Art, Craft and Needlework July 2014

A place for Artistry, Crafts and Needlework; Decorating and Holidays.
Harriet

Art, Craft and Needlework July 2014

Postby Harriet » Tue Jul 01, 2014 9:41 am

There is no right or wrong when it comes to making art.
Making sure that you have fun is the most important part.
Splash a little paint. Draw a little line.
Just make sure that you have fun each and every time.

- Mickey Mouse

Nancy
Location: Washington state in the Pacific Northwestern part of the USA.

Re: Art, Craft and Needlework July 2014

Postby Nancy » Tue Jul 01, 2014 10:37 am

Finished the dish cloth last night so started another one using the same cone. Happy to get this stash replenished

I will be doing some Christmas in July / holiday focus. I have red white and green yarn to do up this mo. Sewing up gift bags in the cool basement during the heat too.

Nancy

Postby Nancy » Wed Jul 02, 2014 7:38 pm

I have 2 red, white and green dish cloths ready to sew together.
Cool I can post to fb from here.

FelineFriend

Postby FelineFriend » Fri Jul 04, 2014 9:21 pm

I'm working on raspberry-centered white Granny squares. The center is 1 row/round raspberry, followed by 4 rounds of white, then 1 Granny row of raspberry and finally ending with white HDC in each stitch and chain around with ch-2 in the corners between 3 HDC in each previous stitch in the raspberry round below.

After all 15 of these particular squares are done, I'll make Grannies with 5-rounds white, 1 round raspberry, followed by the HDC white round. Then, I get to make 15 pink butterflies edged in raspberry, will sew them into these particular Grannies and after they're all attached, I get to assemble the afghan 5-squares across, 6-squares down. The edging will be HDC in various colors: White, Pink, Raspberry, and "Plum Pudding," by Red Heart Super Saver. I'll bag it up, put it into my hope chest my ds-dad gave me when he married Dmom. :D He never had a daughter, but he had a hope chest.

After dgd's butterfly afghan's done, I'll start the Diagnonal Granny Afghan in stripes at random, using red as a MC for 1, and blues as a MC for the other one.

I have my red, white and green tablecloth on the table to help celebrate "Christmas in July," too. ;)

Happy Crocheting, Knitting, Sewing, and Crafting to ALL of you! :D
"Start where you are. Use what you have. Do what you can." ~ Arthur Ashe

dearduckyducky

Postby dearduckyducky » Sat Jul 05, 2014 11:25 am

*sigh* I miss my crafting time!

Between work/life I haven't had time to work on my crafts in months! I really need to work that back in again. Of course, it would help if most of my craft stuff wasn't in storage or hard to get to. :roll: Home remodeling is coming soon according to hubby. If/When that happens, I'll have my very own craft room!

I did manage to knit a few rows on a pencil scarf while we were on vacation. I used to knit or crochet every day! I miss it.

FelineFriend

Postby FelineFriend » Sat Jul 05, 2014 8:12 pm

I'm at the stage on 13 squares (2 are done) where I'll add the raspberry round. :)

BookSaver
Administrator

Postby BookSaver » Mon Jul 07, 2014 9:33 am

I made up a new game for the library's LEGO Club which meets Wednesday.

Our original theme on the schedule was "2 cups of random pieces." That sounded good a few months ago when we planned the summer schedule, but I thought it needed a little boost.

I made a up a "mystery project" game. We have a stack of clear plastic disposable food containers with lids. I researched and printed the build instructions for a bunch of small projects. I have put at least 1 project, sometimes 2, in each container. Then I put in a bunch of random parts to fill the container.

Each container will also get at least 1 minifigure as soon as the other volunteer brings them back to the library. (She took them home so her sons could assemble them all to see how many we have, and how many body parts we're missing.)

I put a number label on each container and made a list of the projects. The game will be to see what the kids will build using the parts in the container, and then show them the picture of the original project. It will be fun to see if they are similar or totally different. There are no wrong answers.

The kids will be able to choose which container they want to do, so they will be able to see the colors and which special pieces are there. In addition to the pieces in the container, we will also let them use pieces from our bins for base plates, medium plates, wheels, slopers (roof pieces), doors, windows, the smallest bricks (which can be combined to make larger bricks), and the box of misc. little decorative pieces.

