Art, Craft and Needlework, March, 2014

A place for Artistry, Crafts and Needlework; Decorating and Holidays.
Ivy

Re: Art, Craft and Needlework, March, 2014

Postby Ivy » Mon Mar 24, 2014 12:07 am

Nancy, I've never heard of a notebook like that. :?: I've heard how some knitters and crocheters make swatches, add the yarn they used, how much yarn it took to make the project, who the gift went to, and they dated the start and completion dates of their projects. Is that the sort of notebook idea you had in mind?

I crocheted on a variegated red and white Peaches 'n' Cream hanging dishtowel today.

I tidied up the yarn totes. We'll buy yarns on Thursday or Friday, at Joann's so I have enough for the 3 youngest grands' Christmas afghans. We'll price the P 'n' C, too, to see if it's cheap enough or on sale, so I can make more kitchen mats. :idea: DH doesn't want to go to Walmart, where it's cheaper. :roll:

P. S. I looked up on-line, two major stores, which sell the yarns I'm looking for (pound-size skeins). I got perturbed when I saw the prices on them. :shock: :!: I only thought I needed 3 pounds of yarn, 1 per grandchild, for the younger 3. When I went back into the walk-in closet, I found that we'd already bought 2 Lbs. of yarn, had others on-hand, and dgd's yarn is even all spoken for, too. I eliminated about a $30 expense- or more! :mrgreen: Next time, I'll look first- then shop second- if needed. Also, when I get off-white, white, beige, or black yarns on sale, it makes the solid colors of yarns go a lot further, when you add a neutral color to them. :idea: It also adds a nice contrast, too. :mrgreen:

P.P.S. I found some more pink, white, and lavender yarns. :!: :!: :P So the butterflies afghan will be changed, color-wise, by my adding lavender to the raspberry, pink and white. I decided, too, instead of having a CC 1-round in the center of every other white Granny square, why not put a different colored butterfly there instead? :idea: So each square will be white, with a different colored butterfly on it. It'll make it brighter, prettier, and more exciting for dgd to "see", too. :D
Touch the earth, love the earth, her plains, her valleys, her seas. Rest your soul in her solitary places. ~Henry Beston

Ivy

Postby Ivy » Tue Mar 25, 2014 11:04 pm

I started the butterflies motif square, which was NOT a Granny, as "assumed" from the pattern's photo on-line. :roll: It was the most holey, flimsy, loose, V-stitch square I'd ever seen! :!: It wouldn't even keep DGD warm, if I followed the pattern!

So, :idea: I took an "H" hook, instead, made 5 rounds in White MC Granny square pattern, the next row was Granny CC, then, I did 1 round of white HDC. Then, I made the butterfly, edging it in pink. This was just a "mock-up" using yellow and white. But I plan on using the colors in the pattern, in pink, white, and raspberry. :P

Then, since I'd "discovered" so many pastel colors, in my arsenal, I decided to use them for her butterfly pillow and stuffed butterfly doll. If there are colors leftover, I might make her a vest or little cardigan. :D
Touch the earth, love the earth, her plains, her valleys, her seas. Rest your soul in her solitary places. ~Henry Beston

Nancy
Location: Washington state in the Pacific Northwestern part of the USA.

Postby Nancy » Wed Mar 26, 2014 12:30 am

For now I devided to go with ralvery sp? For a note book it is on line.

Ivy that project sounds great to!

Ivy

Postby Ivy » Wed Mar 26, 2014 12:26 pm

Thanks, Nancy! :D

DGD's afghan measurements are 41" x 61", she's tiny, won't be 2 until Jan. 2015, so will consider leaving off one row at the bottom, of the squares, to make the afghan more manageable for her. It must be pattern directions for an adult size; not a little toddler. :idea:

When I do the DGS's afghans, I'll do the Easy Patterned Throw from Crochet Me site, only will do it in stripes of bright and rich-looking boy colors. It measures 50" x 50", which is a nice size. At Christmastime, 1 DGS will be 3 3/4 years old and 1 DGS will be 5 3/4 years old. Their throws will be perfect on the bed, cuddling up in, in a chair or on the floor watching DVD's or games or cartoons, Sesame Street, etc.... :idea:

My "plans" are to finish all 3 afghans first. Then, I want to make their pillows each. After that, the boys will get a scarf, with puppet hands on each end and DGD will get a butterfly doll toy. If I have time, I'll try to make DGD a sweater or vest and the boys each a hand puppet. I've got all my patterns printed out, inside a file labeled for Christmas. It's in our bedroom on the coffee table, so I know "where" to find it. :mrgreen:

Nancy

Postby Nancy » Thu Mar 27, 2014 9:40 am

I have done more frogging yesterday than anything.

Ivy

Postby Ivy » Sat Mar 29, 2014 12:48 am

:idea: The butterfly for DGD, who turns 2 in Jan. 2015, measures 41" x 61" when completed. :!: She's just a tiny girl. I didn't care for the flimsy loose v-stitch squares in the pattern, so made a mock-up one in a Granny square with a butterfly. I prefer my idea much better, it's firmer, yet soft, but more important, less holey and more warm. :) Also, I drew a sketch of the afghan squares, drew butterflies on alternating squares with a dot on alternating squares, to symbolize the first CC round in some squares, which is in the center, every other square. I measured the Granny to be 8" square, so it'll be 5 squares across and 6 squares down, rather than 7 squares down. I'll be making 5 fewer squares, the afghan will fit her crib or bed-at-the-time better, and it'll be much better the way *I* want to make it. :P I'm so happy I've made the preliminary plans. Now, all I need is to make the time to get the job done. I was considering making a square, then puttering around the house or walk or write on a story, then go make another square. :idea: That way, I'll get her afghan done and I'll still be getting my housework done, stories written, and exercise in. It's a win-win situation. :mrgreen:

Nancy

Postby Nancy » Sat Mar 29, 2014 12:07 pm

I do not do e bay do any of you have
Info. On where I can get 1 lb. White and 1 lb. Grey black or natural color raw wool tomuse for demos on my drop spindle? Help! Thanks no yarn shops here had info. I have lost my contacts.

Harriet

Postby Harriet » Sat Mar 29, 2014 10:03 pm

Nancy, although I don't know off-hand, remember that you can still learn things from reading ebay listings even if you don't ever buy through ebay. You could find some listings that are close to what you want and see if there is info on the name of the farm/business. A lot of the wool listings have photos that show the package they will be sending, with their name and location. Then you could look the seller up yourself away from ebay.

Ivy, that's smart to sketch it out and see what you think. Enjoy the granny squares.

Nancy

Postby Nancy » Sat Mar 29, 2014 10:19 pm

Harriet that was what I did but got frustrated bc I did not want a whole fleece. But found the # of the gal to contact I our town and called her so it worked out good. I hope to get an umbrella swift and that gal is a dealer for the one type of spinning wheels.

Worked with the one batch of yarn today sigh only 1/3 rd of the way done. So I need to meep at it trying to get ready for the end of April festival. I may want to spin in it. I may have to wash this fiber again. This used to be more fun! LOL!

I hope to get my big loom repaired to use or sell.

Not much else done today however.

Harriet

Postby Harriet » Sun Mar 30, 2014 7:53 pm

Driving by my ddad's homeplace I noticed the daffodils there were in bloom now - they are a little later blooming. I stopped in and got one bloom to press. Dd15 was not so sure I knew how to press those - of course very 3 dimensional. But I press the petals and open the cup out separately.

Nice to hear about wool fleeces and hear about your spindle, etc, again, Nancy. A pleasant craft. Hope you find a nice swift.

Return to “The Creative Home”