****Holiday Planning, 2013****

A place for Artistry, Crafts and Needlework; Decorating and Holidays.
Harriet

Re: ****Holiday Planning, 2013****

Postby Harriet » Mon Jan 13, 2014 11:10 am

((Nancy))

I'm no help with figuring out why you and I seem to be doing all the work (smile). That definitely is the same with me, and 3 times the usual dishes. But would recommend SOMETIMES a menu of paper-plate-friendly things. Between T-day and more than one group of Christmas gatherers at my house, I am ready to insist on paper plates for something!

about family disappointing us - my ds told me he'd be good with a get-together schedule of suppertime, then after dstepson's family had gotten that all worked out with their schedule, ds changed :o to needing to come for lunch, when dstepson and dstepdil couldn't. I really had to bite my tongue - useless to get upset since he was saying it was work-related and he couldn't help it, but it caused extra trouble. Why couldn't he have tried harder to make certain of his schedule in advance. Also dstepgd and ds' little boy 2 years old missed their chance to see each other and bond with each other. They have barely had any time together at all, and hardly remember each other.

I'm not sure the family understands that what's important to me is that we ALL see EACH OTHER for once, not just happening to run into each other if we're lucky. I'd like to get photos of all the children together, not leaving someone out, etc. Would rather have that than the finest gift.

Maybe you could keep dgs's attention by only turning on music, not a tv show that day. Or one of those fireplace scenes on the tv instead.

Wonderful that you had scripture before presents.

Nancy
Location: Washington state in the Pacific Northwestern part of the USA.

Postby Nancy » Mon Jan 13, 2014 11:59 am

Thanks Harriet.

Dds / mil or fil changed their gathering plans so ours got changed. Remaing flexible is more of a challenge some yrs. Than others.

We did get together as a fam. But it was at a cafe' we did not get photos.

H. Did not remember to invite his bro. Sigh ...we did not get the leaf in the tabke either tried to do buffet style unsuccessfully.

Did better w/ cards and bday stuff in Jan. This year.

Dishes do not bug me it was the before meal stuff. Dd had to work on Christmas Eve too. Dd not miss the huge church crowd, or the NYE party. H. Had to work thst day as well.

I guess the q. I need to ask is what bugs me the most in all this and why. Maybe it is some ine elses turn to cook next yr.

The fav. family eatery buffet go to place closed and there us not a good replacement one for us here that is a factor. Just sayin'.

Nancy

Postby Nancy » Thu Jan 16, 2014 6:33 pm

Looking ahead found happy Hanakha cards for 10 cents a box got 2 boxes I am good for a few years now.

Looked up the date for Hanakha and around Dec. 16 this year so it will not be the conflict with turkey day like last yr.

Harriet

Postby Harriet » Fri Jan 17, 2014 11:16 am

I saved out all my handmade patchwork ornaments from being put away with others this year. I have them in baggies for protection and hope that if I get a chance at small sewing projects, these will be quick reminders of how I've made some in the past. If I don't have them to look at, it's like starting with square one to remember how. Ddil specifically told me the log cabin quilt block homemade ornament I gave her is her favorite but I've never made her any more. The problem is making one for one child means I simply must make 4 at a time. Couldn't possibly leave a child out.

If I was smart, I'd make a half-dozen exactly the same, assembly-line style. I'm forever doing partial jobs! :)

Nancy, what bugs me is that both before and after the meal, I'm the one left out of conversation, etc. because I'm the one in the kitchen while others are seated on couch and chairs, or meeting someone at the door, etc. I understand that they have to keep the children entertained and also keep the children out of the kitchen, but I feel unappreciated and left out.

Thinking that I continue to be grateful that ds28 does such a good job saying grace, having inherited his father's strong voice and "nerve" to speak up and just say what he means. But I need to speak to others (in advance) and encourage them. If a young person (my own two dds, my dsonil, my dstepson, for instance) doesn't get used to asking the blessing for a large group when it's their own family, when will they get used to it. Something wise to learn, and meaningful. Also a little embarrassing to go through the "list" of others suggesting they say grace this time, and have so many turn-downs. It takes away from the moment.

Want to make a copy of the photo of the 4 boys around the tree and have it out in a frame through the year.

Nancy

Postby Nancy » Fri Jan 17, 2014 12:13 pm

Harriet I am thinking of a question to put on a card to focus on for the hoildays this year some thing like "How can I make this a more enjoyable Christmas? "

I am trying to om focus on the parts that worked out like we did get a family gathering after all in early Jan.

Plus the fact flu season hits and has effects this in diff. Ways some years more than others that we are in a new season and each yr. Is different so various things are out of, y control. Big Sigh! And then there is the weather. . . .

I love it that you are sewing that reminds me I have at least one sewing project to do.

Return to “The Creative Home”