Art, Craft and Needlework, August 2014

A place for Artistry, Crafts and Needlework; Decorating and Holidays.
Nancy
Location: Washington state in the Pacific Northwestern part of the USA.

Re: Art, Craft and Needlework, August 2014

Postby Nancy » Sat Aug 09, 2014 10:41 am

I am knitting a bag for my purse to hold diabetic supplies it is about the size of a sox with no heel.
Last edited by Nancy on Mon Aug 11, 2014 9:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

FelineFriend

Postby FelineFriend » Sat Aug 09, 2014 2:08 pm

I crocheted a catnip pillow for my cat and am working on dgs-5.5's Christmas afghan. I'm getting tired of the afghan now. But I'd love to make it to row 50 today; I'm on row 33 now. :D
"Start where you are. Use what you have. Do what you can." ~ Arthur Ashe

Nancy

Postby Nancy » Sun Aug 10, 2014 12:29 am

I worked on a crochet market bag for my dsis. At the bbq tonight.

FelineFriend

Postby FelineFriend » Mon Aug 11, 2014 8:03 pm

Crocheted on Dgs-5.5's Christmas afghan today. :mrgreen: I ♥ the stitch, it's easy and memorized, it's warm, soft, and comforting to make. I can hardly wait until the edging rows around. It's going to be a beautiful afghan for a beautiful personality plus effervescent boy! :D I LOVE HIM SO MUCH! :!: :P

Nancy

Postby Nancy » Mon Aug 11, 2014 9:33 pm

Today I hemmed 1pr. capri pants, and 1 pr. capri length pjs.

FelineFriend

Postby FelineFriend » Tue Aug 12, 2014 12:00 am

I have a question: :?: I need an idea: :idea: Maybe you- or someone- can help.

I have formal dress, which is ankle-length, lined, sleeveless with a beaded long-sleeved jacket. When the tailor let the dress out at the waist, my waist measured something like 49", but now, my waist is about 36". So naturally, all the fat in my middle, from compared to 2002, when I was the mother of the bride, is gone and the dress hugs my body quite nicely now, but it's far too long and covers my feet. I'm thinking there's a possibility a neighbor can help me pin the hem up, since she sews, or I can put it on, put in a pin, take it off, pin it, try it on again, and if DH says the hem looks okay to him, I'll hem it up. I know how to hem, I'm certain I've got the right shade of thread here, because I used to sew fanatically and have a ton of threads. I hate to bother my neighbor, because she's extremely busy, especially in the summer months, they do excursions, family outings, travel, etc...

I sure wished I had one of those stand-up yard sticks with the squeezable ball of chalk, to mark my own hem. LOL! I hate bothering my neighbor, it's been so long since I've done this, but I believe I can do it myself and want to. I guess the best idea is to mark it, then take it off, pin it up around, and then try it on again, letting DH eyeball it, giving me his opinion. I've got the satin-dyed flats to match the dress, so I'll put them on, too. I am sort of thinking about fixing it up before our Sept. 5th wedding anniversary. It's on a Friday night, but I'd rather go out earlier in the week, for an early dinner somewhere or save the dress for another occasion. At least it now fits much more beautifully in 2014, than it did in 2002. I'm so glad I saved it, didn't ditch it when I lost weight and kept the protective plastic on it. The tailor gave me some beads, too, in case any fell off. It'd be nice to be able to get all fixed up to go out. :D :D

BookSaver
Administrator

Postby BookSaver » Tue Aug 12, 2014 4:15 pm

FelineFriend ~ Your dress sounds beautiful. My advice would be to put on the dress with the bra and shoes you will wear with it. Ask your neighbor or DH to put a few pins in the back where it touches the floor. Then you decide how many inches you want it off the floor and pin it up according to that measurement. That way your neighbor or DH are spending a minimum amount of time crawling on the floor, and they are not trying to guess how long you want the dress.

But it is very important that you try on the dress with the bra as well as the shoes. It is surprising how much difference undergarments make with a formal dress. Plus that will confirm whether or not you have the right bra, for example that the straps will not show.

FelineFriend

Postby FelineFriend » Tue Aug 12, 2014 8:32 pm

I didn't even THINK about wearing the bra, during pin-up time! Thanks so much for your input, Booksaver! :D Your idea's very smart-sounding to me. It helps me to envision it into easier baby-steps now, too. The bra won't show because it's a sleeveless dress with a jacket. I need to figure out which bra to wear with it.

Also, this might be a silly question: Do I need to wear a long slip with the dress if my dress is already lined? :?: I cannot find my slip I wore with it in 2002 at the wedding. We moved only 27 feet into the new house from the old house. I'll go look again, in the bunny room closet, where the dress had been hanging until I put it into my walk-in closet. It's just vanished on me, was a nice slip, and was calf-length, too. However, I do have an off-white and another black half slips. :idea:

Nancy

Postby Nancy » Wed Aug 13, 2014 1:22 pm

I am knitting up gauge for socks / mittens today.

FelineFriend

Postby FelineFriend » Wed Aug 13, 2014 5:35 pm

Crocheting on the Christmas afghan again today. I wonder how long it'll take for me to get it finished. :?: I've been baby stepping it, so it's not going as fast as I'd love it to go. :(

Return to “The Creative Home”