Art, Craft and Needlework, January, 2014

A place for Artistry, Crafts and Needlework; Decorating and Holidays.
Harriet

Art, Craft and Needlework, January, 2014

Postby Harriet » Wed Jan 01, 2014 2:13 pm

Each day is begun with a plan, and I try to stick to it to earn a little time at the end to sew.
- from "Time and Talent" by Nancy Breland

Welcome! Though we who post here would NEVER let our creative fun take us off-track of our homemaking plans (no, no we would never do that, right? Almost never. Very seldom. Hardly at all. :) ), our hope is that through sticking to those plans we will gain free time that can be given to the fun of creativity. Please join us and chat about your art, craft and needlework!

It's the first of the year, time again to look at the OVERVIEW of our creative lives and plans. What's the outlook for you?

We all deserve pats on the back for any goals met, compliments received, or art-messiness cleaned up. So please let friends in our thread know about the good things that came out of your 2013 creativity.

We need to look ahead to 2014 and decide what we'll continue, what we'll change, how we need to organize or schedule.

It's UFO (UnFinished Object) time again. Time to make yourself aware of the projects you wanted to get back to. These are not throw-aways until we say so, but we do need to admit to them! :D

Blogger "Punkn", on wordpress, is a seamstress who enjoys garment-making. She has a plan for a fresh perspective on UFOs and here is a brief summary:

First, finish what you are working on now. Don't let exciting UFOs distract from a finish that may be close.

The next thing to do is dig out all your UFOs. They could be anywhere, so this may be a good time to organize. Lay out all your UFOs to take stock, and admire.

:D

Next, she suggests starting to pick out the ones that really make sense to finish soon, for whatever reason, and won't require purchases. These take priority, so keep them separate where you can reach them quickly. The rest are sorted into 2 piles, "Finish" or "Plan B".

"Finish" is for those that may not make sense to work on right now, but you really want to finish someday. For each of these, make yourself notes on your plan for it, PLUS make a shopping list NOW, such as notions or more materials required. Do this while you have them out and are thinking about them. Keeping this all together for each project, store these.

"Plan B" is for those you MIGHT be willing to toss (or donate). Assess the things you've bought for each UFO. Are the materials really worth more to you than the project? If this is true, maybe it's time to dump, saving parts of value. For instance, you might love the buttons you picked for a garment project, but if you don't love the garment idea any more, save the buttons and let the rest go. If your heart is breaking just to think of it :cry: , you know you've put this UFO in the wrong pile and it needs to start over in the "Finish" pile!

At the end of this exercise, you have nothing left but UFOs you really look forward to finishing - some priorities and some that you will know just how to shop for and complete when you are ready. For anything you can't start right away, always make notes to put with the project before you store again.

I really like Punkn's plan. Consider using P and P's idea of a 3x5 in your cardfile (or other organization) that will quickly remind you where UFOs are stored. You can prioritize them on the card as well if you like. Remember that if your supplies or materials fade in sunlight, consider that when you store. Keep those projects out of all light in storage if you can.

TaDa!

Nancy
Location: Washington state in the Pacific Northwestern part of the USA.

Re: Art, Craft and Needlework, January, 2014

Postby Nancy » Wed Jan 01, 2014 2:34 pm

Thanks for starting us out with such great ideas to think on Harriet. I have knitting I keep thinking I will knit a few rows got a Joann's coupon good on Sat. Now there is an idea ... or not just remembered how muchnyarn I have in my stash lol!

Ivy

Postby Ivy » Thu Jan 02, 2014 12:47 am

I finished 1 leg warmer for dgd who turns 1 year on the 8th. Had to make it shorter because of her short legs. It was quite the challenge doing the first one, where you crochet around, use a marker (safety pin in my case) and don't join each row. It looks very nice though. I'll do the 2nd one tomorrow, then a hat, and will ship either Jan. 3 or Jan. 6. :idea:
Touch the earth, love the earth, her plains, her valleys, her seas. Rest your soul in her solitary places. ~Henry Beston

Lisa B.

