Art, Craft and Needlework, May, 2014

A place for Artistry, Crafts and Needlework; Decorating and Holidays.
Nancy
Location: Washington state in the Pacific Northwestern part of the USA.

Re: Art, Craft and Needlework, May, 2014

Postby Nancy » Mon May 05, 2014 9:38 am

I saw on U-Tube on how to crochet a butterfly chain!
I got hood on the smaller cape still need to make I cord for it. The bigger one in spring colors is nearly done on the main part but the hood has not started yet.
Last edited by Nancy on Tue May 06, 2014 10:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

Ivy

Postby Ivy » Mon May 05, 2014 8:56 pm

The butterfly chain sounds awesome. Is it using thread crochet or Worsted? :?:

Am crocheting on & off on facecloths this week, up until Mother's Day. After Mother's Day, I'll begin making 1 square a day on dgd's butterfly afghan. I believe I need 35 squares. :?: Or 30? :?:

Then, I'll do small pick-up work projects, when I'm tired of the squares for the butterfly afghan. I'll alternate back & forth between projects, so I don't get bored or too tired of 1 thing. :idea:
Touch the earth, love the earth, her plains, her valleys, her seas. Rest your soul in her solitary places. ~Henry Beston

Nancy

Postby Nancy » Mon May 05, 2014 10:24 pm

The butterfly was of thicker chroch. Thread.
I am making I cord for cape I put a hood on. It did not fit dgson either that is good to know.
Spun up some carded fiber today.
Plyed some yarn black and multi jewel tones.
Got the I cord done and in the hooded cape it was for yea for that!

Ivy

Postby Ivy » Tue May 06, 2014 8:35 pm

Will work on more facecloths tonight through Mother's Day & look forward to crocheting butterfly Grannies the day after Mother's Day.

BFF loved the crocheted kitchen set with hanging dishtowel and 3 dishcloths, too. :D
Touch the earth, love the earth, her plains, her valleys, her seas. Rest your soul in her solitary places. ~Henry Beston

Ivy

Postby Ivy » Wed May 07, 2014 9:38 pm

:?: Does anyone reading & writing in this thread, have a set date during the year, to start Christmas gifts by? :?:

I used to start what I called "Christmas in July," & started my list & crocheting then.

But now, with pen palling, reading, writing from home for work, I feel like July is starting too late- for me- to get things done in time. I just don't know what to do. :roll:

I used to write "Christmas 2014" in the center of the legal pad.
Perhaps if I do what I've done in the past, which is a mind map or story board.
I write each person/project inside a cloud or oval. Then, I draw a line, from the center to each person, in order to each different project cloud/oval. Then, it's visually mapped out, for me to see where I'm going on my map, how much time I've got to get what done for whom by. :idea: I suppose if I was "really smart" I could date each cloud/oval with a goal date, to shoot for. When that's done, I could add the projects to my day runner & electronic calendar, to come into my inbox everyday until the date of completion. I might dink around with this idea, so I can get organized for after Mother's Day. It would put my mind at ease. I need to balance my writing projects, the house, self-care, with the Christmas crochet. It's hard sometimes, :roll: yes, but at other times, it's similar to a "game of challenge". ;)

Ivy

Postby Ivy » Tue May 13, 2014 11:20 pm

I decided :idea: to write gifts I'll make for Christmas, on a December list pad. It simplifies the problem I was having. I can mark off things finished as I go.

I got out the tote for dgd-16-months butterfly Granny afghan.

Am trying to figure out what patterns to use for BFF. I want to make her:
1- A hanging dishtowel
2- 1 pair of pretty display potholders
3- dishcloths

I'll use my cone of variegated Christmas colors P 'n' C cotton yarn with a cone of red, cone of white, cone of green. It'll be decorative & festive in time for Christmas. I'm thinking about giving it to her earlier than Dec. 1, because she can decorate with it this year. :idea: I can give it to her the end of November. This way, we won't be delivering gifts to them, at such a busy month, in December. :) :) And she'll have a decorated kitchen. :P :P

Nancy

Postby Nancy » Thu May 15, 2014 9:36 pm

Got an art book like new for girls and friendship bracelet maker kit http://friendship-bracelet-patterns.myfbm.com and embroidery floss to go with it at a yd. Sale dgd & I will have fun using these!

Sunny

Postby Sunny » Fri May 16, 2014 5:44 pm

I've been watching some videos by Eleanor Burns of Quilt in a Day, mainly to get some new tips and hints for working on my quilt for dgs12. This series is about American Barns and the one I saw last night reminded me of those of us here who wear aprons.
http://www.quiltinaday.tv/tv/qbab/qbab2.html

This video is titled: Broken Wheel and Farmer's Daughter. The last section of the video she talks about the aprons she has. I thought some would enjoy hearing her.

It was interesting to find out that she was born and raised in Zelienople, PA and spent summers on her aunt's farm in Harmony, PA; very close to where we lived.
Start by doing what's necessary, then what's possible, and suddenly you are doing the impossible. --- Francis of Assisi

Ivy

Postby Ivy » Fri May 16, 2014 7:45 pm

Sunny, Thanks for sharing such a nice website with us. It's very interesting. I love some of her posted quilts on the covers of books, too. :)

Am "trying" to get into the "MOOD" of crocheting dgd's Granny squares for her butterfly afghan. Am thinking about taking the file for Christmas crochet gifts, a tablet, & writing a "mind map" for each person I want to make gifts for, then put them in a bubble, with lines out from their names, to bubbles with the gifts to make for them, in attached bubbles. I'll cross off the bubbles, as gifts are made. It's a super easy way to have the "list" mapped out on 1 sheet of paper, visible, to tackle each item at a time. :idea:

I've used mind maps for housework, too, or mapping out a short story. It works nice to mind map housework before a big family get-together, right down to the foods needed. ;)

Nancy

Postby Nancy » Sat May 17, 2014 9:15 am

Gifts I am considering so older grands can make thier own crafts, small beginner loom, art book, friendship bracelet maker and supplies they can work on these here. Lanyard, a tie for grandpa's cane, pot holder loom others to me announced. I have been giving $ it is a hit ♡.

Return to “The Creative Home”