Art, Craft and Needlework, September 2014

A place for Artistry, Crafts and Needlework; Decorating and Holidays.
Harriet

Re: Art, Craft and Needlework, September 2014

Postby Harriet » Fri Sep 19, 2014 10:14 pm

Ya'll are very smart to be considering which projects when.

And BookSaver, that's wonderful how your group is doing the uniforms. What a kindness for that one person to just say she would do the buttonholes. It lets everyone else keep on speeding through their contributions rather than stopping for a buttonhole.

What projects when... ... humm.

Projects I want to get to :

more pressed-flower bookmarks

possibly those cloth bookmarks ideas - gifts?

Work on the large quilt - "woods" fabrics
Work on the ideas for a wallhanging
Need to remember that my dear grandson4 still has no quilt like his brothers and cousin do, and he also has a baby brother now. Who knew when I started making grandchild quilts that their would be six grandchidren so quickly?

In general I need to keep organizing in the quilt studio. I got most of the small containers for fabrics placed in the bookcase that gets no sun. That needs more careful planning, though. A few more things need to be brought in. The flannel design wall needs to have two new hangars put up for its rod.

FelineFriend

Postby FelineFriend » Sat Sep 20, 2014 1:53 am

:mrgreen: I'm currently beading. I set my work station up at the business desk my late b-i-l used for his electrician business. He gave it to me when he bought a newer better one. It's got tan metal sides and drawers, like old office file cabinets used to have and a wood-pattern Formica top. It's huge, it's great! I'm making a Seahawks' colors beaded necklace. I'll make wire earrings to match. I haven't beaded for about 4 years now. What's possessed me is--- the Seahawks game airing on Sunday. :P Since the Super Bowl, I've turned into a fan. I might make some Memory Wire bracelets while I'm at it. :idea:

So, it'll be beading, rubber stamping, scrapbooking, and Christmas crochet for me this weekend, while I take breaks to outline stories. :)

Booksaver, Dmom used to take her clothes she sewed, over to the Dneighbor across the street, who would put in buttonholes. I recall as a child, Dmom scolding the buttonhole attachment loudly, several times, when she tried making buttonholes. ;) It's great you have a buttonholer lady in your group. :D

Harriet, I DO believe your bookmarks would make lovely gifts! :idea: :D Also, if you ship them, they're lightweight, would be cheaper, unless you shipped with other things. What a wonderful Christmas card-stuffer though, as long as the card's envelope was large enough.

[b]Nancy,[/b] What are you currently working on now? :?:
"Start where you are. Use what you have. Do what you can." ~ Arthur Ashe

Nancy
Location: Washington state in the Pacific Northwestern part of the USA.

Postby Nancy » Sat Sep 20, 2014 10:26 am

Summer has me in the yd. Outside a lot these days.
I had a doll blanket under way done knitting on it now for the crochet edging. I am also have the pink prayer shawl knitting project going.
Last edited by Nancy on Sat Sep 20, 2014 9:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

FelineFriend

Postby FelineFriend » Sat Sep 20, 2014 5:50 pm

I'm dissatisfied with the beads on the jewelry kit black string. It looks as though it'll fray and break. I've put so much work into it already. But I have Tiger Tail and I have lightweight metal wire to make a more sturdy necklace. I guess if I baby-step the process, it won't be so bad. :idea: The beads are just too beautiful to put on breakable string. :roll: It's a necklace I can wear for dress-up, it's that nice, so I want something that is good quality. It's not a terrible chore to string beads anyway. It's very relaxing. So, I've decided to use something sturdier. I'll be happier in the long-run. :)

DNancy, DH does our outdoor yard work now, mows, prunes, weeds, etc.. I work inside, but occasionally I will groom sedums and succulents.

I was thinking about making DGD-20.5 months a Granny doll blanket with a butterfly in the center, to match her larger Granny blanket with butterflies alternating on the squares. She'll get her butterflies afghan at Christmas and I'll save hr dolly's blanket for her 2nd birthday in Jan. :idea:

WTG on your projects. :!:

Elizabeth

Postby Elizabeth » Mon Sep 22, 2014 4:29 pm

Hi everyone! I just picked up my items from the state fair: 2nd place for the purple jacket and 3rd place for the Barbie dress.

Nancy

Postby Nancy » Tue Sep 23, 2014 10:45 pm

I have finished the babydoll blanket that I have been working on.
Last edited by Nancy on Wed Sep 24, 2014 7:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

FelineFriend

Postby FelineFriend » Wed Sep 24, 2014 12:05 am

:idea: At http://www.redheart.com there are several VERY NICE AND PRETTY pillows. If you go there and search for the pattern names, they'll come up. These are crochet, some look like quilt squares, and there is one that's a cute owl. ;) Here are the titles of the patterns:

1) Pinwheel Pillow
2) Whimsical Owl Pillow (They have other owl crochet household items, too. :idea: :)
3) Alaska Snow Flowers Pillow (Such a beautiful pillow with wonderful colors in both pillow examples!)
4) Plaid Pillow- in red, off-white, grey and black. NICE! :mrgreen:

I just wanted to "share".

Nancy

Postby Nancy » Wed Sep 24, 2014 9:57 am

Ff thanks for that link I cannot wait to check it out. This week I am now working on dish cloths. One done.
Last edited by Nancy on Wed Sep 24, 2014 7:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

FelineFriend

Postby FelineFriend » Wed Sep 24, 2014 2:47 pm

You're welcome, [b]Nancy[/b]. They're so pretty. I'd love to make some in the New Year, for my bed. They'd be a beautiful addition to any home. :)

I started DGS-3.5's Christmas afghan. I'm only on row 3, but I started it finally. I'll work on it when I'm not feeling 100% and am freezing. If I get it long enough, it'll lay across my lap and legs and help warm me up.

Harriet

Postby Harriet » Thu Sep 25, 2014 11:10 pm

About pillows -remember these? My grandmother made several versions. They were lovely.

Elizabeth I know you are quite proud of those ribbons. What technique are you using on the dress/costume you are making now?

Yes, FFriend, I would love to marathon through some bookmarks soon. This weekend is "out" because of painting and commitments at church.

If there's any chance, I will wrap our minister's dd's wedding shower gift, because I delight in giving fancy-wrapped gifts and have done so for others at church. But I am truly overwhelmed right now through weekend and may need to use the convenience of a bag.

Return to “The Creative Home”