***Holiday Planning, 2014***

A place for Artistry, Crafts and Needlework; Decorating and Holidays.
FelineFriend

Re: ***Holiday Planning, 2014***

Postby FelineFriend » Mon Dec 29, 2014 12:30 am

Been doing what a Dfriend calls, "UNDECORATING"! :lol: I'm re-decorating as I go, too. We'll leave our decorative mini-Cardinals tree up though, for a bit longer, and I need to remove the wreath over the main bathroom toilet. I cannot remember where I put the shell-fish-netting wreath, which was up there, now! :oops: :?: I need to go on a "hunting expedition" into closets, etc.. I think it might be in our hall storage cupboard, just outside that particular bathroom. :idea: :arrow: :?:
"Start where you are. Use what you have. Do what you can." ~ Arthur Ashe

blessedw2

Postby blessedw2 » Mon Dec 29, 2014 10:33 am

Happy Undecorating d Friend and d Nancy! :D :D :D

today: making the old cards that pam and peggy used to do for what is in the Christmas boxes. (most are packed)
I think they marked the boxes with a 3 x 5 card -Xmas 1, 2, 3 etc. and then made a 3x5 card Xmas 1, 2, 3 etc. with a basic list of what was inside. -

Many things tossed or recycled: all greenery recycled and other greenery tossed that would not be taken by the city.

I also took pictures of what worked before taking the items down.

I also learned that I can not have anything stored in non plastic boxes - everything has to be in, sealed with duct tape, plastic boxes because of seasonal mice

other goal: as I get rid of Christmas cards and envelopes I will make labels for next year... it's rare that people move -

Next year: cook ahead - I didn't this year for the Christmas holiday - I spent more money on eating out than was reasonable.
it is always a joy to be here with you!

Nancy
Location: Washington state in the Pacific Northwestern part of the USA.

Postby Nancy » Mon Dec 29, 2014 1:48 pm

Christmas items are stored in clear totes here. I am working on putting stuff away a bit at a time. Wreath is down cards are made into tree ornaments. Love having progress on this to report.

FelineFriend

Postby FelineFriend » Tue Dec 30, 2014 1:37 am

I purged cards, 1 or 2 days ago.

I continue to put away a few items, as the days go by.

blessedw2

Postby blessedw2 » Tue Dec 30, 2014 4:01 pm

Great work getting those holiday items away in see through boxes as well!!! awesome d nancy.

Also great work to d friend for getting rid of some cards and putting things away a bit at a time!

I still have 2 things that must be put downstairs today from Christmas - Jan 2 I am taking down the family room tree and putting it out recycler of fresh trees

Harriet

Postby Harriet » Tue Dec 30, 2014 10:58 pm

I'd have quite a "debriefing" this year.

First, there's no doubt that if Christmas cards aren't at least in the works or hopefully almost done by Oct 31, there's a problem. It always seems so early each year, but it really isn't. Throw in any "monkey wrench" or detour, any problem, and the season will be tough if those cards are still to be done.

It's hard for me to be anything but positive about my Angel Tree work this year. It was really on-target to what Christmas is all about. Still, I must not stick my head in the sand and pretend it wasn't extremely time-consuming. So if I am asked to do it next year, I just need to be realistic.

Another thought I've had is that the live tree seems to bother HRH, insofar as allergy-like symptoms. Definitely something to think about, because even though the tradition of the live tree is dear to my heart, his well-being is worth more.

Mine were the only bows or ribbons on any present at dfirstinlaw's party, even though 9 households brought presents. That is really something to digest for me. I seem to be marching to the beat of a different drummer. (An older, or old-fashioned drummer.) If I just threw all 10 gifts in bags and stuck a piece of tape on top I'd probably be giving myself a day or two of rest. So why not.

Really want a buffet of party-type foods next year for our family party. The whole traditional dinner is just exhausting and steams up the whole house, causing HRH and I to miss so much conversation. Sandwiches are a great idea!

Harriet

Postby Harriet » Tue Dec 30, 2014 11:10 pm

I noticed an idea at a friend's house.

She took the two photos I sent her (of our two daughters together) and cut the corners away, then glued glitter around the edges in about 1/4-inch bands. She made them into ornaments.

She also gave dd wall decor. She took copies of years worth of photos of the girls and laid them out into the shapes of each of dd's initials. Then she laminated each letter. The letters are about 14 inches high each.

FelineFriend

Postby FelineFriend » Wed Dec 31, 2014 2:51 am

I did some more (what BFF calls...) "Undecorating" today, followed by dusting and re-decorating.

We're planning on light foods, then watching Fireworks from the Needle (Space Needle) on TV tomorrow. I hope I'll be awake because I always get a kiss at midnight. ♥ ;)

Nancy
Location: Washington state in the Pacific Northwestern part of the USA.

Postby Nancy » Wed Dec 31, 2014 11:45 am

For holiday debrief aka reality check! Will have do the holiday account differently next year that is for sure I want to make sure there is actually some in it when I need it! Duh.This was more than a minor irritation more like a major snufu needless to say broke holidays are a drag! Gald it is nearly over.
Last edited by Nancy on Wed Dec 31, 2014 5:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

blessedw2

Postby blessedw2 » Wed Dec 31, 2014 12:54 pm

d Harriet
- i love that Idea of taking the holiday card and making it into an ornament. I am doing that with the old photos a family (the old old ones) because some I find very special.
- I totally agree about Holiday cards - mine are not done yet (some sent out but not all) I also am putting another set of labels for next year together
-re: tree gifts - can it be a team rather than one person.. like room mom's do for their children's class - someone handles a-e, f-p etc... and email each other with progress.
-You had so much joy making your bows this year - you don't have to do it all the if you don't want but you should be proud that learned something new and beautiful and shared that beautiful gift -

d Nancy I hear you!!! and I will be joining you and planning ahead this year financially for Christmas

d Feline - Have a lovely New Years eve -
great job on un-decorating.

For me: Christmas starts in January this year... I am going to try it out (not the present thing for sure)

1. My first plan January 2 is to start a savings account for the holidays. I will see if they have a Christmas account at the bank...
2. Also start collecting Stocking stuffers along the way (when I find them) we tend to do silly and practical things such as razors, their favorite shampoo etc. I can buy those monthly.
3. So today I put it on my financial calendar for next year.
4. Each month before next year - get tapes changed to computer dvd's
5. for my girls and my mother: send pictures to place that makes them into books (so my mom can have them in Florida as well) - separate parts of their life - wedding for d mom, girls their family history.
6. every other year we do a family white elephant game which is very funny. December 2015 - I already have an idea for that.

Return to “The Creative Home”