Art, Craft and Needlework, May, 2014

A place for Artistry, Crafts and Needlework; Decorating and Holidays.
Ivy

Re: Art, Craft and Needlework, May, 2014

Postby Ivy » Sat May 17, 2014 11:13 pm

I made my Christmas crochet gift list:
These are for dgd-16 mos., dgs-3, & dgs-5:
1- 1 afghan each
2- butterfly pillow for dgd
3- frog pillow for dgs-5
4- lion pillow for dgs-3
5- butterfly stuffed toy for dgd
6- puppet for each of the 2 dgs
7- scarfs with hand puppets at the end of each scarf, for the 2 dgs
8- a vest or sweater for dgd
9- a kitchen crochet P 'n' C Christmas colors set for BFF: Hanging dishtowel, multicolor fancy decorative-only potholders (an old pattern), dishcloths, & perhaps a hot pad.

We give $ to all our grands, adult kids, d-i-l, & DH & I didn't exchange last year. But we feel the little 3 grands don't have the "concept" of $$, so allow their parents to buy them what they need/want. This is why I do the gifts crocheted for them, because they don't understand being handed a bill inside a card. The pillows are adorable, dgd's butter fly afghan, pillow, & toy will all match that "theme." The kids love what I make & BFF ADORES my crochet work! She love-love-loves items crocheted for her kitchen, too. I'm being extra generous with her this year because we've become so much closer now.

Occasionally, I'll mail dishcloths, a hat, or potholders to a pen pal, too. :idea: I feel much more relaxed about Christmas now that I've written my list on a "December" Christmas-theme list pad, too. It's in my end table drawer on top of list pads, so I see it DAILY, to keep me motivated & reminded, too.

Oh! I wanted to post that so far, with my latest new cone of P 'n' C kitchen 100% cotton yarn, I've gotten 11 facecloths. I'm crocheting #12 right now. I "might" be able to get 15 - 18 out of the cone. :idea: I enjoy the feel of cotton against my fingers, as I crochet. The natural fiber is soft & feels good, to me.

Dgson-17, was 16 last summer. He has a iPhone. (I think it's called.) :?: :oops: He went to You Tube, to watch demos of BFF DMC cotton embroidery thread bracelets being made. They looked like Native American patterns. One was MC white with red & black CC. It was so very beautiful. He's amazing. He started college at age 16.5 in Sept. 2013. He's studying to become a pharmacist. :mrgreen:
Touch the earth, love the earth, her plains, her valleys, her seas. Rest your soul in her solitary places. ~Henry Beston

Nancy
Location: Washington state in the Pacific Northwestern part of the USA.

Postby Nancy » Wed May 21, 2014 10:51 pm

Ivy dgson 17 amazing!
ToddlerN handed my the gizzmo to make friendship bracelets today she wanted another one so we did tie yarn collars on some of the stuffed toys!

I am trying to do a crocheted triangle shaped shawl that I started? Ivy thanks for the input about having beige yarn on hand to mix in it is perfect for this one!.

Make mittens and socks is on tbe Christmas list.
I have fiber to spin and more on order to blend.

Ivy

Postby Ivy » Thu May 22, 2014 12:56 am

Nancy, I had a friend who's dog was hairy, but had the most beautiful coat. She'd brush him nightly, saved his hair & took it to a lady who spun it into yarn for her. My friend is a prolific knitter, knitted a wonderful cable knit afghan from the dog fur yarn & oh, my! What a beauty it was! Grey, so beautiful with the different shades of grey in it, very heavy & very warm to hold. :idea:

Yarn collars on some stuffed toys sounds cute. It'll add personality. ;)

I'm glad you had beige yarn on hand for your triangle shaped shawl. :)

I crochet on a facecloth, but haven't finished it, since I've been writing letters.

I got out a legal pad, to make the title: BUTTERFLY AFGHAN on it. Then, I'll write an itemized list, step by step, from beginning to the end, what all needs to be done to finish this project. :idea: I feel by taking bite-sized pieces of it, it'll not be as overwhelming as looking at the whole tote full of yarn & the pattern. With the boys' afghans, I'm just using a variety of "stash yarn" here, to stripe a 50" x 50" Easy Patterned Throw, from "Crochet Me," website. It's a tight weave, it's a no-brainer to do it, I can memorize it easily, & doing it in random stripes takes the monotony out of it for me, & makes it more fun to do. If I find there's a color I could use, I'll go buy a pound at Joann's. I, too, like using beige, off-white, black on boys' afghans like this, to make the yarns go a bit further. Also, I've found, if I have 3 Lbs. of 1 color, I can use it as a MC on an afghan. :idea:
Touch the earth, love the earth, her plains, her valleys, her seas. Rest your soul in her solitary places. ~Henry Beston

Harriet

Postby Harriet » Thu May 22, 2014 10:30 am

Have pressed
a mystery flower from a pretty yellow bush,
also honeysuckle,
"sweet bush" white flower blossoms,
and an unusual purple flower of a little weed.

