Art, Craft and Needlework, September, 2013

A place for Artistry, Crafts and Needlework; Decorating and Holidays.
Harriet

Art, Craft and Needlework, September, 2013

Postby Harriet » Sun Sep 01, 2013 10:51 am

September brings us closer to some gift-giving times and, for those of us in North America, closer to the cooler temps that make indoor arts even more inviting. Check the beginning of last month's thread to remind yourself of decision-making tips for UFOs.

What is the creativity that excites you in September? :D Do you have a plan for using September time to increase your gift closet?

Have you had recent compliments, moments to give a hand made gift, moments to use your own creativity or appreciate it? We're so interested!

BookSaver
Administrator

Re: Art, Craft and Needlework, September, 2013

Postby BookSaver » Sun Sep 01, 2013 11:25 am

September is National Sewing Month. I remember last year I set a goal to do a little something sewing-related each day in September, and I enjoyed that very much. I think I'll repeat that goal for this year's celebration.

Today's sewing fun will be to bring my machine and box of current projects in from the trunk of my car. They've been in the trunk since a sewing play date a few weeks ago. I kept hoping that I'd be able to go sew with those friends again on Tuesdays, but it didn't work out and I know I won't make it this Tuesday either.

I'll try to clear enough space in the front room to be able to set up my machine to finish the pants that just need to be hemmed. It will be much easier to do the work now that the weather has cooled a little bit.

Ivy

Postby Ivy » Tue Sep 03, 2013 9:28 pm

:D I crocheted on dgd's afghan today. Last night, I made DH a 43rd Wedding Anniversary card using a very small snap shot of our wedding day and used a paper doily cut in half, a heart, and made it collage. I did "43" in Italic calligraphy, too. I wrote a personal message in the inside of the card, meant for us, too. I couldn't wait until Thurs. and I was excited, so I gave it to him last night. ;) ♥ ♥ :)
Touch the earth, love the earth, her plains, her valleys, her seas. Rest your soul in her solitary places. ~Henry Beston

Elizabeth

Postby Elizabeth » Thu Sep 05, 2013 12:42 pm

Here are the latest items I have finished:
BabyGoldenDragon.jpg
ScreenShot001.jpg

The first is DD11's Baby Golden Dragon, the second is a sweater I made for myself. The dragon and the yellow jacket shown previously are going to be taken to the NM State Fair this Friday.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Harriet

Postby Harriet » Thu Sep 05, 2013 4:01 pm

Oh, Elizabeth, again, you are certainly a lovely model for your clothing! I think the colors in the sweater are great. I like the sleeves, almost a bell sleeve. The dragon is a charmer!

When you win the ribbons at the fair, remember to get a photo of that, too, if you can! I only used to enter at the county level, not state (wow, impressed with you!) but I did love looking at the ribbons put on my quilts in their displays. But that was back in the day when no one had phones with them much, and few had cameras they carried except on vacations. So no one ever thought to get a photo of any of my entries with ribbon on - no. A shame, too, because my aunts were regularly going to the fair and they might have gotten in the photos - you think of these things too late.

Nowadays, we have no county fair at all, and have to travel to the next country to enter against those folks, which makes me feel a little sad.

sherinjoy

Postby sherinjoy » Thu Sep 05, 2013 5:02 pm

Wow - Elizabeth - beautiful work by you and your daughter. I hope you win a ribbon at the fair. Thanks for sharing your pictures.

Sunny

Postby Sunny » Thu Sep 05, 2013 8:27 pm

Elizabeth, thanks for sharing your photos. Your work is very well done and surely worth Blue Ribbons! Good luck at the fair!
Start by doing what's necessary, then what's possible, and suddenly you are doing the impossible. --- Francis of Assisi

Ivy

Postby Ivy » Thu Sep 05, 2013 11:22 pm

:D :!: :P Elizabeth! What wonderful work! I love the sweater, too! The colors are beautiful and the style is very attractive on, too. It's very flattering, you are so thoughtful to post to share your great ideas. Thank you so much! :D
Touch the earth, love the earth, her plains, her valleys, her seas. Rest your soul in her solitary places. ~Henry Beston

Ivy

Postby Ivy » Sat Sep 07, 2013 2:12 am

My dfriend, in FL, makes square Granny square afghans where the Granny's in the center and she does rounds around and around to make it larger. Today, I got a letter from her. She said she makes baby afghans 40 rows large and adult sizes 60 rows around.

Baby Megan is going to be 11.5 months, at Christmastime, so I'm considering doing hers between 42-44 rounds. I'll play it by ear. The 2.5 dgrson will require (I guess :?: ) about 46 rounds and 4.75 year old grson should probably be 48 rounds. Yes, :idea: I can play it by ear, and also judge where and how the pattern colors are playing out, too. All I know is that I'm not going to add a scallop trim to MY BOYS' afghans, because that's too girlie to me. :lol: I think that a plain HDC or picot edging would be nice or backwards SC. The DGD WILL have scalloped edging because she's so sweet, cuddly, feminine and oh, the scallops are perfect for her! :D When she cries for someone to pick her up, she has 2 parents and 6 brothers, so she gets picked up. Is this spoiling her? But she's so gosh darned cute. I don't think anyone can resist her. ;)

Ivy

Postby Ivy » Wed Sep 18, 2013 9:37 pm

:D Hello! I just crocheted this poster in a mint green, which is under mint green pump hand soap in the bathroom with other green things, including 3 green stripes on 1 towel, hand towel and washcloth. The green and white in the main/guest bathroom is refreshing, uplifting and clean-looking. However, when the 4 grandsons visited from July 4 - Aug.4, I moved this decor to the powder room, because you know how boys are with white. :lol: :roll: So they got blues/navy/royal blue light-houses and sailboats decor this summer. ;) Here's my mint coast photo:

http://www.marloscrochetcorner.com/cdcoaster.html

It's great for a hot pad, under a candle or pump soap or hand sanitizer. I've made them in solid colors and variegated. They make great gifts, too, like 2 cd coasters for a couple for their coffee in the a.m. :idea:

Another coaster, which is HDC square, edged, I'm making/have made for the bathroom under pump soaps, sanitizer, the covered plastic container holding my night guard as it soaks daily, and under DH's denture cup. I'm making it all variegated, although I've made them with CC edging, too. Here it is:

http://jahodnett.tripod.com/id15.html She has several nice things there at her site. :idea:

I'm making a "Simple Scrubber" and the URL is:

http://christinassunshinehaven.com/kitchen/simple_scrubber_pattern.htm

I'm making mine in navy, but I have several other colors for gifts or "just because" gifts. :idea:

Also, for my hair, for ponytails, when I don't use a fabric or crocheted hair scrunchie, I sometimes use these "Worms" because they're cute and fun-looking. They make me feel like a little girl again. ;) :lol: Here's the URL:

Hopefully this is the worms pattern! - Harriet (smile)

The last 2 links I've listed do not have the letter "L" at the end of the "htm" and I don't know why. :?: :o So if these links don't work, in case my paper just didn't happen to print up the L at the end of htm you can add the L to see if that'll get you to the link. Anyway, these are a few quick pick-up projects I'm doing in my spare time. :D I tried the Worms link and it was broken.

You can get a Worms pattern by going to

Hopefully this is "Crochet Pattern Central dot com" - Harriet (smile) And look under Hair Accessories. Sorry that link didn't work out. My apologies. :oops:

Return to “The Creative Home”