Art, Craft and Needlework, October 2013

A place for Artistry, Crafts and Needlework; Decorating and Holidays.
Harriet

Re: Art, Craft and Needlework, October 2013

Postby Harriet » Wed Oct 16, 2013 6:42 pm

I enjoyed watching the video, BookSaver. That would be a good one for Quilts of Valor sew-ins. Fun to watch it emerge from inside-out beginnings.

Dd and I were off to the fabric store today when I picked her up from school. She is very used to that place, and in fact knows it rather well, especially the cottons and quilting aisles of course, plus the jewelry making aisle she likes. But today, I had her own sewing skills on my mind, and had jotted down some pattern numbers from the internet. We chose New Look patterns, so none cost more than $3.90, and chose "easy".

This is the one she thinks she'd like to try first. From this one she can learn zipper insertion, single- and double-pointed darts, and either sleeve facings or set-in sleeves, depending on the style she'd like. We bought a poly fabric that gives the impression of a wool plaid in violet. So that will work for winter without being heavy. I also got a princess-seamed pattern, because I remember my amazement when I first made a princess-seamed dress and saw how nicely it could fit without much work (back when I was shaped like manufacturers expected). I think it has a lot of possibilities.

Ivy

Postby Ivy » Fri Oct 18, 2013 11:21 pm

Harriet, When I was in home ec and also from my dmom, I learned that Princess seams on dresses and jumpers were attractive on women/girls/teens because of the vertical line it made and it made the dress/jumper so pretty and made the woman's figure look better, too. They weren't too hard to sew either. :D
Touch the earth, love the earth, her plains, her valleys, her seas. Rest your soul in her solitary places. ~Henry Beston

Nancy
Location: Washington state in the Pacific Northwestern part of the USA.

Postby Nancy » Sat Oct 19, 2013 11:14 am

Started a crochet afghan had to rip it back to the beginning ack a learning curve with this project is not fun but I need to remember that is part of why I do this.
Atempting to do a broom stick stitch afghan, I have done it in a smaller piece.

Twins' Mom

Postby Twins' Mom » Sat Oct 19, 2013 12:57 pm

Pretty dresses, Harriet! Nice and straightforward.

Dd wants to go to crafty store today and wants supplies for some kind of no sew purse. She insists that I did teach her how to sew, lol. Yes, she can sew a seam by hand and maybe by machine but I suspect that is it.

I did a crafty thing yesterday - after seeing that the white plastic porch pumpkin looked out of place and faded among the orange pumpkins and flowers, I used some black and white washi tape to outline the sections similar to this: http://www.pinterest.com/pin/225039312603853301/ and it looks so cute and "holds its own" now. My washi tape was a pair of black and white - black with white dots and black and white pinstripes - I think it was from MIchaels and was Martha Stewart, and was on sale last week. (They also had the same in orange and white, which would be equally cute for a pumpkin.)
Be at war with your vices, at peace with your neighbors, and let every new year find you a better [wo]man. Ben Franklin

BookSaver
Administrator

Postby BookSaver » Mon Oct 21, 2013 9:46 am

This morning I get to go pick up the new-to-me sewing machine which I am buying from a friend in my sewing group.

I am very excited about learning all that this machine can do. It is about a year old, as opposed to my old reliable machine which is about 25.

My old machine is a mechanical. The new one is computerized which gives it a certain amount of automation in matching fabric to tension for balanced stitching, as well many more styles of decorative stitches.

The new machine will make it easier for me to start exploring techniques for quilted table runners and wall hangings.

It is also, in general, just plain faster to run. Pushing 1 button will result in a set-up that takes moving multiple dials on the older machine.

I still love the older machine so I will be keeping it to take to sewing retreats. I'm hoping to be able to leave the new machine set up and ready to go any time I have a few minutes to sew.

Harriet

Postby Harriet » Mon Oct 21, 2013 12:07 pm

BookSaver, happy new sewing machine day! Remember to keep anything magnetized away from the computerized part just in case. May you have many happy sewing hours with the new machine.

Twins' Mom, you probably gave your dd plenty of confidence in many things, and if she decides she can sew something she'll probably be able to do it! Was the trip to the store productive? The mother who was giving the party Saturday was having me put fruit and treats into glassware and ran out before she found anything to hold utensils. So she brought out some cheap but clear plasticware. She had some of that black-and-white Washi tape you used on the pumpkin (hers was black with white polka dots), and I put it around them a few inches from the base. These worked well as instant "matching" utensil holders and went perfectly with all her "black tie" themed table things.

Twins' Mom

Postby Twins' Mom » Mon Oct 21, 2013 2:00 pm

Harriet, dd was doing a "no sew" purse out of a pillowcase. I wasn't that impressed with it (I wouldn't carry it) but it's her project!

Yes, the washi tape is cute on so many things. I like color coordinating utensil holders! Will have to remember!
Be at war with your vices, at peace with your neighbors, and let every new year find you a better [wo]man. Ben Franklin

Nancy

Postby Nancy » Mon Oct 21, 2013 6:40 pm

I am rolling along well with the rainbow afghan now yea for some fun yarn colors to go on this one.

Nancy

Postby Nancy » Tue Oct 22, 2013 1:01 pm

I have fixed a stuffed toy for dgd today.

I am trying to do at least one color or row on the rainbow afghan.

BookSaver
Administrator

Postby BookSaver » Sun Oct 27, 2013 9:24 am

The sew-in for Quilts of Valor yesterday was fun.

We didn't quite finish 2 quilt tops -- I think because there were too many patterns going, instead of focusing on just 2. I had turned over control of the day to other people, though, so ... not my problem. ;)

We sewed enough quilt blocks to be more than halfway on 4 tops, and different people took home the 2 that were closest to being finished. I think there is enough interest in the group to continue sewing for Quilts of Valor, and maybe set up some more days to sew together over the winter.

I ended up sewing a lot after all. I had planned to cut and press all day, but a couple of other people wanted to do that. Someone had brought 2 extra machines and she let me use one since I had not brought mine.

The pattern for which I posted the video earlier in this thread turned out to be fun. I tried it once yesterday just to be sure I understood it. I had only planned on doing the 1 and then I was going to switch over to another block the group was doing. However, 1 of the organizers saw the block and realized that it coordinated with another one they were already making. It was a happy accident. I kept making the same block, and a few others ended up trying it, too.

So, from a non-quilter, that's a recommendation. The block is simple to sew, but it looks complicated when it's finished, which makes the person sewing it look more accomplished. :)

Sorry you had to rip out your crochet afghan, Nancy.

Harriet ~ I've used the New Look 6567 princess seam pattern many times in lots of different fabrics, both for myself and when I used to do costumes. I like that it has all those neckline shapes included. It's a style that looks good on everyone. You know, I should find my copy of that pattern and use it to make some new dresses since my favorite go-to Little Black Dress is showing its age.

Return to “The Creative Home”