Art, Craft and Needlework June 2014

A place for Artistry, Crafts and Needlework; Decorating and Holidays.
Nancy
Location: Washington state in the Pacific Northwestern part of the USA.

Re: Art, Craft and Needlework June 2014

Postby Nancy » Mon Jun 09, 2014 8:00 pm

I found a reminent of flannel, with some monkey print the toddlern loves 'em I made up two totes they still need handles.
Last edited by Nancy on Thu Jun 12, 2014 3:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ivy

Postby Ivy » Mon Jun 09, 2014 8:36 pm

What a fun cute print!

I haven't crocheted in ages.

I'm wondering when I'll have time to teach myself Crochenit a. k. a. Crohook? :?:

Also, have patterns, scraps, and ideas for fabric yo-yo's projects. :idea: The same goes for lap quilting.

Also, would love to teach myself how to knit a simple dishcloth without losing my stitches! :lol:

Hoping to get to Christmas potholders for a DFriend soon, too. I only have 2 rounds on 1 side to do and I'll have 1 side done. :) But I'll need 6 sides for 2 potholders and 1 hot pad. Maybe if I use my timer? :?:
Touch the earth, love the earth, her plains, her valleys, her seas. Rest your soul in her solitary places. ~Henry Beston

Nancy

Postby Nancy » Tue Jun 10, 2014 9:43 am

Finally getting the dish cloth star pattern love having progress on that had to knit 2 together to get a whole clo sed up that the pattern did not specify.

Gift basket stuffer is at to toddlern's soon to be step mom's now and she loved some of the baskets for flower girls I found at the thrift shop this weekend.

:)

Last night I finished the draw strings for monkey print tote bag a project made yesterday those are done now!

Got a batch of wool ready to card up also my elbow is sore glad to have a day off from that it hurts to type as well.
Last edited by Nancy on Mon Jun 16, 2014 10:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ivy

Postby Ivy » Tue Jun 10, 2014 11:59 pm

I've seen nice baskets at The Dollar Tree here, too, [b]Nancy[/b] . :idea:

Who gets the monkey print tote bag? :?:

Sorry about the sore elbow, too. :(

I need to get to those Christmas potholders. It'll be December before I get there! :roll: (JUST KIDDING) :!: ;)

Will try to make a Granny square on the butterfly afghan for dgd-17-months, every day that dgson-17 is here from the 22nd - 28th. Let's see.... That's 7 squares. I can do THAT! :idea: :!: :mrgreen:
Touch the earth, love the earth, her plains, her valleys, her seas. Rest your soul in her solitary places. ~Henry Beston

Nancy

Postby Nancy » Wed Jun 11, 2014 9:10 am

I made 2 monkey print bags for the younger girls.
Not sure who gets the bigger crochet ones yet.
Finished the star dish cloth not an easy pattern to follow but turned out better than the last one! :mrgreen:

Ivy

Postby Ivy » Wed Jun 11, 2014 12:40 pm

WTG on the totes and monkey totes.
I hope you'll be able to find a used spinning wheel. Ever think of Craig's list or asking at a yarn shop if someone has one to sell? That might work. :idea:
Are the totes and monkey totes for Christmas gifts or are they anytime "just because" gifts? Birthday? :?:

Nancy

Postby Nancy » Wed Jun 11, 2014 2:49 pm

One gal in the spinning group has one wheel for sale & lives not far less than 3 mi. Is on va. So I need to get a hold of her.

Repair parts for loom I think I can got for less than I thought just need a metal stainless rod and canvas for the ripped loom front apron.
Last edited by Nancy on Thu Jun 12, 2014 3:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ivy

Postby Ivy » Thu Jun 12, 2014 1:24 pm

I hope the spinning gal on vacation gets home soon because her old spinning wheel may have a home with you!

Are you weaving on a loom, too?

I have a dfriend who weaves mats for her office, scarves, etc.... :idea: Uses beautiful yarns, too. ♥

BookSaver
Administrator

Postby BookSaver » Sun Jun 15, 2014 2:25 pm

Projects at sewing day camp Thursday & Friday:
1) Spent rather a long time cleaning the machine to get out dust, thread bits, and lint.

2) 2 potholders, both in heavy cotton fabric print with strawberries.

Yellow background used a simple pattern for a heart-shaped hot pad.
http://leafytreetopspot.blogspot.com/20 ... orial.html
Except I forgot to take rickrack for the edge or ribbon for a hanging loop, so I went without. For the quilting lines, I did vertical stitching on the side that is a full heart, but on the half-heart I stitched diagonal lines.

It turned out really cute. However, I want to test it on my pans before making more, to confirm that I cut the right size.

Since the heart pattern took extra time, I just did a simple square potholder with the fabric with strawberries on pink background.

3) Knit top from a sewing program on public tv: I drafted the pattern from the online instructions and cut out the fabric. I did some test stitches to check tension & stitch length. Doing that made me realize that the fabric is a little too heavy for a summer top. I set it aside to finish another time for autumn, and will look for lighter fabric for a summer version.

4) Origami blouse which I had cut out previously: Half done. Need to decide on a neckline design before I can do any more.

5) Gloves: Found the bag with the pattern and fabric. Tried to figure out how to cut the fabric pieces, but it's quite complicated and I ran out of time.

6) Put the thread spools and bobbins for each project into snack-size ziplock bags with labels so I'll know which colors I used where. Will save time matching colors later, especially for the 2 tops which need the blue threads which look the same under artificial light but are quite different in natural sunlight.

7) Conversations with friends who I haven't seen for a few months. Helped some of the others when they asked for my advice. Cooked one of the meals that everyone said they liked, and a few wrote down the recipe. Washed a lot of dishes. Admired everyone else's projects.

Nancy

Postby Nancy » Mon Jun 16, 2014 1:56 pm

I have spun up light & dark purple into single ply it is ready to ply into yarn now. I am working up pink this week.
I finished up a starburst dish cloth today started another one from the same cone in white with a grey fleck.
Last edited by Nancy on Mon Jun 16, 2014 10:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “The Creative Home”