be fun, too. :D

Next step is to finish 3 Granny square (one large granny) for each of the 3 youngest grands. At Christmastime they'll be 11 months, 2 1/2, and 4 3/4. :D

I found out quite accidentally, when DH pulled out another cutting board, which is built-in, but never used since it's so large, there is a 2" high hidden drawer beneath it, for support while cutting or buttering toast. I can crochet kitchen items to put into that hidden drawer, such as cleaning cloths, dishcloths, and extra set of potholders, too. :D
Touch the earth, love the earth, her plains, her valleys, her seas. Rest your soul in her solitary places. ~Henry Beston

Ivy

Postby Ivy » Fri Aug 09, 2013 8:24 pm

:D Aha! :D

I've found some headband patterns and 1 scrunchie pattern in my three crochet calendar patterns, plus found some on-line. :idea: I'll make some new scrunchies and headbands up to adorn my hair. ;) Will work on them tomorrow, after the dgrsons leave while I watch last week's "Cedar Cove" episode rebroadcast on the Hallmark channel. ♥
Touch the earth, love the earth, her plains, her valleys, her seas. Rest your soul in her solitary places. ~Henry Beston

Ivy

Postby Ivy » Sat Aug 10, 2013 12:21 pm

Hallmark didn't re-broadcast last Saturday's Cedar Cove episode, and put in a movie instead. Have music on to crochet scrunchies and headbands to. Made 1 scrunchie in variegated blues and will do variegated white-black-grey next.

I'll try to work on dgd's Christmas afghan, too. :idea:

I found oodles of yo-yo ideas on-line, plus at Pintrest there are several ideas. I loved the toddler dress covered in pink yo-yos.

Happy Crafting, etc... to everybody! :D

Ivy

Postby Ivy » Sat Aug 10, 2013 8:42 pm

I ordered a yo-yo book, used, to = $8 including S/H. :D

I need to think about how or where I'll store my quilting material for yo-yo'ing. I have the scraps, washed, and in 2 bins right now. My idea :idea: is after the last of the grsons go home Aug. 24, to get out my scraps in my bunny room, smell them, to make sure they're still fresh, and to press them. Then, I shall sort them by calico v.s. plaids v.s. stripes, etc.. and by color, too. Also, I have some clear bins, which are shorter, and craft dresser clear drawers, where I can also store my flat, pressed, fresh scraps. These are Grandma's scraps, I loved her very much, she didn't know me in later years, was confused, so her scraps mean the world to me. She'd be delighted to know they're being used by someone, especially me, her first-born granddaughter. ♥ I'm excited to get the book, when it comes in 1 - 3 days, I was told, but that probably means being shipped out on Monday by the used book dealer. :idea:

We're due for T-storms soon, so I think I'll crochet and write on a letter during our light show. :lol: On TV they said the lightning last night was just like fireworks here! :!: :shock: Grson-16.5 watched a couple dozen strikes through our tall transom window. He was on the sofa looking out that round window. I slept through it, but woke on the last clap of thunder, jumped out of bed and said, "Do you think the train's gonna hit the house?" :lol: Too many train mishaps in the news of late, I suppose. :?:

Happy Crafting to you all this weekend! :D

Ivy

Postby Ivy » Sun Aug 11, 2013 9:22 pm

I've located my scraps in 2 bins, then some fabric remnants in another one with a pink elephant stamped sewing pillow craft to make for dgd for Christmas. Her nursery is "jungle" with brown monkeys, etc.. So the pink elephant pillow will match her purple-lavender-pink afghan just fine. :idea: ;)

When I located the scraps, the other bin, which is huge, solid royal blue, is full of yarn, and there are others full of yarns, too. :roll: :!: :oops: :shock: I've decided to do what a dfriend's doing. She's been working from age 18 - 67 or older and she's retiring. She's going to downsize her apt. into a small studio apt., which is cheaper. She, too, crochets. She's crocheting one huge Granny square afghan from her "stash" of yarn, to get rid of her surplus before she moves. If she can do that, at her age, well so can I at my age: 61.5! I'm looking forward to getting Granny square afghans for lap robes and afghans. I might make a lap robe for my elderly dfriend, too, and I also have another elderly dfriend across the street, who could use one, too. She's not doing so hot. I'm very fortunate to have these 2 people in my life, so I can bless them with my crochet at Christmas.

Also, I found a red and white crocheted P 'n' C snowflake potholder, only needed a mate, so I went straight to a file today, and there was the pattern on the first search! How's that for coincidental? :lol: I also found another potholder pattern, which I decided last night to look for, which was with the snowflake one! :D

BookSaver
Administrator

Postby BookSaver » Mon Aug 12, 2013 8:54 pm

I've been searching the net for a photo that looks anything like the easy Tshirt cardigan I learned to make last week. No luck. This is the one that comes closest -- sorry for the link to a commercial site!

http://www1.macys.com/shop/product/elle ... ?ID=782520

Try to picture just the cardigan with short sleeves.

I learned how to make it by starting with 2 matching Tshirts. The first is used almost whole -- just cut off the collar, split the front, and shape the neckline to a nice curve. The body of the 2nd Tshirt is used for the fabric to make the long draped collar that ends in a pointed front.

Well I finally found a youtube that is similar but the front he cuts is square instead of the more flattering drape. Ignore the bit about adding pockets.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yf86ytj_ou4

I sewed mine from 2 purple Tshirts I found in the men's department at WM. I'll probably end up making a long-sleeve version when the weather turns colder.

Nancy
Location: Washington state in the Pacific Northwestern part of the USA.

Postby Nancy » Wed Aug 14, 2013 9:06 pm

Thinking of you all as I head back to the sewing room to do some mending. Got a top completed this afternoon. Yea!

Ivy

Postby Ivy » Thu Aug 15, 2013 12:44 am

My yo-yos pattern leaflet came today, filled with oodles of patterns, it was $8, but didn't get charged S/H, which is nice. :D I like some of the projects, will do "my own thing" between free internet patterns, Pintrest ideas and my pattern leaflet. :idea:

I'll wait until the dgrsons leave the 24th, before I get "into" my yo-yo scraps material. :idea:

I have 3 single Granny square afghans for toddlers to get done by Christmas, one's started and about 18" square at this point. :) It's fun to see it come together, get larger and nice to see the colors blend in together, too.

After the Granny afghans are done, I'll decide if I want to do potholders for a few gifts or not. Might not. Am burnt out, as I've been doing kitchen items crocheted for Christmas for over 15 years or more, now. :oops: :o Might do something different. Was thinking of a single Granny lap robe for 2 elderly ladies for Christmas, from my "stash" would be good. :idea:

Nancy
Location: Washington state in the Pacific Northwestern part of the USA.

Postby Nancy » Thu Aug 15, 2013 4:27 pm

One more pr. cotton pants hemmed, twisted elastic no longer twisted after a repair on my new capris :roll: laundry is going.

Harriet

Postby Harriet » Thu Aug 15, 2013 11:25 pm

Have been making fondant blossoms for the cupcake project.

fondant flowers in progress.JPG

Here's part of the process with the formed petals cupped into shape in gummy ring candies to set.

fondant flowers in containers.JPG

Here are the finished blossoms after they've dried and been paint-brushed with "petal dust" for colors. They've had the anthers (yellow blossom centers) added in the center, glued with corn syrup. They're ready to have the covers put on the airtight containers and wait until the weekend. (Yes, I know one is a Swiffer container. Have recommended them for years, haven't I? It gives ridges for the cupped flowers to lie in, so works great for this.)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Return to “The Creative Home”