Art, Craft and Needlework, February, 2014

A place for Artistry, Crafts and Needlework; Decorating and Holidays.
Nancy
Location: Washington state in the Pacific Northwestern part of the USA.

Re: Art, Craft and Needlework, February, 2014

Postby Nancy » Fri Feb 07, 2014 10:12 pm

Dgd saw the ♥ s I had drawn in the 1st. Page of my journal and wanted to draw some so she worked on doing that this afternoon said she was making a valentine for her folks. I did dots she could draw connecting lines it was great to see how she had it in her hand when she left.

Ivy

Postby Ivy » Sun Feb 09, 2014 12:12 am

I worked on the "Olympics" hat through row 10, it's a repeating row 7 & 8 pattern right now, so it's actually row 8, repeated for the 2nd time. I was tired of crocheting in my pajamas, so ran to shower, dress nice, and fix my hair.

I never got back to the hat, but made a dfriend a Valentine's card with letter and it went out in today's mail. :D It was a collage card, turned out beautiful, so I'm sure she'll be surprised and pleased. :D
Touch the earth, love the earth, her plains, her valleys, her seas. Rest your soul in her solitary places. ~Henry Beston

Nancy

Postby Nancy » Sun Feb 09, 2014 1:22 am

♥♥♥ ♡♡♡♥♥♥my atempt to do a red white and blue post.

I did some knitting today blue scarf is about 3/4 ths of the way done. :mrgreen:

Ivy

Postby Ivy » Mon Feb 10, 2014 12:17 am

I have a small card to mail tomorrow to a dfriend and a ♥ ♥ Thank You-Valentine's combination card to mail to dfriends for gifts they've given me, for Valentine's Day, as a thank you for several crocheted "scrubbies" for her and her dmom. It's fun to make cards for a change-of-pace from crochet.

I need to get back to dgson-5's crocheted royal blue afghan and my red-white-blue hat. :idea:
Touch the earth, love the earth, her plains, her valleys, her seas. Rest your soul in her solitary places. ~Henry Beston

Nancy

Postby Nancy » Mon Feb 10, 2014 6:40 pm

I finished the blue scarf this weekend.
Started a red one.

Ivy

Postby Ivy » Tue Feb 11, 2014 2:08 am

I made 7 or 8 Valentine's Day cards in total. I gave DH his card today.
Now I get to browse through old Paper Crafts Magazines, to get ideas for a BFF who turns 62 in May.
I want a dozen cards done for her, including the envelopes, and perhaps crochet her a hanging shell-stitch dishtowel, which has no button. The tab goes through a hole, where a button would be usually going, it stays in place, I believe, because of friction and the design. :idea:
I'm "itching" at finishing my "Olympics" hat, but got sidetracked feeling ill and working on a short story.

I crocheted a 2" x 3" swatch in SC from red, white, blue patriotic Peaches 'n' Creme colors in variegated for another BFF. She lives in Virginia, near Washington D. C., so I assumed because red, white, and blue are her condo colors, how very patriotic this yarn would be for her kitchen. :idea: However, I was uncertain of a proper "match" and didn't want the red or blue or white to clash with her kitchen colors. Also, I felt how her location's in a patriotic place, near our Nation's Capital, so figured it was a perfect idea. I'm so happy the swatch matched. Now I need to decide what patterns to use. I may make her the same shell-stitch hanging button-less dishtowel with dishcloths in a shell stitch or various stitches. If my white matches the white in the P 'n' C 1-Lb. cone, it'll be GR8! :!: Also, I have a cone of red P 'n' C yarn, too. This will add to styles and variations, to brighten up her kitchen. She doesn't crochet or knit, so she's extremely in awe of handmade items, which makes me feel so appreciated and happy to pamper her, and bless her, too. :P She's also my "Diet Buddy". :mrgreen:

Harriet

Postby Harriet » Thu Feb 13, 2014 7:03 pm

Assembled my bookmark-making supplies and started working. Dd worked alongside me at the dining table, making jewelry.

Thoughts so far on pressed-flowers...
...no, you do not have enough. There's no such thing as bringing home too many flowers to press.
...there will always be a few missing after pressing in books. You will find them years from now.
...for every bright or shapely flower you press, press several simple leaves, ordinary petals for balance.
...some petals' colors change. Some turn more muted or heathered, but that just looks more romantic.

I'm feeling the wistfulness I knew I would, that I didn't start collecting flowers until late summer, so many of the pretty blooms I can envision aren't part of this collection. But that's how collections are - if we owned everything at once, there would be nothing to look forward to gathering. I've always known I could just buy some more, but that's missing the whole point of finding personal treasures.

Ivy

Postby Ivy » Fri Feb 14, 2014 12:38 am

I crocheted our kitchen 2-strand round scrubbie in dark blue and eggshell. Our accent colors are cobalt blue. I might make myself a 2-sided one with flower petals, like I did BFF and her Dmom.

I'm stuck on row 10 of the "Olympics" color hat. I added some stitches. The pattern suggested if the hat was for an adult, to add a few stitches. I did. Now the hat's a bit loose, but I'm still happy because it won't give me "Hat Head" on my bob, when I take off my hat. So I'm happy it's loose now. I just need to buckle down to get the rest of it done. I go as many rows as I want it to go now, depending on how it looks on me with my bob and eyeglasses.

Harriet, The bookmarks sound lovely. :D I sometimes make jewelry, too. I love making Memory Wire bracelets from re-cycled thrift store beaded necklaces from older years. The beads, combined with newer beads can make something breath-taking. :idea: :D

Harriet

Postby Harriet » Fri Feb 14, 2014 4:45 pm

Pressed flowers are fun and rewarding, but tedious. I'm learning that even with a steady hand these delicate little blossoms can be nicked, dropped, broken. Made my first bookmark from the blue orchid petals (gift at my ddad's death), white bacopa blossoms I grew myself, foundling orange daisy petals, and the leaves/stems of little unknown foundling plants by the side of the road.

Tried a see-through bookmark, bordered, and tried using the more expensive craft laminating film. (Also will try clear Contact paper.) Really surprised this film doesn't appear as clear as I expected. Probably should have tried a one-sided bookmark image first - it's hard to envision one that is going to be view-able from both sides. Thankfully, you can just lift it up in the air and look at the "bottom" as you are working!

In a funny way, it's easier, though, because you are laying the flowers onto the laminate film, and even though you can make a mistake easily, they don't blow away or move.

A dainty leaf fell from my hand and landed outside the border. No matter what you do, you can't get all of that off the laminate. So it looks a little messy there, but I'm learning.

Need to buy tassels.

Ivy, dd is using wire - she's copying some wrap-around ear jewelry she saw online, that will have a little dangling gold glints behind the earlobe without piercing, just looped around the back of the ear. Her Daddy does not allow piercings.

BookSaver
Administrator

Postby BookSaver » Sat Feb 15, 2014 11:11 am

Harriet, your pressed flower bookmarks sound beautiful. I found a 1940s cookbook at the used book store that I almost bought solely because someone had pressed several 4 leaf clovers in it. Some of the pressed clovers were still there, and on others the plants had fallen or been taken out, but left behind perfect shadow images on the pages. I could see all of the detail of the veins in the leaves.

I dithered for the longest time about that book, both for its text and for those pressed 4 leaf clovers. Ultimately I decided not to buy it because I already have the almost all of the recipes in various other cookbooks, and the book was not in very good condition so I thought it was priced much too high.

I'm guessing, though, that next time I go there if it is still on the shelf with a lower price, I'll consider it again. I can imagine scanning those pages with the shadow images and using them as an art project somehow.

Return to “The Creative Home”