Art, Craft and Needlework, August 2014

A place for Artistry, Crafts and Needlework; Decorating and Holidays.
FelineFriend

Re: Art, Craft and Needlework, August 2014

Postby FelineFriend » Fri Aug 22, 2014 10:46 pm

Elizabeth, I've recently seen a zig-zag dishcloth and hanging dishtowel pattern like the same idea as what you made, too. Also, there are nice zig-zag scarves and hat patterns. Of course there are ripple afghans, too. I like the pattern. It's entertaining and not boring-looking. It has pizazz. :D
"Start where you are. Use what you have. Do what you can." ~ Arthur Ashe

FelineFriend

Postby FelineFriend » Sun Aug 24, 2014 9:14 pm

My post disappeared! :!: :shock: It's never happened to me, here, before, on this site, but others have mentioned it! :o

I have a Dfriend in SC who has a yellow kitchen. Last March, I sent her a reversible crocheted hat for her 62nd b-day. This Christmas I want to crochet potholders. :idea: I went through my yarns on cones in P 'n' C. I found two 1/3-left variegated yellows cones and 1/2 yellow solid cone. I decided to make the center yellow, then add strips of variegated, with a yellow stripe, ending in variegated. I want to try to find wooden or metal rings at WM, to sew on for hanging rings. I think my chained or chained-SC inside-loops are flimsier after washing and using them quite awhile. I felt that securely sewn on rings would add style, plus can hold up longer and go through the washer and dryer easily, too. My preference are the wooden rings, rather than metal, because I'm concerned about rusting over time with metal rings. :idea:

Happy Crochet, Everyone! :mrgreen: And knitting, artwork, sewing, etc.. TOO! :P

Nancy
Location: Washington state in the Pacific Northwestern part of the USA.

Postby Nancy » Sun Aug 24, 2014 11:39 pm

I have knit up a few more dish clothes this weekend.

FelineFriend

Postby FelineFriend » Mon Aug 25, 2014 1:44 pm

I found these P 'n' C cone yarns in my arsenal:

Yellow
Yellow/white variegated
White

I'm crocheting the origami potholders. I chained 40 chains, SC in 2nd ch from hook, down to the end, and up the other side of the chain. My patter is:

2 rows bright yellow,
2 rows variegated yellow
2 rows white

I'll continue this pattern, until it lays flat. I'll sew it closed, do the other mate and when we get wooden or metal rings, I'll sew them onto it.

UNLESS SOMEBODY CAN LET ME KNOW IF CABONE RINGS ARE WASHABLE/CAN DRY IN THE DRYER??? :?: :?: :?:

FelineFriend

Postby FelineFriend » Tue Aug 26, 2014 2:45 pm

:mrgreen: I figured out the Christmas afghan pattern sequence for DGS-5.5:

18" striping
6" bright red in the center
18" following the same striping pattern as in the beginning

Then, add a 4 - 5" border around in 3 colors. :idea: I'll edge in the MC = red, with soft brown, and tan or forest green.

I got tired of going around and around and around on potholder #2. :roll: :lol: I'm taking a "break" to work on DGS-5.5's afghan now. When I get his done, I'll go back to the DGD-20-months butterflies Grannies afghan and the potholder.

The butterflies Grannies afghan is very "challenging" to make. Tiny butterflies, bodies, attached to Grannies, and Grannies are joined. :roll: I think I'll dream about butterflies in my sleep! If it gets "to me", I'll start DGD-3.5 Christmas afghan, after 5.5's is done. :P I'd sure LOVE ♥ ♥ ♥ to get ALL 3 grands' afghans done by Oct. 1. Go-Granny-Go! :!: :mrgreen:

I have kitchen sets for 2 Dfriends to do, after these are done, for Christmas, too. I'm uncertain if I'll do anymore because writing short stories is a priority, too. :idea:

Nancy

Postby Nancy » Tue Aug 26, 2014 3:35 pm

I have several partial cones of cotton yarn that I am working up in dish clothes currently.
Last edited by Nancy on Sat Aug 30, 2014 9:26 am, edited 1 time in total.

