Art, Craft and Needlework, April 2014

A place for Artistry, Crafts and Needlework; Decorating and Holidays.
Nancy
Location: Washington state in the Pacific Northwestern part of the USA.

Re: Art, Craft and Needlework, April 2014

Postby Nancy » Sun Apr 27, 2014 12:25 am

I finished knitting the shawl is is not big enough sigh!

Ivy

Postby Ivy » Sun Apr 27, 2014 11:39 pm

[color=#0000BF]Nancy[/color], If it's a rectangle shawl, could you add a border & fringes? :?: If it's triangle, I don't know if you can add a band of color, knitted, along the long side wrapped around the neck/shoulders. But you could also fringe it, too. :idea: Is it very noticeably too small? Maybe it could go to a petite older woman or teenager? :?: :idea:
Touch the earth, love the earth, her plains, her valleys, her seas. Rest your soul in her solitary places. ~Henry Beston

Nancy

Postby Nancy » Mon Apr 28, 2014 2:34 pm

This shawl may fit dgd 5 yr. Old. Shaped like a cape skipping the hood on thus project for now. I is long enough just not big enough around.

Ivy

Postby Ivy » Mon Apr 28, 2014 9:38 pm

That's a GR8 idea of yours, Nancy! :idea: :D

I crocheted a very small round dishcloth for under DH's denture square plastic container with lid, he uses at night with denture powder. Then, I invented a coaster pattern for under pump soaps, which I *REALLY* like! :mrgreen: Here goes:

Using Peaches 'n' Creme 100% knitted worsted cotton yarn & a "G" size crochet hook, you do this:

Round Coaster Pattern:

Chain 8, join with slip stitch to form ring.

Row 1: Chain 2, (1st HDC made), HDC in same stitch, 2 HDC in each chain around. Join. (16)

Row 2: Chain 2, HDC in same stitch, 2 HDC in each HDC around. Join. (32)

Row 3: Chain 2, 2 HDC in next HDC, (HDC in next HDC, 2 HDC in next HDC) around. Join. (48), I think. :?:

Row 4: Chain 2, HDC in next HDC, 2 HDC in next HDV (HDC in next 2 HDC, 2 HDC in next HDC) around; Join. (65)

Edging: chain 1, slip stitch in each HDC around, join, fasten off; weave in loose end.

I believe the slip stitch edging prevents this coaster from curling. I had tried to HDC around, but it was curling on me, didn't look quite "right" or finished correctly. It was a "blooper" and the slip stitching looks nice around, too, because you can see it on top, all around, which finishes it nicely, making it look attractive, too. It was fun to "invent" something new.
Touch the earth, love the earth, her plains, her valleys, her seas. Rest your soul in her solitary places. ~Henry Beston

Nancy

Postby Nancy » Tue Apr 29, 2014 9:51 am

I am realy enjoying this new cape knitting project in Easter spring color stripes. I am learning the pearl strip is acting almost like a pleat in the back! A lot of fun.

I have washed up the blace fleece this morning.

Posted a photo on fb of a cassarole tote I found at the thrift shop I am using it for projects pens etc. To keep little hands from sharps and out of it.
Last edited by Nancy on Tue Apr 29, 2014 2:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ivy

Postby Ivy » Tue Apr 29, 2014 2:04 pm

It sounds beautiful, Nancy.

I finished all 4 coasters for the bathroom last night. Today, I plan on working on the V-stitch facecloths again,on & off, while I do laundry & other things. :)

I'm trying out how to "motivate" myself to gear up for Christmas crochet now. I've decided to wait until after Mother's Day, then take it from there, with baby steps. :idea:

Return to “The Creative Home”