Art, Craft and Needlework, May, 2014

A place for Artistry, Crafts and Needlework; Decorating and Holidays.
Ivy

Re: Art, Craft and Needlework, May, 2014

Postby Ivy » Wed May 28, 2014 1:53 am

I was very impressed with all the yarns at Walmart today. I also thought the 1-Lb. cone of white P 'n' C was very nice-looking, too. It seems their quality's improved, to me. The yarns are so much cheaper there than at the other 2 local craft stores. :!: Only $7.97 for a 1-Lb. cone at Walmart & Joann's charged $14! Wowie-Zowie! That's nearly double. :o Too bad. Joann's, I've found, carry a lot of the Lion Brand's 100% kitchen cotton yarns there, too, & less P 'n' C, if any. I wonder why? :?: At the Walmart site, they sell 1-Lb. cones of P 'n' C AND Sugar 'n' Cream, both. The S 'n' C is a couple dollars higher, but it's good quality, too. I enjoy being able to pick from a selection of things & not just 1 too expensive item that I'm not happy with. :idea: IMHO! :!: :!:
Touch the earth, love the earth, her plains, her valleys, her seas. Rest your soul in her solitary places. ~Henry Beston

Nancy
Location: Washington state in the Pacific Northwestern part of the USA.

Postby Nancy » Wed May 28, 2014 2:55 pm

http://thecrochetcrowd.com/super-star-afghan-2/

Thought this would dc be a fun shape for a pillow or pj bag could be on school colors! 2nd multi color dish cloth done. Tan & white one one forth done.

Ivy

Postby Ivy » Wed May 28, 2014 11:24 pm

I did 1 of those in red-white-blue for a Gettysburg baby boy being born.

I did 1 of those in pink & white for a Sunnyside, WA cousin-in-law baby being born.

I did 1 of those in the Spiderman red-white-blue-black pattern with that start shape, too.

I don't know if I'll ever do another star. There is a pattern done in purples, which is beautiful, for a big double-bed or king-size bed that looks very challenging. :idea:

I like star washcloths/dishcloths, too. ;)

Ever crochet the snowflake square? It's in a book of 99 or 100 afghan squares, but it's on-line for a dishcloth, pair of potholders, or afghan. I've done so many snowflake potholders now, for Christmas, so I don't know if I could ever do anymore. :lol: But it'd be fun to do multi-color snowflake squares for a large afghan for my king-sized bed. :idea: It's be a beautiful shawl for winter, too! :!: OR PILLOW covers for throw pillows, like 4 squares per side. ;)
Touch the earth, love the earth, her plains, her valleys, her seas. Rest your soul in her solitary places. ~Henry Beston

Nancy

Postby Nancy » Thu May 29, 2014 9:35 am

1st tan & white dish cloth done 2nd one 1/4 th of the way done.
I will do more to have so me on have for gifts.
Last edited by Nancy on Mon Jun 02, 2014 12:33 am, edited 1 time in total.

Ivy

Postby Ivy » Fri May 30, 2014 12:11 am

I put the Christmas yarns & pattern clipboard into a tote bag on the floor in front of the sofa next to the recliner today. I needed to get my mess off the sofa, which was so unsightly & cluttery. Now it's all next to my recliner ready for me to pick up anytime I have extra time. :idea:

Nancy

Postby Nancy » Sat May 31, 2014 8:29 am

I am working on the star dish cloth in the link I am sharing.
http://www.simplynotable.com/2013/the-almost-lost-washcloth-pattern/
Last edited by Nancy on Mon Jun 02, 2014 12:33 am, edited 1 time in total.

Ivy

Postby Ivy » Sun Jun 01, 2014 12:22 am

It's sure a beautiful pattern, Nancy. :P

I didn't get a chance to crochet for a few days. Perhaps it'll be different in June. :?: :idea: I usually start Christmas crochet in June. It gives me 6 months to get "going". It gives me plenty of time, to balance writing, the housework, & visiting 3 shut-ins, plus having grandsons stay in the summer, & get my Christmas stuff done, too.

I June, I'm very careful about when I go outdoors, because of fair skin & 2 meds cause heat stroke & easier sunburns. So I'm indoors a lot more. I have SPF-50 & a good sun canvas wide-brim hat with an adjustable chin strap. I guess I could also, go out in the shade-on-the-patio part of the day, to crochet outdoors, too. Several people knit & crochet outdoors in the summer months. Do you? :?:

Nancy

Postby Nancy » Sun Jun 01, 2014 12:37 am

I have dish cloth yarns I need to make wedding gifts pot holders too crochet to go with em. Feather n fan dish cloth pattern to try.

I have 2 pot holders to makeup too.

I do not like to do yarn work outside it might get dirty.
Last edited by Nancy on Mon Jun 02, 2014 12:36 am, edited 1 time in total.

Ivy

Postby Ivy » Sun Jun 01, 2014 11:42 pm

:idea: Your idea is smart to NOT do yarn work outdoors, Nancy! :!: :idea: I never even thought of that, when others had told me they work outdoors in the summer months. It's smart NOT to get things "dirty" if you don't want to re-wash & re-wash it!

Also, do you wash acrylic yarn afghans, etc.. before you give them away as gifts? :?: When I read here, how Booksaver, or someone does wash every finished project, it made sense, so now I do, except I don't wash P 'n' C or S 'n' C completed kitchen items for adult kitchens.

But this past December, I washed, dried with dryer sheets, the 3 youngest grands' afghans, they were so much softer, pretty looking, vibrant, & ready to snuggle in to immediately. 8-) :idea: Now I wonder if it'll be a good/better idea to do that with the grands' puppets, scarves, vest, etc.., too. :?:

I'm familiar with that feathers and fans pattern. I've seen it on-line in a photo. Do you ever go to Pintrest to get ideas? :idea: :?: DDIL goes there, then makes up her own patterns for DGD-17-months' tuutuu's, etc.. She did that with an infinity scarf for me from ruffled material found at the end of ribbons & trim in the fabric dept. AND with a little round tote bag with pockets & handles. She's incredible. She has 1 baby girl & 6 sons, ages 2 - 17 & still sews & loom knits. She works when kids are sleeping or late at night when the family's asleep or early a.m. before the family rises. Her and our DSON get up quite early to chat over coffee, so when he leaves, she gets extra time in, too. :)

Return to “The Creative Home”