Art, Craft and Needlework, October 2013

A place for Artistry, Crafts and Needlework; Decorating and Holidays.
Harriet

Re: Art, Craft and Needlework, October 2013

Postby Harriet » Mon Oct 07, 2013 10:48 pm

hot pads - think thickness, thickness, thickness! What will you use for the hotpad "stuffing", BookSaver?

A sports bra as a class project? That sounds tough.

BookSaver
Administrator

Postby BookSaver » Tue Oct 08, 2013 12:40 am

The sports bra was a 4-hour hands-on class. The instructor had requested everyone to send her our sizes and she pre-cut the fabric and elastic pieces before class. That was a major time saver.

If I had had my own machine, I probably could have finished the bra in the time because the instructor gave excellent instructions. Using someone else's machine, especially a new one from a dealer, makes me more tentative and even slower than usual because I have to figure out how to thread it, wind the bobbin, find the stitches, etc. (For some reason, they never have a manual with the machine.) I know how far I can push my own machine, but I'm always afraid of breaking someone else's.

For the hot pads I have a package of Insul-Bright by The Warm Company. "Reflects Heat or Cold Back to the Source -- Ideal for: pot holders, table pads, oven mitts ..." Actually, I just saw that there's a pattern for an oven mitt right on the back of the package. I bought the package to use for a large insulated lunch bag. There's plenty left for several hot pads.

The "jacket" is the Circle Jacket from Saf-T-Pockets Patterns. Not really a jacket, more of a circular shawl with just enough stitching for the arms to help keep it from sliding off. Another one of those garments that I don't know if I'll ever wear in public, but it looks cozy for sitting at the computer.

Twins' Mom

Postby Twins' Mom » Tue Oct 08, 2013 8:33 am

I continued upstairs with unpacking my stamping things - I think I have all the stamp sets unpacked now and on the bookcase. I need to have dh or a handy-person put up the wall racks for the individual stamp pads and the wall rack (not so pretty) that I use for ribbon and such. I'm torn between making this area "pretty" versus utilitarian.
Be at war with your vices, at peace with your neighbors, and let every new year find you a better [wo]man. Ben Franklin

Nancy
Location: Washington state in the Pacific Northwestern part of the USA.

Postby Nancy » Tue Oct 08, 2013 10:26 am

Cool I have been thinking about getting a sports bra.
I finished knitting a seafoam green lap robe. Trying to decide what color to do the shell edge in.

Ivy

Postby Ivy » Thu Oct 10, 2013 12:31 pm

I'm thinking about making some kitchen items for Christmas, but do I have the time? :?:
Touch the earth, love the earth, her plains, her valleys, her seas. Rest your soul in her solitary places. ~Henry Beston

Harriet

Postby Harriet » Thu Oct 10, 2013 8:13 pm

What a wonderful instructor, to cut those out for each participant, BookSaver!

Ivy, maybe just pare your expectations down a little and don't try too many. But a few should be fine.

Twins' Mom, you will feel so organized when your wall space is the way you want it. Organized IS pretty.

Nancy, which edging color did you choose?

I have had a Revoltin' Development, as Jimmy Durante used to say. The man at the copy shop doesn't feel comfortable laminating pressed-flower bookmarks in his equipment! He fears that the thickness will vary too much, and the machine will make a mess of things. Sigh. He doesn't think he can control the entry into the machine well enough, and doesn't want to be responsible when some petal or other element is not held well enough by glue and slips away. So I guess I am back to looking into hand-doing this. On the other hand, he does want to make a stab at creating a greeting card out of dd's winning art entry from last year. We'll see.

Nancy
Location: Washington state in the Pacific Northwestern part of the USA.

Postby Nancy » Fri Oct 11, 2013 10:08 am

I did a plain stich followed by a shell stitch
In cream on the seafoam green lap robe. I need to take a pic. ( To put on fb. Of it. )

Deep purple may get the same edging treatment I am not sure yet it is too soon to tell.

Harriet

Postby Harriet » Sat Oct 12, 2013 7:39 pm

Something I've never seen before
Another interesting use of large rick-rack trim, if anyone has time to view the close-up photo. I've never seen anything like it.

You'll need to scroll down for the series of photos. I updated the link so you can still see them all.

Sorry, I didn't see these photos until the auction in which they are pictured is almost over. If you can't view it, there are 3 rows of rick-rack at the hem of an apron on a fabric of large gingham check. Along 3 seams parallel to the hem (which may just be tucks), every-other peak of the rick-rack is caught, so that those disappear into the seam. This gives a completely different look, as though it is a different type of trim. The remaining peaks each have a constrasting french knot embroidered in the center. I don't think you would need the french knot to get this look, but it's pretty. I don't think the fabric would have to be gingham, but it does given an exact line for the seam.

BookSaver
Administrator

Postby BookSaver » Mon Oct 14, 2013 12:50 am

Some of the stuff that happened at the 4-day sewing retreat:

* Completed 7 small tote bags for the organization that requested them for preschool age kids.

* Completed the Tshirt cardigan that I used as teaching sample #1. I don't particularly like it, but it's completed. While finishing it, gave another demonstration for doing it to the people who had missed that meeting.

* Cut out and sewed 1 hot pad, trying out a new pattern. It's ok and functional, but I don't like it enough to make more of the same design. Saved my pretty cotton prints for a better one.

* Converted 3 Tshirts into tote bags. Ended up using 1 right away for a laundry bag to bring home my dirty clothes.

* Sewed a little bit on a blouse but realized that I was doing it wrong, so had to un-sew it. Set it aside. Ran out of time and did not even take the sports bra or jacket out of the projects bin. :(

* Cut a bunch of 2 1/2 inch strips from fabrics in patriotic colors for our upcoming Quilts of Valor sew-in.

* 1 of the attendees showed me how to do an easy quilt block using strips. I'll put the link to the online tutorial in the next post.

* Conversed for 4 days straight about sewing, social and political problems both local and world-wide (diverted that topic as soon as I could), gadgets, families, recipes, patterns, tips, fabric and where to buy it, the benefits of coffee, differences in techniques between sewing clothes and sewing quilts, shared stories of past sewing events, and many other topics. :)

BookSaver
Administrator

Postby BookSaver » Mon Oct 14, 2013 12:54 am

This looks like an easy quilt block using 2 1/2 inch strips. A friend at the sewing retreat showed me how to do it.

Amazing Jelly Roll Quilt Pattern by 3 Dudes Quilting
http://quiltingtutorials.com/all/amazin ... n-3-dudes/

(Sorry, I could not find the original pattern on the 3 Dudes site.)

My friend's tip/variation: Instead of sewing the sets of strips together as long pieces the width of the fabric, she cuts them down so they are 2 1/2 inches by 8 1/2 inches. She said although it seems easier to sew the longer strips, it is much harder to press them without having them stretch out of square. She also thinks it is a good way to use up smaller pieces of fabrics left over from other projects. My friend is a smart woman.

Return to “The Creative Home”