Art, Craft and Needlework, October 2013

A place for Artistry, Crafts and Needlework; Decorating and Holidays.
Nancy
Location: Washington state in the Pacific Northwestern part of the USA.

Re: Art, Craft and Needlework, October 2013

Postby Nancy » Sun Oct 27, 2013 11:09 am

I took home ec. Too but the teqcher did not sew that much I learned some techniques from mom who took a sewing class and showed the teacher...
Last edited by Nancy on Tue Oct 29, 2013 1:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Harriet

Postby Harriet » Sun Oct 27, 2013 8:43 pm

BookSaver, that's still pretty impressive to get so far along on tops. How will you get them quilted and bound? I've found that even by machine, very simply, the quilting and binding are approximately 2/3 of the sewing hours involved in making a quilt. Not my favorite piece of knowledge, but it's proved true many times for me. I remember when our own church quiltmaking class made the baby quilt for the couple adopting from Guatemala. I took that top home and another lady came to my house to help me with quilting it. Even though we did very simple quilting, we spent more hours finishing the quilt than all the ladies did together making the top! :) Do you take photos of the group with their work before everyone goes home, or maybe when the quilts are ready to go? Interesting to think of the block you showed us as working with another block, and seeing how that would look. Cool.

I knew this princess-seamed pattern had been around a while. Glad to hear that it's been a success for someone I know.

Sunny

Postby Sunny » Sun Oct 27, 2013 8:51 pm

I had Home Ec in eighth grade -- one semester was sewing and one semester was cooking. I still have my two aprons I made!

I enjoyed seeing the links you all posted. The pumpkins looks cute, Twins. Harriet, I liked the dress patterns dd chose; they look easy to do. BookSaver, the strip quilt block looks so cute and easy to do quickly, so I see where it would make a good group quilt.

I'm working on dgs11's quilt a little at a time. I have all the prints cut and the solid colors are almost all done. I can't wait to start sewing...that's the part I like the best.
Start by doing what's necessary, then what's possible, and suddenly you are doing the impossible. --- Francis of Assisi

ellyphant

Postby ellyphant » Sun Oct 27, 2013 10:22 pm

I had home ec in 7th grade. We made a skirt with an elastic casing at the waist. I had to hem the thing 3 times...the first time the teacher said I could do better...took it home and sat on my bed to redo it. When I finished I discovered I had sewn it to my bedspread...so that was ripped out and I did it a third time. I am very good at hemming, now! :lol:
How you do your work is a portrait of yourself.

Nancy
Location: Washington state in the Pacific Northwestern part of the USA.

Postby Nancy » Mon Oct 28, 2013 10:26 am

I decided last night to rip out the rain bow afghan again and just knit it as it is too big of a peoejct to crochet and hurts. My shoulder and knitting does not hurt it. -sigh-
Last edited by Nancy on Wed Oct 30, 2013 3:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ivy

Postby Ivy » Mon Oct 28, 2013 10:02 pm

It's frustrating when that happens. <BIG SIGH> :roll:

I've heard that ripping things out is called "Frogging it out," because you are making the sound of the frog by "rip-it, rip-it!" :lol:

Sometimes, when I should've ripped it out, I don't and it's become a UFO. :o :oops: But sometimes, when there's time, it's fun to sort UFO's and turn them into CFP's = Completed Finished Projects. :idea:
Touch the earth, love the earth, her plains, her valleys, her seas. Rest your soul in her solitary places. ~Henry Beston

BookSaver
Administrator

Postby BookSaver » Wed Oct 30, 2013 7:53 am

Harriet ~ The quilts will be finished by one or more of our members. I have recently been astonished by the news of just how many in our sewing group own long-arm quilting machines. (For one thing, how do they have the space in the house?!) Of course, these would be the members who also belong to the local quilting guild, and make several quilts every year.

Joining Nancy in the taking-out-stitches club. I'm not happy with the seams in some of the blocks I sewed. That was a result of using an unfamiliar machine, since I hadn't taken my own there.

Luckily these are short seams. Not nearly as disappointing as pulling out an entire hem -- twice! Good on you, Ellyphant, for persistence. I hope the home-ec teacher gave you an A.

Return to “The Creative Home”