Art, Craft and Needlework, May, 2014

A place for Artistry, Crafts and Needlework; Decorating and Holidays.
Ivy

Re: Art, Craft and Needlework, May, 2014

Postby Ivy » Sun May 25, 2014 5:06 pm

Nancy, What did you do with the dog fur blanket, when you found out it stunk like a wet dog when it got wet? :?: Did you keep it, making sure it was kept dry, or did you get rid of it? :?: My DFriend loves her dog so much, she put such effort & time into making her knitted afghan, she'd never be able to part with it because of her love for her dog.

I decided that after I crochet the 1 pr. potholders + 1 hot pad, if that looks like enough of a gift, to not go overboard to crochet a hanging dishtowel, too. Or perhaps, I can get a cone of white P 'n' C yarn, make a fingertip towel, which takes 2 small buttons, & have red buttons on a white fingertip towel. Or I could crochet her 2 CD disc coasters, in Christmas colors. She's such a special lady.

I have 1 SC pen pal, who's become my BFF over the several years we've been corresponding & I'd love to make her a pair of yellow variegated scalloped potholders because yellow is her kitchen color. :idea: It'll be a surprise gift to her around Christmastime. If I do a Christmas-theme potholder project, she'll only be able to use them at Christmas. I want her to be able to use the yellow variegated ones year-round, so she can always think of me. ;)
Touch the earth, love the earth, her plains, her valleys, her seas. Rest your soul in her solitary places. ~Henry Beston

Ivy

Postby Ivy » Mon May 26, 2014 12:40 am

I found out that a banner on the Internet was over row 2 on the potholder/hot pad pattern. :roll: I hadn't noticed, so didn't "X" the close on the banner, so printed it up. :? :| :roll: So I went to my pattern file. I found a pattern, which was translated from Norwegian into Old English & it *STILL* is just *TOO WEIRD*! LOL! :lol: But figured out how "Tremble" means "TL" & it's an American DC. So the pattern's written out oddly, too, so I'm re-inventing it as I go. It has 7 rows, then the joining edging row is scalloped. My row colors are as follows:

r. 1 = red
r. 2 = white
r. 3 = green
r. 4 = variegated red-white-green
r. 5 = red
r. 6 = white
r. 7 = green
joining scalloped edging = variegated. :mrgreen: It's so vibrant, bright, festive & pretty all put together. I'm about to do row 5 or 6 now, on the 1st side. I want to do 3 in all; 1 pr. potholders & 1 hot pad.

Then, I'll crochet the hanging dishtowel. After that, I'll be ready to finish dgd's 1st butterfly Granny afghan square & get her afghan done. :idea:
Touch the earth, love the earth, her plains, her valleys, her seas. Rest your soul in her solitary places. ~Henry Beston

Nancy
Location: Washington state in the Pacific Northwestern part of the USA.

Postby Nancy » Mon May 26, 2014 10:31 am

I had done that fiber for someone else I just washed the yarn before giving it to them and warned them it was their prob. To deal with.

I started a dish cloth the regular go to knit on the diagonal one I do most often. For me I need some new ones may up do some others for the outdoor kit.

I have the main part of a tote done all but the handles.

Ivy

Postby Ivy » Mon May 26, 2014 3:01 pm

Nancy, I don't blame you for telling the other person for them to deal with that problem.

You're lucky you have an outdoor kitchen! :)

Do you ever put metal or plastic handles on your tote bags? Have you ever done those projects where you shrink the finished project? I don't know if it's called boiled wool or not, but you can do it in the washer, if you have the right type of washer. I just can't recall the name of it right now, that it's called by. OH! :!: "Felted"??????? Is that the word?

I have 2 felted knitted rolled brim hats my Dsis gave me. :P I don't think my washer's the right type to be able to do it, but I've got a pattern for a felted hat. :idea: Maybe I'll try it in Jan. after the holidays are over. :idea: I like felted totes, too.

I will work on the Christmas colors potholders on & off today, some more, too. :idea:

Nancy

Postby Nancy » Mon May 26, 2014 3:51 pm

I am working on pot holders and dish clothes. Yep I did look on Ravlery that is where I got one of the patterns that was making me tear my hair out.

Ivy

Postby Ivy » Mon May 26, 2014 7:59 pm

:lol: :arrow: Sometimes, at Ravalry, I see patterns, which are great for dgd, but they're on sale for $. I prefer free ones. Also, many patterns are marvelous, but they're from foreign countries & not in our language. I "heard" you can get a translator somehow, from "Google," but I've never used it, don't know how, & put off trying because it sounds like more effort than I could stand. :roll:

But some of the foreign patterns are beautiful, from Japan & Poland. :P

The 1 I'm currently doing are potholders from Norwegian translated into Old English & Old English is "bad enough," but oh, no! It just HAD to be translated from Norwegian. :lol: So what I end up with is trying to meld the 2, use my imagination thinking cap & it's working for me. They threw me when they first said "Treble", which means DC in Norwegian OR Old English. :?: But the stitches in the photos show DC ones. As I have worked onto 6 rounds now, it all falls together so lovely & this is a pattern I'll use again and again. :idea: It would be nice making in in 2 solid colors: 1 row white, 1 row black, for instance, or use one of their photo ideas, which are rounds looking like rainbow colors. Also, I'm thinking how if I got it to the size of a CD disc, I could make it into a CD hot pad or coaster. I love CD coasters because they don't let drips through, as opposed to 1 single side of P 'n' C crocheted coasters.

If you pull enough hair out, over a pattern, Nancy, you could make it into yarn & spin it. :idea: ;)

Nancy

Postby Nancy » Tue May 27, 2014 9:24 am

I tried spinning a bit of hu m an hair is was scratchy.
Dish cloth is done now.
Last edited by Nancy on Tue May 27, 2014 10:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Nancy

Postby Nancy » Tue May 27, 2014 3:18 pm

http://www.simplynotable.com/2013/the-a ... h-pattern/

A pen - friend suggested the above pattern I saw it in u tube.

Ivy

Postby Ivy » Tue May 27, 2014 7:53 pm

That's very pretty. I don't knit. I sure wish I did/could, but my attempts at teaching myself have failed. :roll: :oops: :o

I got 1-Lb. white P 'n' C cone at Walmart today & 1-Lb. white/with colors (same as my facecloths yarn color cone) for kitchen mats. Picked up 2 balls of variegated P 'n' C Christmas red-white-green yarn, too, to make BFF's yarn go further for her Christmas gift.

Got 1 skein rose, to go with my 1-Lb. rose acrylic yarn for dgd's Christmas Butterfly Granny afghan. Also, found variegated 2 skeins of rose-pink-burguny yarn for edging the afghan. Will tie in with the afghan colors & be so PRETTY! :mrgreen: :!: :P

Nancy

Postby Nancy » Tue May 27, 2014 10:15 pm

Next dish cloth half done.

Return to “The Creative Home”