Art, Craft and Needlework, September 2014

A place for Artistry, Crafts and Needlework; Decorating and Holidays.
BookSaver
Administrator

Art, Craft and Needlework, September 2014

Postby BookSaver » Mon Sep 01, 2014 11:39 am

September has been National Sewing Month for several years. Have you seen any flyers about this in your local fabric stores?

A few of you have been quite diligent about keeping up on gifts for Christmas. WTG!

My sewing group will be having a charity sew-in on the 13th to spend a few hours sewing school uniforms for children in Haiti. We are helping another larger group which is a cooperative of several churches. I was told that the other group will provide the fabric pieces already cut for us. We just need to take our machines. We will be able to choose whether to sew a shirt, skirt, or shorts. I'm looking forward to the day.

Of course, this thread is for all types of arts & crafts -- cake decorating, drawing & painting, crochet & knitting, flowers, scrapbooking and other paper techniques, interior and exterior decorating ... What a variety of talents are shown here!

Nancy
Location: Washington state in the Pacific Northwestern part of the USA.

Re: Art, Craft and Needlework, September 2014

Postby Nancy » Mon Sep 01, 2014 7:27 pm

I knitted about 4 rows on a white dish cloth. I will be trying to get the rest of the cotton cones of yarn knit up working on that. Down to the last bit of white.
Last edited by Nancy on Wed Sep 03, 2014 4:30 pm, edited 2 times in total.

FelineFriend

Postby FelineFriend » Tue Sep 02, 2014 2:01 pm

Hi, When I read here last night, the opener to the September thread, I assumed how we can talk about interior decorating. :?: I just wanted to say how my mind said "I'm worth it!" yesterday. So I traded a lead crystal glass for a mug, for pencils and pens, for my desk, to make it more beautiful in here and I took a cut crystal bird Dsis gave me ♥ and a cut crystal kitty, which I inherited from Dmil, when she passed away ♥ in on my office desk. Now I have pretty things, along with my beautiful silk bouquet in an antique vase my Dneighbor, with Demantia/Alzheimer's made with her DD in 2004, for our new (at that time) home we'd just built. I'll always cherish the bouquet because my Dneighbor made it when her mind was still very sharp. It reminds me of our friendship since 1975 and I feel closer to her with it on my desk, because I see it daily and think of her, too. So this is 1 bit of decorating I've done. Also, I framed a lonely tree photograph on a card that DD sent me a note on, and it's on my desk, too. It reminds me that lonely trees (or people) can be beautiful, too. This tree's in a sunset. :D Those are my creative endeavors of late. :mrgreen:
"Start where you are. Use what you have. Do what you can." ~ Arthur Ashe

Sunny

Postby Sunny » Tue Sep 02, 2014 4:31 pm

I like reading this thread, but haven't posted much at all.

I am still working on the quilt for dgs12, but I wanted to do something different so yesterday I made a couple of pincushions. I got the ideas from things I'd seen on Pinterest. One was a small picture frame, 3" x 4"; another one was a small 3" circle stuffed with fiberfill and a small crocheted doily attached on top. The last one was a tiny circle hot glued to an adjustable ring finding for a finger-cushion.
Start by doing what's necessary, then what's possible, and suddenly you are doing the impossible. --- Francis of Assisi

FelineFriend

Postby FelineFriend » Wed Sep 03, 2014 12:47 am

Sunny, Your projects sound so unique and creative. I've been to Pintrest before, I know Ddil gets her ideas for totes, infinity scarves, Dgd's tutus and floral headbands, dresses, etc.. there, too. She looks at a photo, draws out a pattern and sews them up after she cuts them out. She's absolutely amazing.

I've seen ribbons, neckties, lace doilies on quilts before, to sort of make them look antique and unique, too.

I'm torn. I have 2 bins of Grandma's scraps. I want to teach myself to lap quilt in the New Year, but I want to sew my Barbie dolls clothes, too. I need to sort through my scraps to decide "who" gets what scraps for clothes and "who" gets the quilt or lap robe or placemat! :idea: :?: :?: :lol:

Nancy
Location: Washington state in the Pacific Northwestern part of the USA.

Postby Nancy » Thu Sep 04, 2014 10:20 am

I am making doll clothes this week so the nekked doll will have clothes now toddlerN is delighted!

FelineFriend

Postby FelineFriend » Thu Sep 04, 2014 11:40 pm

Do members have a thread here, someplace, in the near future, about Christmas gift-making, decorating, etc.. getting done, which we can discuss back and forth?

I read an old-old-old email, about The Holiday Grand Plan, but I already belong to a writer's group, don't want to belong to another forum, other than this one, for time management reasons and the fact that I KNOW more people here. I don't want to try to get to know a whole lot of new people at a new forum, for sharing about Christmas, when there's a possibility that a thread may start here.

Does anybody know? :?: I can't remember back to last Christmas. :oops: :o Sorry! :!:

BookSaver
Administrator

Postby BookSaver » Fri Sep 05, 2014 12:48 am

FF ~ That thread is right underneath this one in The Creative Home, called
***Holiday Planning, 2014***
Harriet just started it on September 1st.

(edited to add the link to the holiday thread)

Elizabeth

Postby Elizabeth » Fri Sep 05, 2014 3:26 am

Here is a finished object that is going to the state fair. You may recognize it because it is very similar to my entry from last year, but with more improvements and corrections.
ScreenShot086.jpg
ScreenShot087.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Elizabeth

Postby Elizabeth » Fri Sep 05, 2014 3:29 am

Another finished object for state fair. After the purple jacket (which took almost 100 hours!), I needed something easy. This was completed in 3 sessions. I could not find a rose pink yarn, so I tea dyed a regular pink.
ScreenShot088.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Return to “The Creative Home”