Postby Lisa B. » Sun Jan 05, 2014 4:57 pm

For the ladies who haven't seen my new to me sewing machine on FB, here it is:

Its a 1957 Singer 99K with electric motor.

99K.3.jpg
99K.2.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
“The most effective way to do it, is to do it.” ~ Amelia Earhart
“The question isn’t who’s going to let me; it’s who is going to stop me.” – Ayn Rand

Lisa B.

Postby Lisa B. » Sun Jan 05, 2014 4:59 pm

more pictures.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
“The most effective way to do it, is to do it.” ~ Amelia Earhart
“The question isn’t who’s going to let me; it’s who is going to stop me.” – Ayn Rand

Nancy
Location: Washington state in the Pacific Northwestern part of the USA.

Postby Nancy » Sun Jan 05, 2014 7:51 pm

I did some knitting today.

Ivy

Postby Ivy » Sun Jan 05, 2014 11:48 pm

I got both leg warmers to look like an identical pair! :P Now I'm doing the matching hat. Next will be Ddil's matching infinity scarf.

After these are done & shipped, I'll do some dishcloths for my dneighbor-friend with memory problems. I enjoy taking her a "little something", when I go visit her.

Dgrson turns 5 on Feb. 10. I'll do a mushroom cap in "Mario" colors & 2 - 3 stuffed mushroom toys, which are like the mushrooms in the game. On April 10, the other Dgrson turns 3, so he'll get the "Luigi" colors stuffed mushroom cap with 2 - 3 mushroom toys, too. I'm taking a break between grandchildren crochet to do the dishcloths for my dfriend. Then, I'll be raring to go on the mushroom hats. :idea:

LisaB., Your photos are awesome! You're going to have so much fun playing around with that machine! :P
Touch the earth, love the earth, her plains, her valleys, her seas. Rest your soul in her solitary places. ~Henry Beston

Ivy

Postby Ivy » Wed Jan 08, 2014 11:53 pm

I crocheted Ddil an infinity scarf, dgd leg warmers/hat, and now I'm working on dishcloths for a neighbor-friend who's lost the memory to remember to crochet. She's a shut-in now. I visit with her once every 5 - 7 weeks, try to take her a little something to brighten her day.

After the dishcloths and visit are done, I'm planning to NOT do the mushroom cap for dgrson-turning 5, but to do a striped ear-flap hat instead. I chose colors of burgundy-brownish, white, navy, and dusty grey-blue. They're masculine colors, good for winter and even spring, too. :idea:

I'm finding it more difficult to get crochet done these days because I get so busy with other things. :!:

Twins' Mom

Postby Twins' Mom » Thu Jan 09, 2014 8:53 am

Lisa, this so looks like my dmom's Singer. Very, very similar shape, size and details. Bring back great memories.
Be at war with your vices, at peace with your neighbors, and let every new year find you a better [wo]man. Ben Franklin

Harriet

Postby Harriet » Thu Jan 09, 2014 12:15 pm

Weren't the sewing machines well-designed and attractive then - such graceful lines, artistic. Prettier than most knick-knacks. So interested to see you have the manual and bobbins, Lisa. Someone really took good care of this. Great photos, thanks.

I like the idea of the ear-flap hat for a 5 year boy, Ivy. Sounds practical.

Twins' Mom, I saw your handle here and wondered if you had cards to show us.

Most of my creativity lately has been wrapped up (pun, sorry) in gift wrapping. Each of the grandchildren had a handmade big multi-ribbon bow on their present (or one of their presents). I had fun making their presents look especially interesting, and I love the photos we got of the tree with presents, to remember the unique ones. Today I organized all my bow-making things, ribbons, also tags, tag-making papers, etc., both for Christmas and for year-round.

I know what I NEED to make - more of these helpful things. So tired of looking for the towel, or realizing the towel has fallen in the floor.

Return to “The Creative Home”