Art, Craft and Needlework, October 2014

A place for Artistry, Crafts and Needlework; Decorating and Holidays.
FelineFriend

Re: Art, Craft and Needlework, October 2014

Postby FelineFriend » Fri Oct 24, 2014 12:08 am

Sorry the ripple projects did not work out for you, Nancy. I wonder if that wavier-curvier ripple would work better for you. It sort of reminds me of a wave on an ocean. Kind is like an "S" curve, only over and over, in one long "S"-looking row. Maybe that would be a better fit for you. :idea: :?:

I have my crochet ready for my crochet marathon, during my movie marathon on Saturday. :mrgreen:
"Start where you are. Use what you have. Do what you can." ~ Arthur Ashe

Nancy
Location: Washington state in the Pacific Northwestern part of the USA.

Postby Nancy » Fri Oct 24, 2014 12:49 pm

I am doing the granny ripple it is going good. :mrgreen:

FelineFriend

Postby FelineFriend » Fri Oct 24, 2014 11:27 pm

What colors are in your Granny Ripple afghan, Nancy? Are you doing the smaller size or adult size?

I was wondering what you thoughts were on whether you thought the Granny Ripple afghan would look nice in scrap yarns colors? I have about 6 bins of yarn, to use up. I was "thinking about" using different colors for various rows, in that pattern, but I don't know if it'll look haphazard or not. What do you think? The only other idea I have, is to make the same afghan, I made for DGS's 5.5 & 3.5 for Christmas, and use scraps in mine, like I did theirs. I don't want my Granny Ripple Afghan to look junky, if I use a LOT of different colors.

I haven't crocheted in a few days, but plan on crocheting tomorrow & Sunday, this upcoming week, while I write short stories by hand. I'll alternate between the 2. Also, I've decided to put away the crochet projects at the end of the day, so the dining room & great room remain crochet tote-free. I don't like the clutter of too many totes out at one time. Having them put away is a good thing, for our home, anyway.

Nancy

Postby Nancy » Fri Oct 24, 2014 11:37 pm

Look up granny ripple on u tube for some ideas.
I am doing a shawl width one about half the width of a baby blanket. Mine is touq. Blue and blue ombre and purple ombre for this one. 6 - 8 colors light to dark would be great they said on yarn painting knitting show this week. One I saw on u tube was in rainbow colors.

Scored a knitting tote on wheels with yarn needles hooks at a yd sale. Happy happy happy me! Dish cloth patterns too.

FelineFriend

Postby FelineFriend » Sat Oct 25, 2014 12:32 am

I went & did a "Google" Search on "Granny Ripple Afghan Ideas" & a *LOT* of "Pintrest" photos came up. I simply looked at their photos, in a big splash of photos at one time/one sitting, rather than needing to watch time-consuming You Tube videos. I clicked on 1 image from Tumblir, printed it up, to give me ideas. It's very pretty using different colors, once every 2 rows, not following any sort of pattern sequence. So in the New Year - 2015, I know what my projects will be!
1- A Granny Ripple Scrap Afghan, from my "stash" on hand, not needing to purchase any yarns, for quite awhile....
2- Finishing a Granny Afghan, for myself.
3- Learning how to make fabric scrap Yo-Yo's.
4- Mastering lap quilting.
5- Trying small easy-to-do quilting by hand OR machine projects.
6- Making Barbie doll clothes from fabric scraps.
7- Making cards ahead, to send to others, to bless them, or give away as gifts OR donate to St. Jude's Children's Research Hospital in Memphis, TN.
8- Scrapbooking.
9- Sketching & pen 'n' ink again.
10- Calligraphy again.
I used to make cards, sketch, do pen 'n' ink, & calligraphy all the time! I have the desire to get "into" them again, too. :mrgreen:

I have an art tote on wheels, but I use it for crochet items. It's very handy to be able to wheel it anywhere in the house. I rarely use it, but might start. Thanks for reminding me of it! :)

Ramblinrose

Postby Ramblinrose » Sat Oct 25, 2014 4:13 pm

Nancy... I saw this and thought of you ;-)

How to make your own sidewalk chalk...

http://ohmyhandmade.com/2010/hands/home ... alk-chalk/
Live Boldly, Take Risks, No Regrets...Jilliam Michaels

Ramblinrose

Postby Ramblinrose » Sat Oct 25, 2014 4:16 pm

This is the site where all these creative ideas come from...its additive, sorry to say, even for those of us who are crafty challenged :lol:

http://thewhoot.com.au/newsletter
Live Boldly, Take Risks, No Regrets...Jilliam Michaels

Nancy

Postby Nancy » Sat Oct 25, 2014 9:45 pm

Ff glad you thought of Pintrist even better!

FelineFriend

Postby FelineFriend » Sun Oct 26, 2014 9:05 pm

Nancy,[/color]I'll try that Pintrest trick again! It saves on searching on-line, for searching You Tube videos, too. I just printed 1 image, which was about 4" x 6" on white paper, & it served its purpose, to give me a good idea of what a scrap Granny Ripple looks like in random colors. I liked it!

I worked on a short story today, for my creativity, but I'm planning to crochet this evening, during TV shows, relax, & try to finish 1 project, before I begin another.

This week:
1- I want to complete the last potholder,
2- I want to start & finish a red walker-tote for an elderly dfriend who doesn't have 1 for her walker,
3- I'd love to crochet 13 butterflies pairs of wings, with their matching bodies, then stitch them all onto white Granny squares, join, then edge the Granny afghan & put it away, to launder in December, so it's fresh & cuddly soft, like I did last year. It works out great that way.
4- I'll gather up other crochet projects, for the 3 youngest grands for Christmas, to get started on those, before OR on next weekend. [/color]

FelineFriend

Postby FelineFriend » Wed Oct 29, 2014 6:06 pm

:idea: 1- I think I'm going to make myself a "Mind Map."
:idea: 2- I can put it on a legal pad OR notebook paper, in my Holiday Journal.
:idea: 3- I can add holiday projects to be crocheted.
:idea: 4- I can add exercise, chores, & things to do between now & the New Year, too.

Return to “The Creative Home”