I was going to fill 40 bins to make sure we had enough for each kid to have 2, but the prep work took so much longer than I thought it would, so I stopped at 20. Part of what took so long was that I had to spend Wednesday & Thursday afternoons just sorting the pieces to see what we have. I couldn't use some of the cool projects instructions because they need particular shaped pieces we don't have, nor could I figure out substitutions.

I spent a couple hours filling containers Saturday before I got the call from my sister that DMom broke her hip; I left the mess with a note saying I'd had a family emergency, and took a chance that no one would bother the LEGO. I went back yesterday at 9 a.m. and worked until 8 p.m. with a 2 hour lunch break.

Oh, the other volunteer also took home the doors & windows because several were sticky and she wanted to wash them. (She has been sanitizing them after meetings with Lysol spray, but we think it's leaving a sticky residue on some of the plastics.) Once she brings back those 2 boxes of pieces, it will probably take an hour to finish filling the containers and then tape them shut.

The best thing is, now I should not have to go in between meetings to do any prep work for the rest of this month. The themes for the next 3 weeks will be build a birdhouse, a maze, and an undersea coral reef. We aren't going to be strict about using those, and the kids can build something else if they want to. I will sort pieces during the meeting time, but I have a medium size bin labeled "unsorted" so I won't stress about getting everything put away each week.

For the maze theme, I'm going to print some coloring pages from online so the kids can either copy the patterns or make up their own. I can do that here at home, though, from my own comfy chair.

What else did people ask in PWYC? Hmm ... oh, FelineFriend asked about ages. We have been having kids ages 2 to 14, plus some of the parents stay and build. (We have big Duplo blocks for the toddlers plus some soft toys.) They've been coming from 3 counties. Our target age is 8-14, old enough to read but not old enough to drive. The library already does a lot of other programming for the 2- to 8-year-olds with story times and craft/coloring activities.

Not as many kids have been coming during the summer, but there are so many other activities going on and, of course, people are going away on vacations. We've been seeing flyers around town for lots of sports and church camps. The children's librarian said last week that the numbers are down this year for all of her summer activities. There are some kids who come every time, but we've also had newcomers each time.

June & July hours have been Wednesdays from 2:00 to 3:30, with last week off for the holiday. We will not be doing LEGO Club in August. In September, we'll go back to our original schedule of once a month, the 3rd Wednesday, from 3:30 to 4:45.

Anyway, my creativity goal now for the rest of the summer is to get back to sewing. I want to finish the summer blouse I started last month before summer is over! ;)

Nancy

Postby Nancy » Mon Jul 07, 2014 9:41 am

I really enjoyed the spinning meeting this weekend and finished up the dish clothes that I had that needed seamed. Happy with my skill improving on these yea!

FF your project sounds fabulous!

Booksaver sorting lego army guys transormers or what ever they are called is what dgson gets side tracked with and takes so long and he can not get his room leaned. All those pieces ack!

Harriet

Postby Harriet » Mon Jul 07, 2014 12:11 pm

I really like the mystery projects idea, BookSaver. At first I thought you meant the same project in containers for lots of kids and then I realized you meant unique projects in each container, which is better.

Nancy, HRH thinks we make a mistake by carpeting kids rooms. He thinks kids could keep their rooms nice if they could just sweep toys into piles on a smooth floor surface and sit at one spot with the pile to work from there, organizing fast. And then the kid can understand wiping up a smooth surface - no stains. With anything strewn over a carpet, it takes more effort to go around picking up and can end up being individually picking up, discouraging. Of course, carpet keeps down noise, so it can be a good thing.

FelineFriend

Postby FelineFriend » Mon Jul 07, 2014 12:51 pm

Booksaver, Your Lego explanation sounds like so much fun, work, too, but the fun of it balances out the work. ;) Thanks for sharing about it. :D

Yes, Nancy, it's a fun project. ;)

If I get some writing done, I'll relax with some crochet today. :D

Return to “The Creative Home”