Art, Craft and Needlework, November, 2013

A place for Artistry, Crafts and Needlework; Decorating and Holidays.
Ivy

Re: Art, Craft and Needlework, November, 2013

Postby Ivy » Fri Nov 15, 2013 8:41 pm

I'm on row 22 on dgrson-2.5's afghan now. It takes 42 rows. It's a large single Granny square. The bigger it gets, the slower it is each row to get around it. I hope I can finish it by Monday so I can start cleaning for Thanksgiving Day. :idea:

Also, I can begin the other crocheted gifts I've planned to do. :)

[color=#0000BF]I'm on row 31 now, so row 42-ending is getting nearer! :mrgreen:

Next, I'll be working on hats for the 3 youngest grands. :) :) :)
[/color]
Touch the earth, love the earth, her plains, her valleys, her seas. Rest your soul in her solitary places. ~Henry Beston

Ivy

Postby Ivy » Thu Nov 21, 2013 8:00 pm

:D Hello! I have a question, don't know where to post it to ask, but will ask here, in case it's the correct place, which does have to do with yarn, crochet.....

:?: I did a "bad" thing. :oops: :shock: I put my hair into pigtails, then braided them, put smaller ponytail end-holders on my braids and I slept with my hair like that, on my back and occasionally on the left side. This a.m. I took my braids out, noticed how I've got 2 - 3" broken off hairs now, especially on the left side, so am gently using a scrunchie fabric one, at the nape of my neck, looser, with 2 little hair clippies at the sides above the ears. I sprayed the broken hairs, combed them back so they don't stick up and fly-away in the air. :idea: I'm so embarrassed I did this. :oops: What am I? A teeny-bopper? :roll:

DH bought me some new Goody ponytail holders, so I can crochet some new hair scrunchies, but I wanted to know:
1- Is there 1 yarn better than another to make scrunchies from, which doesn't pull the hair out?
2- Is baby yarn or P 'n' C yarn better than acrylic?
3- I have patterns for all 3 different yarns, so maybe----
4- Is it better to wear a ponytail scrunchie looser at the nape of the neck instead of----
5- Making a high ponytail in the area of the head of "I Dream of Jeanie" show's ponytail because it might pull back harder? :?:
6- I think it's better- NOW- to slowly untwist a scrunchie, gently remove the hair, instead of :idea: grabbing the scrunchie and pulling straight off the head, which breaks the hair. Right? :?:

I don't have a big sister to go to to ask. I "AM" the big sister of the family. I should know these things! :!: :roll: I turn 62 next year. I love to match the color of scrunchies to the color of my clothes and have ponytails to keep hair out of my face and off my neck and back. :D I'm beginning to believe that it's not the type of yarn you use, but it's more about the position of the ponytail, how tight or loose it is and to take care when removing them from the head. Does anyone here wear scrunchies? :?: (I feel so stupid). :?
Touch the earth, love the earth, her plains, her valleys, her seas. Rest your soul in her solitary places. ~Henry Beston

Harriet

Postby Harriet » Thu Nov 21, 2013 8:39 pm

Ivy, I've always read that you don't necessarily expect the pretty scrunchie you hand-craft to be what is holding the hair firm, but that you might use a smaller, more utilitarian, cheap hairband that doesn't showfor that. That's what you are trusting for all-day hold. Then when the hair is fixed into the ponytail the way you like it, the decorative scrunchie can be added to be attractive and cover it. So the firm hairband is doing the holding work, and the pretty scrunchie is what matches the outfit, or whatever.

Now, an exception to that for the women in our family is when we are putting damp hair into a scrunchie to actually curl the ends as a "set", and then we use loose, soft scrunchies. But they aren't expected to go out into the world or hold tight. (For that we pull damp hair through once, then twist scrunchie, then pull through again until 1.5 or 2 inches of long hair is all that is free. It almost looks like a bun at nape of neck with scrunchie wound through it.

The only scrunchies I've ever made are fabric ones, and I've usually made them out of fabric a daughter just happened to like. The directions I had were for 1/4-inch simple elastic put through a tube of the fabric, then ends of elastic sewn together by machine, then ends of fabric sewn by hand. We use fluffy poly/fleece fabric ones for putting damp hair up, so it won't make creases but waves. My favorite is ugly orange, but super thick and soft!

Nancy
Location: Washington state in the Pacific Northwestern part of the USA.