Never could find the bit of fern again, even though I went over that low section while out walking several times. And then, lo and behold, was weeding near my front steps and there is a little fern, volunteering! What a present! But it is so tiny that I hate to bother it. I may just take one leaf (frond ?) and leave the rest to grow. This would be called a "native woodland fern", very tiny and not cultivated. They make wonderful additions to bookmark pressed flower arrangements because they are long and thin.

BookSaver
Administrator

Postby BookSaver » Thu May 22, 2014 11:10 am

I have crocheted a few more dishcloths using the "tulip" pattern I posted at the beginning of the month.

The original hook I used was not comfortable to hold. The smaller hook I had on hand was too small for the yarn. I don't want to make a special trip out of town just for a crochet hook, so I have been adjusting the pattern with a larger hook.

It's a pretty pattern and I like the bright colors in the variegated yarn. It is nice hand work for when I'm watching something on tv.

Nancy

Postby Nancy » Thu May 22, 2014 9:36 pm

I spun up dog hair washed it and it smelled like a wet dog ugh! The triange was not turning out so I have been reworking it.

Ivy

Postby Ivy » Thu May 22, 2014 11:35 pm

I'm nearing the end of my one-Lb. cone of P 'n' C yarn with crocheting facecloths from it. :P

Ivy

Postby Ivy » Fri May 23, 2014 10:37 pm

I got out cones of Christmas colors for BFF's kitchen. The kitchen set will consist of:

- 1 hanging dishtowel in variegated green-red-white.
- 1 pr. of fancy decorative-only (they're too holey to use!) potholders in red, green, & white.
- 2 - 3 dishcloths
- 1 possible hot pad

I continue to crochet on facecloths. I believe I have only 2 to go & then I'll have a drawer with 2 stacks of them in it, for my face! :!: :P The color's are so pretty! Mainly white, then every 1" or so, there is 1/2" of yellow, or deep cobalt, or bright apple green. It crochets the facecloths into such a beautiful color.

I'm finding that Joann's, here, charges double what Walmart does for their 1-Lb. cones. It makes going to Walmart a treat to find a new color. I enjoy making those origami fold-in-on-itself potholders, too. They can have a round Cobone ring sewn to them, for a professional look or a crocheted loop. When I do my loops, I chain about 12 - 14 chains, then slip stitch in the same stitch as the beginning chain or as close to it as I can get; then I turn my potholder, add as many SC's as I can, over the chain, to make a more rugged & stronger loop, rather than by just leaving it a plain old chained loop. I sometimes think, I wonder what wooden rings sewn to the potholders would look like, too. :?: I bet it'd be nice. I've heard that Cabone rings can wash & dry just fine in the washer & dryer, too. :idea: Does anyone know for sure? :?:

Nancy

Postby Nancy » Sat May 24, 2014 11:31 am

I like the quality of sug. & cream better than the last p & c that I got. I do like to find new colors too. I need a new pattern that I can do. Sigh the last two did not workout had to frog 'em.

Ivy

Postby Ivy » Sat May 24, 2014 1:51 pm

Have you looked at Ravalry for new patterns, Nancy? :?:

I got 14 facecloths out of my 1 Lb. cone of P 'n' C. I'm so HAPPY! :mrgreen:

I printed up a scalloped potholder pattern by Priscilla's site, from Ravelry. There are 8 rounds. Here's the pattern of colors of each round I'll be doing:
Rnd. 1: Red
Rnd. 2: White
Rnd. 3: Green
Rnd. 4: Variegated red-white-green
Rnd. 5: Red
Rnd. 6: White
Rnd. 7: Green
Rnd. 8: Variegated red-white-green
Joining edging will be variegated red-white-green.

If there's enough Christmas kitchen yarns leftover, I'll make a hanging dishtowel. If there's not enough, I'll need to go buy a Christmas color. I'm thinking about solid red & solid white to make it with a red or white big button. :idea:

I hope to finish BFF's holiday gifts first, before going on to do the dgd's or dgsons' afghans. One part of me wants to do the 2 grson's afghans before the complicated-looking dgd afghan. :idea: But, too, since it's squares, I can do squares at random to break up monotony of other projects. The sky's the limit. :P

Return to “The Creative Home”