Art, Craft and Needlework June 2014

A place for Artistry, Crafts and Needlework; Decorating and Holidays.
Nancy
Location: Washington state in the Pacific Northwestern part of the USA.

Re: Art, Craft and Needlework June 2014

Postby Nancy » Sat Jun 07, 2014 8:44 am

Free pattern page I just tried it.
http://verypink.com/category/free-patterns/

Ivy

Postby Ivy » Sat Jun 07, 2014 12:39 pm

I like the looks of the free learn-to-knit dishcloth pattern. I also, browsed through the patterns. I didn't know you could make knitting look like crochet. :?:
Touch the earth, love the earth, her plains, her valleys, her seas. Rest your soul in her solitary places. ~Henry Beston

Nancy

Postby Nancy » Sat Jun 07, 2014 12:49 pm

I do the round and round single crochet pot square holders but no link for em. Hubby's granny showed me how eons ago. I think it is like the ones Ivy makes.
Last edited by Nancy on Mon Jun 16, 2014 10:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ivy

Postby Ivy » Sat Jun 07, 2014 5:02 pm

Nancy, Those potholders have patterns on-line, but they call them different names, like origami potholders. Sometimes they're called "simple potholders" and other simple names.

I used to try to chain a 37-chain before I started going around the other side, but it made them too small. Now, I use a "G" hook, so the stitch is tighter and more protective from the heat, for those who use them. I generally chain 100 now, I believe, so it's a good size a man can use, too. I chain, "eye-ball" it, and take it from there.

Bev from [url][url]www.bevscountrycottage.com[/url][/url]has a pattern of those potholders at her site, too. :idea:
Touch the earth, love the earth, her plains, her valleys, her seas. Rest your soul in her solitary places. ~Henry Beston

Harriet

Postby Harriet » Sat Jun 07, 2014 9:21 pm

Some of those dishcloths have such pretty patterns. They would work great for dollhouse afghans on miniature beds or on the back of miniature couches, wouldn't they?

I didn't even know those little shamrock-like plants, "wood sorrel", HAD flowers, but some of the ones near our walkway were showing a few tiny, fragile blooms and I "captured" by pressing, along with some leaves. Learning about plants, seeing little things I've never noticed before.

Did not end up pressing ferns after all. Hmmm... .... when looking closer at the plant, they had spores all over the back of the leaves. (for reproducing) So I thought, what business is it of mine to interrupt that for the one and only plant like it that I can even find right now. So I wish it well. It deserves babies more than I deserve a pretty leaf.

Nancy

Postby Nancy » Sat Jun 07, 2014 10:14 pm

Yep these are the ones that I do.
http://www.bevscountrycottage.com/kitch ... lders.html

At the spinning meeting One gal was making the star dish shaped cloths only hers looked like I wanted mine to! LOL!

BookSaver
Administrator

Postby BookSaver » Sun Jun 08, 2014 10:40 am

I've been so busy with the library's book sale that I haven't done much thinking yet about which sewing projects to take to the sewing group's day camp on Thursday & Friday.

Last weekend one of the sewing programs on public tv showed a simple top for summer that can be made without a special pattern. I need to check my fabric stash to see if I have the right kind of lightweight stretchy knit fabric to make the top. I don't want to buy more fabric, but the only pieces I've found so far are too heavy for summer.

Ivy

Postby Ivy » Sun Jun 08, 2014 2:31 pm

Booksaver , DDIL goes to Pintrest to get ideas for making dgd clothes, making totes, infinity scarves from ruffled material, etc... I don't know HOW she does it, but she makes up patterns, sews, creates and it's beautiful!

Nancy , Yes! :!: THOSE are the potholders! I have a pattern leaflet with the similar pattern, but with different stitches and they have a potholder, placemat, and afghan in it. Maybe coasters, too. I made one of the hot pads, which turned out beautiful in variegated yarn, P 'n' C. :idea: :P

Nancy

Postby Nancy » Sun Jun 08, 2014 5:23 pm

Toying with the idea of a spinning wheel again the one I like costs as much as a small used car! Sheesh.

Net is acting up here just now.

I am working on a round tote this time.

Played with fiber carded up some & I spun a tiny bit too. The star burst dish cloth success still evades me but I am NOT giving up on this.
Last edited by Nancy on Mon Jun 16, 2014 10:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Harriet

Postby Harriet » Sun Jun 08, 2014 6:03 pm

Dd15 took an old horizontal-striped top with a wide solid-color band at the bottom, all knit fabric. She made a toboggan (teens say "beanie") out of it, going by an online how-to video. The solid band goes around the bottom of the beanie. Beanies are so popular now - strange to me because they've been ignored for years. Fashion is fickle!

Return to “The Creative Home”