Postby Nancy » Thu Nov 21, 2013 9:19 pm

I am working on getting the next project going tweaking the pattern on it three do overs on the first few rows hopefully will be the last restart on this. Another rainbow one. :mrgreen: with a bit of a lacyness to it with the broomstick size needle every few rows.

Ivy

Postby Ivy » Thu Nov 21, 2013 10:03 pm

Harriet, :D Your ideas make sense. I have Goody ponytail elastic bands, which I can make a firm ponytail with and once I get that "fixed" the way I want it, just add the decorative scrunchie. :idea: I've been making the scrunchie do all the work. :roll: Your way makes such better sense than mine, so thank you for the tip.

Also, while reading your post, I got to thinking how I can put a base ponytail in, then add the decorative scrunchie, but when I pull the last of the hair through, leave some of it inside the scrunchie to get a sort of "bun-looking" tail. That sounds pretty, too.

DH picked me up 6 fabric scrunchies, too. :D Do people ever sew fabric scrunchies entirely by hand? :?: I have a difficult time seeing to sew because of the way my eyes are now. :roll: Would it take about fabric measured about 6" x 2", sewn, add 1/4-elastic, then sew the ends closed? :idea: I wished I could see to sew effectively, but I don't think it'd matter doing a fabric scrunchie by hand because it's all scrunched up and who goes around looking "that close" to your head, inspecting your scrunchie? :lol: I have Grandma's scraps, so they'd be used, could color coordinate with my clothes, too.

Thanks for all your help, Harriet! :D

Oh, at You Tube there is a young woman who shows how to style different hairdos for long hair. One of the best ones she told about was how you make a ponytail, before you braid it, section off a small section, braid that, fasten it with a clear or hair-color rubber band, made for braid ends. Then, you take your 3 sections of hair, put the "little" braid into one of the 3 sections of hair, braid it into your braid, which makes your braid tail a lot more secure. This way, loose ends aren't falling out of your braid tail. I've done that, my braid tail feels much more secure and it's easy to do. :idea:

One thing I've attempted since age 11, is how to make a French roll. :roll: I'm just never-ever gonna get it right! :lol: I love the look of a chignon, but DH likes it when my hair shows because it's so pretty being brunette with the silvery-white running through it. It shows up pretty in a braid tail, too. Another thing I love to do, sometimes, is to make a side ponytail or side braid tail. I bring all of the hair over to behind and a bit above, 1 ear, and let it either remain loose or braid it. I love the look of the side tails.

Another thing I do is take a fabric scrunchie, make a ponytail, then take a very long, skinny, sheer (my 3 scarves just happen to be sheer prints), and tie a large bow about the scrunchie with tails hanging down. The loops of the bow hang nicely, like a draping, of sorts, and the scarf accentuates the ponytail, too. I've tried it with a braid tail, too. :mrgreen:

Ivy

Postby Ivy » Fri Nov 22, 2013 1:49 am

:D Harriet, I did a search on-line and found a kids' crafts site, which has a video there and also on You Tube. They list supplies needed at the start of the video, then demonstrate how to sew and construct a scrunchie by hand. Their fabric's 5" x 22"(or was that 20"?) :?: (I wrote the info down too fast, I guess.) :oops: Elastic 11" long, safety pin, bright fabric, matching thread, needle and scissors. At the end, they knotted the elastic together 3 times. They tucked it in and fit one end of the tube into the other to stitch closed. I loved how it looked. :idea: ;)

Nancy
Location: Washington state in the Pacific Northwestern part of the USA.

Postby Nancy » Fri Nov 22, 2013 11:42 am

I am reworking the current knit project lacy is not as warm so back to a closer together stitch.

Ivy

Postby Ivy » Sat Nov 23, 2013 2:25 am

I'm making an alternating DC row of 1 of 2 colors around on dgrson-2.5's afghan. I have 5 rows to go and it'll be done. I'm taking a break this evening, for myself though. I'll start up tomorrow, when college football's on. :idea: :) The afghan's looking very nice and I know the little guy will love it. ♥

Elizabeth

Postby Elizabeth » Mon Nov 25, 2013 4:56 pm

Finished the charity crochet baby sweater! The pattern came from a magazine, but I made the sleeves longer so I could add a stripe to coordinate with the stripe near the bottom. The variegated yarn came from a friend's stash, and I got the main color to coordinate with it. Here it is:
ScreenShot008.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

BookSaver
Administrator

Postby BookSaver » Mon Nov 25, 2013 7:17 pm

Elizabeth, that is a beautiful sweater. Some lucky mom is going to love that for her baby.

Return to “The Creative Home”