****Holiday Planning, 2013****

A place for Artistry, Crafts and Needlework; Decorating and Holidays.
Ivy

Re: ****Holiday Planning, 2013****

Postby Ivy » Thu Sep 26, 2013 11:02 pm

I had to put dgd's Christmas afghan away after getting onto row 34 because my right shoulder hurt to crochet it anymore. I need 40-42 rows, so I'm in the ballpark! :D
Touch the earth, love the earth, her plains, her valleys, her seas. Rest your soul in her solitary places. ~Henry Beston

Nancy
Location: Washington state in the Pacific Northwestern part of the USA.

Postby Nancy » Fri Sep 27, 2013 10:37 am

This week I have been working on a crochet skirt and poncho for dgd.

Nancy

Postby Nancy » Thu Oct 03, 2013 11:34 am

Today I am grateful that I have added more cookies for fall treats.
Last edited by Nancy on Thu Oct 10, 2013 10:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ivy

Postby Ivy » Mon Oct 07, 2013 10:28 pm

I only have 4 - 5 rows to do until I've completed dgd's Christmas afghan.

Now I'm down to 4 rows to go. The pattern is:

5 rows pink
1 row dark purple
3 rows lavender
1 row dark purple
5 rows pink
1 row dark purple

The ending rounds will be 5 rows pink with the last edging row in dark purple scalloped around. :D The colors are so beautiful together. :!:
Touch the earth, love the earth, her plains, her valleys, her seas. Rest your soul in her solitary places. ~Henry Beston

Ivy

Postby Ivy » Thu Oct 10, 2013 8:59 pm

:?: :?: :?: I'm confused about something! :? :oops: I've made my neighbor-friend, who is a casual friend, but we "click" when we're together. DH gets firewood with her DH and they are best friends. My neighbor-friend and I exchange Christmas and birthday gifts.

I've made her 2 pairs of potholders, 1 - 2 hanging dishtowels, some dishcloths, a pair of CD hot pads/coasters, and now I'm wondering what to do? :roll: :?: I've made her an off-white scarf, a cowl with matching hat, too. The colors in her kitchen are grey, black, and white, so ALL the kitchen colors I've used are grey, black and white.

I was thinking about doing something different this year. :idea: It is to take red, white and a Christmas variegated color, to make her some pretty decorative "flower-type" round potholders. I think she could use them for Christmas and Valentine's Day, if I use the candy cane red/white variegated colors. It wouldn't match her kitchen colors, but I've already done "overkill" on her kitchen colors. I feel like adding some "pizazz" this year and perhaps throw in 2 dishcloths to match. I have the yarns all together, the pattern, too, so when I'm done with dgd's afghan, I'll do my n-friend's kitchen potholders. :D Thanks for "listening" to me try to make up my mind. ;)

Harriet

Postby Harriet » Thu Oct 10, 2013 10:33 pm

I've always liked flower design potholders. Sounds like a fun idea. If you only had time for the potholder, it would still be a very nice gift.

What kind of cookies are you putting by, Nancy?

I finally got by the print shop to talk to the man about our Christmas cards. He says he's done many custom greeting cards for himself, using his own family's art. So he says I can send him the digital of dd's watercolor by email and he'll see what he could do. He tried to talk me out of textured paper because he's concerned the artwork won't be as clearly printed. I really don't want a glossy card, though. Maybe we can meet in the middle.

In other news, he won't laminate pressed flowers on his thermal machine, and his reasons make me think I shouldn't trust any print shop with them. So I'll be experimenting with home lamination soon, if I expect bookmarks to be Christmas presents. Reminds me that if I want mini photos of the school as part of bookmarks I should get busy on that.

HRH surprised me by saying he still wants to try a family Thanksgiving dinner this year. Sigh. I thought we were over trying to compete with the children's in-laws on Thanksgiving, trying to find a time they can come here. Their in-laws all had traditional feasts well in place before our children married, while we were always flexible, and we "flexibled" our way out of having a time to do it! In recent years it has seemed silly to me to press all the children into double or triple traditional meals. It's virtually hopeless with dd33, who has to drive so far to get here. If we have it too early, we look like we're trying to "get ahead" of others, and if we have it late, everyone's sick of most traditional foods.

Nancy

Postby Nancy » Thu Oct 10, 2013 11:03 pm

Harriet I bought cookies ranger cookies,
Ch. Chip, molasses cookies and oatmeal.

I have cookie dough peanut butter, some to add ch. Chips to and other for cut out rolled cookies, and chocolate to add white or butter scotch chips or m & m cookies.

We have some sweet breads in the freezer
Pumpkin, applesauce, zuchini, and a couple others that I have forgotten, we did not label them oops! :oops:

This week we have learned how to make hand pies. That was exciting.
Last edited by Nancy on Fri Oct 11, 2013 9:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

Ivy

Postby Ivy » Fri Oct 11, 2013 12:13 am

I found a cotton peaches 'n' cream red and white "Linda's Snowflake Potholder," which I'd made 1 a year or 2 ago, but didn't finish the mate. :oops: I'll finish the mate to it and give those to her. :idea:

And while I have the pattern out, in my spare :lol: :lol: :lol: time, I'll try to make a few more, for some pals, neighbors, etc.... :idea:

I found a cute stuffed bunny head with ears, with a small blanket hanging off it with knotted hands, at http://www.lionbrandyarns.com I'm planning on making a pink one to match dgd's afghan.

I found some puppet patterns, but they're for about an age 5 - 7 kid, so the pattern calls for a "G" size hook, and I thought :idea: if I used an "E" hook, it'll fit the 2 3/4 and 5 10/12 grandsons' hands better. They're at Red Heart's site. One's a pink pig, a cow and a cat. I might only make 2 cats in different striped colors. I don't care for the cow and since the pig's pink, they're boys, the parents may have a problem with boys playing with PINK. :lol: :roll: :!:

Ivy

Postby Ivy » Sun Oct 13, 2013 8:35 pm

I'm putting the dark purple scalloped edging on dgd's Christmas afghan now. :D It's sure pretty.

I found a simple-to-make puppet pattern at a different site, but will use ears, etc.. from the Red Heart pattern to decorate them with, since the RH pattern's too small for the little boys' hands. :idea:

Now I need to look through my stash to see if I've got some gold or yellow yarn to blend in with red, white, and black for another afghan. :idea:

Nancy

Postby Nancy » Sun Oct 13, 2013 9:08 pm

One of the breads I made will go with h. To work they have a big pour day in the a.m.

Return to “The Creative Home”