Art, Craft and Needlework July 2014

A place for Artistry, Crafts and Needlework; Decorating and Holidays.
FelineFriend

Re: Art, Craft and Needlework July 2014

Postby FelineFriend » Sat Jul 26, 2014 8:27 pm

:D Nancy, Your rainbow dishcloth reminded me of something neat that happened to me today. :!: I have a pen pal in her 80's, who made me a rainbow thread crochet bookmark with a forest green 1/8" long ribbon on it. It's so pretty. :P She says that she can only make lightweight small projects now because afghans are too heavy on her now. I'll ask her if she knits, too, or if she ever crochets dishcloths or hats, because they're small, too. :idea: Her workmanship was so impeccable and perfect. Wow! 8-)

I have a very difficult time seeing small work and coordinating my fingers/thumbs, when crocheting with the tiny hooks, so found I can't do thread crochet. However, if I use a skinny/little hook, with baby yarn or sport yarn to crochet Barbie clothes, I CAN do that. :mrgreen: I think it's because the yarn's more yarn-like and stretchy, whereas the thread doesn't stretch, so the gauge needs to be tighter. I can't seem to keep the gauge tight on the thread because I'm practically looking cross-eyed at it and it's sliding off my fingers/thumbs. :lol:

I've found that crocheting up bulky yarn is a lot of fun. It's nice, too, because the projects are so very warm and in no time at all, they're completed. Also, 2-strand projects are fun for me, because it's like bulky projects, except you're using 2 strands. For 2-strand projects, it's fun to do 1 strand variegated and 1 strand a solid matching or contrasting color. :idea: Also, it's fun to do 2 CC together or 2 colors the same color. You can get all sorts of different effects using 2-strands. :idea:
"Start where you are. Use what you have. Do what you can." ~ Arthur Ashe

Nancy
Location: Washington state in the Pacific Northwestern part of the USA.

Postby Nancy » Sat Jul 26, 2014 8:43 pm

Ff I enjoy reading about your project ideas.
I finished the rainbow and white dis cloth, and started the next one a mate to the set.

FelineFriend

Postby FelineFriend » Sat Jul 26, 2014 9:47 pm

Nancy, I enjoy reading about your projects, too. :D I think by reading about your projects here, your ideas bounce off me, although I don't knit yet. I respect how proactive and disciplined you are, in getting things finished. I tend to "switch tasks", so I won't get bored or start making mistakes because of things being repetitive. Especially when I'm rushing. I start making mistakes then. If I set it aside, to let it "rest" for 1 - 2 days, then go back to it again, I have "fresh eyes" and then I start feeling the project is "refreshing" to me and it goes easier. I do this with writing stories, as well as with crochet. They say that it's a good thing to "switch tasks" to try something new or different because it helps the brain "tweak" and be more alert. I've heard it helps fight against dementia and Alzheimer's, too. It's sort of like that with children. If they get bored with one thing, they might get too tired or bored, and then act up or act out, but if you have them "switch tasks" it keeps their minds alive and renewed. It's like that old quote, "Variety is the spice of life." :idea:

Do you sew with a sewing machine, too? :?: I have 1, but rarely use it, enjoy sewing by hand, and sometimes I rubber stamp cards, make corner page bookmarks or longer bookmarks. It's amazing what a paper cutter and card stock and a few marking pens and stickers will do, along with those paper white doilies. :idea: I have started a scrap book, of my childhood photos, but never have finished it. Maybe in the New Year, when the Christmas gifts are done, I'll sit at the dining room pub table and work on it in there, where it's warmer from the fireplace insert. The bunny room's very cold in the winter months because of two very high large windows and an extra high ceiling. If I go in there, in the winter, I have to run the space heater and wear sweats with wrist warmers, too.

Nancy
Location: Washington state in the Pacific Northwestern part of the USA.

Postby Nancy » Sat Jul 26, 2014 10:14 pm

I have a sewing machine. I use rarely. In aug. Typically when it is hot out I head to the cave basement to sew some simple wardrobe additions. I just rinsed out fun bright fish print think nemo disney type colors and designs it is hanging outside to dry now. It could be curtisns or a table cloth or fun top to wear when kids are here.

Knitting 4 rows and tne doing a few things room by room tonight.
Last edited by Nancy on Mon Jul 28, 2014 11:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

FelineFriend

Postby FelineFriend » Sun Jul 27, 2014 10:54 pm

Nancy (& others) Have you ever done Crochetnit or double-ended crochet hook projects? Or a. k. a. Cro-hook? :?:

Once, I got a demo from a relative, who's deceased now, how to Cro-hook afghans. I made 1 in red and black, gave it to Dgs-17.5 and it was several years ago when he was small. Now, the DD of the deceased relative, is in CO and I'm in WA. She's written directions, to what she was told is called "The Mormon Stitch," for the double-ended Cro-hooked afghans. I can't make heads or tails out of it now. :oops: I don't know what's wrong with me. :roll:

Then, I've got a Crochenit hook, from Annie's Attic, a few pattern leaflets, which I ordered with it, but when I tried a dishcloth, it was so "loose & holey" that it'd make the worst-in-the-world dishcloth OR facecloth. I realize my tension's way too loose.

Also, I've got some Tunisian crochet patterns, for simple items, have an afghan hook, too. I enjoy doing that stitch, but never got to the stage of how to bind off the project, once made. I guess in the New Year, or this year, when all the Christmas crochet is done, I should familiarize myself with The Mormon Stitch, Crochenit/Cro-hook and Tunisian projects. :idea:

2 other projects on my mental mind list are:
1- To bring out my scraps and Barbie doll patterns, hand sew Barbie some clothes.
2- To try my hand at lap-quilting because I have ALL the supplies and TONS of instructional books.
I'm just short on time, from writing stories, self-care, care of the house AND Christmas crochet, at the moment. Summers are quite busy with dgs's visiting.

FelineFriend

Postby FelineFriend » Wed Jul 30, 2014 8:28 pm

Been crocheting Dgs-5.5's Christmas afghan. It looks nice. :mrgreen:

FelineFriend

Postby FelineFriend » Thu Jul 31, 2014 5:34 pm

I bought 2-Lbs. of red Caron One Pound yarn at Joann's today.
I got a tote to carry it in, too.
The afghan's so fun to do because the stripes are at random and pleasing to the eyes.

They were out of "Loopy" refills. :( I'll look again another time for them.

Return to “The Creative Home”