FelineFriend

Postby FelineFriend » Thu Aug 28, 2014 10:10 pm

I cut up a lonely tree landscape photograph greeting card in a sunset. I framed it for my office. It's the only creative thing I've done today. But my eyes were dilated a lot of the day and I'm wearing a wrist brace, unable to crochet for now. :(

FelineFriend

Postby FelineFriend » Fri Aug 29, 2014 11:19 pm

:mrgreen: I went to Walmart today. :P I got Dalmatian Peaches 'n' Cream 100% cotton worsted kitchen yarn on the 1-Lb. cone. I'd ordered the same one years ago, from their site, but they're based in either NC or SC and the shipping/handling is a real KILLER to WA State! :shock: I was thrilled to find it at Walmart today. :!: :D We have black granite tile counters in the kitchen. The water marks get on them badly and then you need to dry them quickly or they'll leave marks. :roll: DH insisted, a long time ago, that I crochet kitchen mats. This way, soap, water, etc.. are on the mats and not the counters. :idea: I have one for:
1- Under the window sill to the left of the sink, with soap, sponge, nail brush, lotion, etc.. on it.
2- To the left of the sink, on the counter above the cutting board for recycle things. We immediately take things out to the recycle bin, too.
3- To the right of the dish drainer, in front above the DW, for glasses and things needing to go into the DW.
4- To the right of the dish drainer, behind the other mat, only more square, to fit in the spot, also for dishes going into the DW.

We use the mats for the DW a lot, especially when the DW needs to be filled or emptied. We try to keep the mats bare, but when there are a lot of dishes used or company here, the extra mats come in so handy.

With the black and white spotted yarn I got today, I can edge it in black (I have a cone!) or edge it in white. OR I can make the mats be striped with the Dalmatian for 2 rows and then black for 1 row or something contrasting like that. :idea: If I did that, I think it'd be pretty to use white edging. :idea:

There were no circular wooden or silver 1-inch rings. Just metal D-rings. :( I decided to crochet the loops, using a chain, then slip stitch into the potholder, next to where I chained the chain, then do SC, inside the loop, until it's full of SC stitches. Then, I fasten off, hide the loose end inside the loop SC stitches. It makes a much more rugged hanging chain than merely a chain only. It's a thicker loop, but last a long, long time. :mrgreen:

Nancy

Postby Nancy » Sat Aug 30, 2014 9:31 am

I finished up a white dish cloth this weekend. Got one done earlier in the week a lot also.

FelineFriend

Postby FelineFriend » Sun Aug 31, 2014 6:44 pm

I'm going to clean a green framed photograph of a lighthouse and put it in our guest/main bathroom. In there, we have a green theme going on for color with white. DD gave us large forest green 3 bugs, which are on the counter in there. I think they're cute. I have a green candle in a glass jar/with lid and sea shells in a tray, too.

I'm going to clean a mint green framed calligraphy quote to put on my desk in the Bunny Room. Or perhaps I'll put it on my desk here, in the small office. I just don't know right now. I'll READ it in my office here and in the Bunny Room, it'll be in the distance on the corner of the desk and often overlooked. :idea:

I did a "Google" search on whether or not I could wash and dry cabone rings. When I did, my question posted HERE in this thread, came up! :lol: I then phoned Joann's Fabrics & Crafts, asked a pro on the phone. She advised not washing them, because they could become detached during agitation and spinning in the washer. She also said it'd be better to air dry flat, rather than in the dryer, for fear of melting the plastic. :idea: :!: :mrgreen: I'll tell my Dfriends, whom I send the potholders to, with attached cabone rings, to spot wash or wash by hand and flat dry. They may not even use them! :!: Often times, when I give Dfriends something I've made for the kitchen, they say it's too pretty to use! :!: They use kitchen items from me for decoration only. :?: Oh, well. At least they'll make their kitchens look homier and prettier. Right? :P I'm glad I got a good answer for cabone rings and their washing/drying procedures. :mrgreen:

Return to “The Creative Home”