Art, Craft and Needlework July 2014

A place for Artistry, Crafts and Needlework; Decorating and Holidays.
FelineFriend

Re: Art, Craft and Needlework July 2014

Postby FelineFriend » Sat Jul 12, 2014 8:27 pm

:D [b]Nancy[/b], It's great that you have Family who celebrate Jewish holidays. :D It makes holidays and celebrations all that more special because you get to help enjoy both faiths, other than just one. :idea:

I put away my 2 yarn totes with Christmas crochet projects, because Dson and 3 Dgs's came to pick up Dgs-15.5. I didn't want to spoil any surprises, so this evening, I'll get things out, but I'll organize them better, make the organizing tidier and more creative so it goes easier, faster, and is more productive and more fun for me to do it. :idea:

I put 2 Lbs. of 2 different colors in a tote, which DH got 2 for free at Safeway because he paid $50+ in groceries. We have a new county-wide law that plastic bags can no longer be used. DH uses Flylady's shopping bags. They're so wonderful, especially the black insulated ones which zip closed. Since he got the 2 free grocery totes, he said he's given them to me because he thought about me and my yarn projects. I put a legal pad, telling me the break-down of steps, to complete this Granny afghan project. I have the pattern bull-clipped to it with my index card, telling me MY version of how I'm doing the pattern. The original pattern had totally loose, lacy, flimsy too-holey squares, which were rectangles. My method of changing the pattern into 8 x 8" squares, with the Granny stitch, makes it more solid, firm, and warmer. It'll be more rugged and able to take wear and tear.

Also, the boys' afghans have been changed from the diagonal Granny to a lapghan/afghan stitch that's thicker, warmer, and I can stripe it at random. I made it before, in burgundy, white, grey, and black for another Dgs. I loved the stitch because it's easily memorized, to become a "brain-dead" afghan. :D
"Start where you are. Use what you have. Do what you can." ~ Arthur Ashe

Harriet

Postby Harriet » Sun Jul 13, 2014 7:32 pm

Pinterest - oh, yes there is so much to see there that it boggles the mind. Ideas for having ideas, almost! I also look there but I have to guard against getting discouraged that there is so much I don't have time to do!

Thanks so much for kind words about dd15's sketching, helia, Nancy, and FFriend. FFriend, I didn't think about your dgs visiting and that's nice that he noticed it.

helia, I remember that lovely songbird art by your dd that you had posted, so serene and delicate. My dd tends to stick with people as subjects, to the point we ask her, "where's the background?" or "what is the landscape for these people?" She still does casual or cheery sketches, too, but part of the reason for a more serious style lately is that she is working on hands in proportion, in unusual poses, etc.

Focus on detailed hands tends to make a sketch more dramatic. A few days back she drew long, thin fingers wrapped around a lidded coffeeshop cup, to work on proportions, and then it was boring, so she drew a spill of coffee falling out of it, and then the sad face of a preoccupied guy who might not have noticed he spilled coffee! LOL, I guess I should be glad there was something besides a person in the sketch.

I have been tackling the hemming and mending lately - not exactly great creativity, but nice to have a needle and thread going. Everything is in place for my bookmark-making except uninterrupted time. I'm sure this is partly procrastination, but then I also think of having a big project of tiny bits out when all my grandboys arrive Friday - yipes.

FelineFriend

Postby FelineFriend » Sun Jul 13, 2014 8:50 pm

Harriet, How many grandboys arrive on Friday? What are their ages? :?:

Your DD's coffee spilling sketch sounded like she's portraying drama in a stage play or movie. It's so interesting how the whole "story" of a sketch can change with just 1 expression over spilled coffee, too. Her creativity astounds me. :P

I think that mending and needle and thread are still needlework. :idea:

Hoping to get Dgd's next 15 Grannies done by mid-August and the butterflies crocheted and mounted on those Grannies by the end of August. I'm taking it slowly, so I do the best job possible. This afghan may end up becoming an heirloom for her to pass down through her family, as she matures into a woman. :idea:

I also need to get back to the Norwegian crochet potholder/hot pad pattern, which was translated into Old English. :lol: :roll: :!: I've had to translate Old English into FelineFriend-American language! :mrgreen: Hard to do, but it's been fun to do, too. I learned a lot. ;)

Nancy
Location: Washington state in the Pacific Northwestern part of the USA.

Postby Nancy » Sun Jul 13, 2014 9:15 pm

Got somethings for one gift basket to go with the dish clothes a basket mug and plant pot dish towel. :mrgreen: still need to get gold foil covered coins when it is not so hot out and blue berry miffin mix and blue cake mix.
Last edited by Nancy on Mon Jul 14, 2014 4:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Kathryn-in-Canada
Administrator

Postby Kathryn-in-Canada » Mon Jul 14, 2014 4:16 pm

To help Harriet visualize what I did to hide the thermostat in the dining room.

This may be the only time I ever post here!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

FelineFriend

Postby FelineFriend » Tue Jul 15, 2014 9:20 pm

Beautiful photos, Kathryn! I liked the look! :P

Nancy

Postby Nancy » Wed Jul 16, 2014 5:07 pm

I have done slower progress on current yarn projects this week. Other chores post camping clean up took up more of my time.

LadyMaverick

Postby LadyMaverick » Thu Jul 17, 2014 10:57 am

I absolutely love your dining room! Pictures included! Good job with the creative way of covering up distracting items.
1. Know what you want.
2. Go after it relentlessly.

Nancy

Postby Nancy » Thu Jul 17, 2014 12:18 pm

Thanks for the photos K in C.

I am on the last round of the hot pad today. I need to get going on the white dish cloth cotten cone of P & C yarn next. I have #2 dish cloth past the half way point now.

Neighbors are having a yard sale this weekend so I should clean up the carport put away ice chests etc from camping that are still out. Sigh. Not looking forward to that but I can see the craft stuff beads and fab. Before the sale. :mrgreen:

They have some shutters I want for the hens run for shade and wind protection in winter I can just have after the show. Yea!

Harriet

Postby Harriet » Fri Jul 18, 2014 10:50 am

Pressed some of the lantana (such tiny blossoms I'm not sure they will do well) and a purple wildflower I found growing at the edge of yard.

A very pretty grouping, Kathryn.

Puttingthis little toy airplane about 5 inches wide, onto a sheet cake from grocery store in sky blue and the lady is going to add in a cloud and have the red and green colors in the border and writing. So I'm pleased with my ingenuity in getting an interesting-looking bday cake for child done when I have little time.

I must spend my time going out to find replacement cafe curtains for boys of all things. Hope I can find something cheerful... ... They will not sleep in their room (at my parents' house which will be their home) right now because the curtains did not make it through the wash and the double window is bare. Sigh. I guess I can remember being scared of a big open-looking window in the night. I won't tell them about the time I was awakened one morning by escaped cows eating my mother's bush right there at that window - very loud!

Return to “The Creative Home”