Art, Craft and Needlework, January, 2014

A place for Artistry, Crafts and Needlework; Decorating and Holidays.
Twins' Mom

Re: Art, Craft and Needlework, January, 2014

Postby Twins' Mom » Thu Jan 09, 2014 7:50 pm

Harriet, I am still hoping/planning? to get my crafty desk set back up in the bonus room. Either to scrap, make cards, sew or something crafty!
Be at war with your vices, at peace with your neighbors, and let every new year find you a better [wo]man. Ben Franklin

Ivy

Postby Ivy » Thu Jan 09, 2014 9:40 pm

Good Luck, Twins' and it's fun to plan, get organized and all set up for creativity. :D

I'm VERY disappointed how DGD's hat I crocheted didn't fit her 1-year-old head, when I crocheted the toddler pattern. :roll: :( :o Now I'll crochet her 2 more, as a surprise: 1 purple, 1 purple variegated. She means so much to me. ♥ Is this what it means to spoil a child rotten? :?: :oops: I don't know, but after 7 DGS, it's so nice to have a girl, at last. ;)
Touch the earth, love the earth, her plains, her valleys, her seas. Rest your soul in her solitary places. ~Henry Beston

BookSaver
Administrator

Postby BookSaver » Fri Jan 10, 2014 10:49 am

That old Singer machine looks wonderful, LisaB. I like your goal to do a lot more sewing this year.

I've been doing a little sewing this week. I thing this hat looks cute for these cold days:

http://www.luvinthemommyhood.com/2012/0 ... ttern.html

I altered the pattern size based on a fleece hat that I know fits my big head. Using some Tshirt knit, I'm having trouble making the 2 twisted strands on the sides look right. I think the problem is that the fabric needs to be a little thicker. The fix I am going to try is to add another strand and braid with 3.

Nancy
Location: Washington state in the Pacific Northwestern part of the USA.

Postby Nancy » Fri Jan 10, 2014 2:33 pm

I need dc a bettet gift wrap container it is really hard to open mine and I seem to break a nail when ever I do not what I want during tje holiday season.

I did knit up a few rows yesterday.

Lisa B.

Postby Lisa B. » Fri Jan 10, 2014 3:36 pm

Thank you ladies for the lovely comments on my Singer sewing machine.

[color=#000080]BookSaver
, that hat/beanie is cute.

We will be going to the Singer shop tomorrow, Saturday 11 Jan to get a new belt for the machine. The one on it has some cracks but they are not all the way through the belt. I just don't want to take a chance and would rather get a new one to be on the safe side. I am also going to see if I can get some Class 66 bobbins at the same time if they aren't too expensive and maybe a replacement bulb too to be safe as well.[/color]
“The most effective way to do it, is to do it.” ~ Amelia Earhart
“The question isn’t who’s going to let me; it’s who is going to stop me.” – Ayn Rand

Ivy

Postby Ivy » Fri Jan 10, 2014 8:26 pm

Since 12-month-old baby gdg's head measures 19" and the hats I make her are too small, as well as 2 her dmommy made, I've found 3 patterns, which will fit. I'll work on them this weekend, while I do writing, housework, snail mail and get ready for my b-day week ahead next week. :idea: :D

I had to find a simple-to-crochet flower for hats, too, which I did. They'll add some style and femininity to the hats. :D
Touch the earth, love the earth, her plains, her valleys, her seas. Rest your soul in her solitary places. ~Henry Beston

BookSaver
Administrator

Postby BookSaver » Mon Jan 13, 2014 5:38 pm

On FB this morning I saw a photo of a friend's "seasonal" tree that looked really pretty. She said they have it because her DH couldn't find a good place to store their big artificial Christmas tree. Now she has it decorated in red with different sizes of hearts and other Valentine's Day themed ornaments. She's trying to come up with ideas for other holidays.

I'm not sure that I'd ever do something like that, though. It's a sacrifice of a lot of floor space, plus a lot of time each holiday to switch out a lot of decorations. I'll be lucky if I ever get to the point of seasonal & holiday table runners for the dining room ...

Ivy

Postby Ivy » Mon Jan 13, 2014 9:26 pm

Booksaver, That's a great idea for a short 2-foot fake tree. We have 1, but I don't know if DH would "go" for the idea. :idea: :?: For something short, small, fake, such as ours, it sounds smart, but he'd need to get it out again! :lol:

Today, I'm NOT crocheting, after crocheting for days/weeks and it feels just TOO WEIRD! LOL! :lol: That's okay though, I'm trying to figure out something. Maybe one of you could help me out?

I crochet. I do not knit. However, I've got a "I Can't Believe I'm Knitting!" book AND "Knitting for Dummies," book. I've tried and have tried again and again, get nervous, my tummy has butterflies in it, when I knit, and I keep losing stitches every 3rd or 4th stitch, as I knit! :shock: :!: :roll: I had a knitter tell me that my knitting needles, since they're skinny aluminum ones, are too slippery for my hands. She suggested to me to get bamboo thicker needles and thicker yarn. Then, this poses a question to me: Do I find bamboo needles just anywhere? What size do I get? What brands of yarn have chunky yarns? Can I go to Joann's or Michael's to find everything? Or maybe reading through the 2 knitting books I have would be a good place to begin? :idea: Then take it from there. :?: I want to knit a throw for my nap-time, when I have TIME for a nap. ;)

Harriet

Postby Harriet » Mon Jan 13, 2014 11:01 pm

Take it from a person who doesn't have a clue about knitting, LOL! But Ivy, what I would do is read the information you already have before making purchases of supplies. You might get a better understanding of the problem and it might lead you to buy something completely different from what you would buy now. Also, you could search the net to see if you can find info about the difference between types of needles, what problems each corrects, etc. Her idea sounds valid, but you don't even know which size, so I would check recommendations from more people, especially the authors of the books.

BookSaver, the only problem I can think of about the tree would be dust over the year's time onto a hard-to-dust object. I guess an artificial tree left in sunlight through a window might eventually fade like textiles would - or would it? Otherwise, if she has the space and the desire to do clever decorating, it sounds like fun.

Oh, about table runners, I know! Such a case of the shoemaker's children having no shoes, for me. Also at our fireplace I have a lovely mini-quilt that I made, about 20" x 30", hanging as a fireplace screen. But I'm sure everyone would like to see me change that out every once in a while! :roll: A light, bright coloration would be nice. I've only changed it to one other, didn't really care for that one, and haven't used it again. Just a case of not finding time to make a small quilt to that size! I mean, how easy is that? The hard part is planning it, only because of the decision-making, whittling down to one from the hundred ideas that would be cute, lol.

Family doesn't think I will like having buttoned-on kitchen towels that can't be quickly grabbed for something across the room. They may be right. Also, I always hang the kitchen towel on the stove front, and if left there, the buttoned-on one would lie partially on the floor when the door was opened. So now I'm not so sure about that mini-project.

It is not lost on me that I have a grandchild on the way and still have an older brother of his who has not yet gotten a quilt from Grandma. Just can't think about that right now, too big a project.

Nancy
Location: Washington state in the Pacific Northwestern part of the USA.

Postby Nancy » Tue Jan 14, 2014 1:17 pm

Ivy just keep trying use a larger size like #10 needles. It just takes pratice.

Return to “The Creative Home”